A question about application deployment.

A question about application deployment.

Rayne
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToDeployAnApplication

Oh that page, it talks about "shrinking" an image: "Reduce the image size by throwing out anything that is not required by your app and which is useless for your customer (unit tests, dev tools)."

but it doesn't explain /how/ to do so. How does one "throw out" stuff like unit tests and dev tools?

Re: A question about application deployment.

Adrian Lienhard
See the methods #cleanUpForRelease and #cleanUpForProduction. The last one e.g., removes all unit tests.

HTH,
Adrian

On Mar 13, 2010, at 05:47 , Rayne wrote:

> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToDeployAnApplication
>
> Oh that page, it talks about "shrinking" an image: "Reduce the image size by
> throwing out anything that is not required by your app and which is useless
> for your customer (unit tests, dev tools)."
>
> but it doesn't explain /how/ to do so. How does one "throw out" stuff like
> unit tests and dev tools?

Re: A question about application deployment.

Mariano Martinez Peck
Be aware there are much more cleanUps or shrinks that can be done regarding the needs of your application. I am playing  a bit with them now.

Esteban did a lot of shrinks for a PharoCore image so that to run on IPhone (less than 5 MBs).

Cheers

Mariano

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
See the methods #cleanUpForRelease and #cleanUpForProduction. The last one e.g., removes all unit tests.

HTH,
Adrian

On Mar 13, 2010, at 05:47 , Rayne wrote:

> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToDeployAnApplication
>
> Oh that page, it talks about "shrinking" an image: "Reduce the image size by
> throwing out anything that is not required by your app and which is useless
> for your customer (unit tests, dev tools)."
>
> but it doesn't explain /how/ to do so. How does one "throw out" stuff like
> unit tests and dev tools?

Re: A question about application deployment.

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, there certainly is a lot of stuff that can be removed (I'm currently working on removing the requires algorithm and making it reloadable from an external package).

I'd love to see the other cleanup scripts. Esteban, could you share what you did to get a <5MB image?

Cheers,
Adrian