A question about NetLdi process starting sequence

A question about NetLdi process starting sequence

Kevin Szabo-2

Hello Folks,

I have a Gemstone/S system that I look after.  Recently the installation developed some problems that I thought was due to a corrupted NetLdi process.  I was mistaken, but in the process of debugging I stopped and restarted NetLdi without bringing down the rest of GemStone.

Discussing this with a colleague he suggested that I may cause some future system instability since he believed that NetLdi must be the first process started (before the Stone and the Cache).

Have I put the system into a fragile state?  Gemstone/S is tremendously reliable and we frequently have amazing uptimes.  Should I bring the system down and restart NetLdi etc?

Thanks,
Kevin Szabo

Re: A question about NetLdi process starting sequence

James Foster-9
Hi Kevin,

While it is common to start NetLDI before other processes, it is not necessary. In fact, because NetLDI is used primarily to start RPC Gems, some systems do not have it at all (i.e., they only use linked Gems). Sometimes we intentionally stop and restart the NetLDI so that we can enable or disable debugging (the -d option). A single NetLDI can support any number of databases (stones)--as long as they are the same version--and there is no explicit connection between a NetLDI and a Stone. They are very independent and you do not need to bring the stone down just because the NetLDI was restarted.

But do feel free to give us more details about the tremendous reliability and amazing uptimes!

James