A potential success story. Or just a cool thing to look at.

A potential success story. Or just a cool thing to look at.

David Zmick-2
I am a high school student and I am going to be a senior this year. College seems pretty competitive these days, so I figured that if I want to get a computer science degree(which I do), it might really help with admissions to have some sort of project I have done to show off. So, my dad and I discussed it and we came up with a project idea. The project is simple: create an extremely user friendly decision matrix style decision analysis tool.

Next I whipped out my high school programmer skills and attempted to make this thing. I discovered I don't know nearly as much as I would like to, but I have a functional version of my tool running(hopefully it still is by the time you read this) and I would like you guys to check it out and tell me what you think.

So here is my college admission/pretty useful seaside app: http://which-one.org

things I know need working on:
- enter button needs to work, hitting enter breaks things or does nothing.
- I should make focus jump to the text boxes in lightboxes.

other than that i have nothing else that I have found wrong, so please please find more things for me to learn from!

thanks in advance.

--
David Zmick

Re: A potential success story. Or just a cool thing to look at.

Paul DeBruicker
On 06/30/2011 01:14 AM, David Zmick wrote:

> things I know need working on:
> - enter button needs to work, hitting enter breaks things or does nothing.
> - I should make focus jump to the text boxes in lightboxes.

I think its neat that you've done this.

I think you can get the enter to work in the dialogs by giving the form
and 'next' button an id and using some javascript (in a separate file)
like this:

(function ($) {
     $.fn.catchEnter = function () {
         $('#form').keydown(function (e) {
             if (e.keyCode == 13) {
                 e.preventDefault();
                 $('#next').click();
             }
         });
     };
})(jQuery);

The escape key often closes the dialog boxes but it wasn't doing it on
your page

People only need an account if they want to return to use the product.
So maybe let people play with it without creating an account and then
keep a box on the side encouraging them to save/register after they
enter some decision criteria.  You can add a flag in the user object to
mark when the session was created and if they registered and if its been
a day (hour/day/week) and they didn't register you can safely assume
they aren't going to register an wipe out their demo user.

In the same vein setting up an already populated demo account could be
helpful.  Maybe use the same info you use in your video.

On your about page you need some spaces between 'Thetool' and
'forserious'.

Good luck

Re: A potential success story. Or just a cool thing to look at.

David Zmick-2

demo/demo works as a test account.

And thank you for the feedback, I will see what I can do with escape and enter as soon as possible.

On Jun 30, 2011 6:37 AM, "Paul DeBruicker" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 01:14 AM, David Zmick wrote:
>>
>> things I know need working on:
>> - enter button needs to work, hitting enter breaks things or does nothing.
>> - I should make focus jump to the text boxes in lightboxes.
>>

> I think its neat that you've done this.
>

> I think you can get the enter to work in the dialogs by giving the form
> and 'next' button an id and using some javascript (in a separate file)
> like this:
>
> (function ($) {
> $.fn.catchEnter = function () {
> $('#form').keydown(function (e) {
> if (e.keyCode == 13) {
> e.preventDefault();
> $('#next').click();
> }
> });
> };
> })(jQuery);
>
> The escape key often closes the dialog boxes but it wasn't doing it on
> your page
>

> People only need an account if they want to return to use the product.
> So maybe let people play with it without creating an account and then
> keep a box on the side encouraging them to save/register after they
> enter some decision criteria. You can add a flag in the user object to
> mark when the session was created and if they registered and if its been
> a day (hour/day/week) and they didn't register you can safely assume
> they aren't going to register an wipe out their demo user.
>
> In the same vein setting up an already populated demo account could be
> helpful. Maybe use the same info you use in your video.
>
> On your about page you need some spaces between 'Thetool' and
> 'forserious'.
>

> Good luck

Re: A potential success story. Or just a cool thing to look at.

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
fantastic David

one interesting idea:  a decision stream. People seeing other people's decisions would make possible to perceive trends and crowd thinking  (but only publish if they shared it voluntarily)

things to fix: design in general, starting with margins
tip: try to get designer's feedback and suggestions

On 06/30/2011 07:53 AM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
> tip: try to get designer's feedback and suggestions

Or just spend $1-$20 at http://www.themeforest.net for starters and
shoe-horn your site into the theme.