A question about keyfiles

Vincent Coetzee
Hi Guys
My name's Vince Coetzee, I am a Smalltalker, and Gemstone user for
many years but am just getting into Seaside and GLASS. I run on Mac OS
X Server 10.6.2. I downloaded GS/S 2.3.1 and as far as I can see all
the shared memory settings are set and working correctly. I got the
script fiddled to work, download and install, but I am struggling to
get the netldi going without a keyfile. I got the impression from the
docs that this was not necessary. Am I missing something obvious or
have I missed some piece of documentation.
Thanks
Vincent

Sent from my iPhone

Re: A question about keyfiles

otto
Hi!

Glad to see old Smalltalkers coming back! Yes, netldi should start
without a key file. netldi usually logs in /opt/gemstone/log; if you
have a look there & send us some more info it may help.

Cheers
Otto

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Vincent Coetzee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys
> My name's Vince Coetzee, I am a Smalltalker, and Gemstone user for many
> years but am just getting into Seaside and GLASS. I run on Mac OS X Server
> 10.6.2. I downloaded GS/S 2.3.1 and as far as I can see all the shared
> memory settings are set and working correctly. I got the script fiddled to
> work, download and install, but I am struggling to get the netldi going
> without a keyfile. I got the impression from the docs that this was not
> necessary. Am I missing something obvious or have I missed some piece of
> documentation.
> Thanks
> Vincent
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: A question about keyfiles

Vincent Coetzee
My Goodness is that Otto from Momentum ?  I will have a look tomorrow
and see. It's been a good 5 years since I Smalltalked but Seaside and
Gemstone/S seem like a Godsent combination. I probably did something
dumb. Vince

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Mar 2010, at 18:31, Otto Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Glad to see old Smalltalkers coming back! Yes, netldi should start
> without a key file. netldi usually logs in /opt/gemstone/log; if you
> have a look there & send us some more info it may help.
>
> Cheers
> Otto
>

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Vincent Coetzee <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>> My name's Vince Coetzee, I am a Smalltalker, and Gemstone user for
>> many
>> years but am just getting into Seaside and GLASS. I run on Mac OS X
>> Server
>> 10.6.2. I downloaded GS/S 2.3.1 and as far as I can see all the
>> shared
>> memory settings are set and working correctly. I got the script
>> fiddled to
>> work, download and install, but I am struggling to get the netldi
>> going
>> without a keyfile. I got the impression from the docs that this was
>> not
>> necessary. Am I missing something obvious or have I missed some
>> piece of
>> documentation.
>> Thanks
>> Vincent
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: A question about keyfiles

James Foster
Vincent,

Welcome back! If you want to try out a Cocoa-based wrapper for GemStone that attempts to simplify the install process, see http://seaside.gemstone.com/jade/ and select the first link.

James

On Mar 30, 2010, at 8:32 AM, Vincent Coetzee wrote:

> Hi Guys
> My name's Vince Coetzee, I am a Smalltalker, and Gemstone user for many years but am just getting into Seaside and GLASS. I run on Mac OS X Server 10.6.2. I downloaded GS/S 2.3.1 and as far as I can see all the shared memory settings are set and working correctly. I got the script fiddled to work, download and install, but I am struggling to get the netldi going without a keyfile. I got the impression from the docs that this was not necessary. Am I missing something obvious or have I missed some piece of documentation.
> Thanks
> Vincent
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: A question about keyfiles

Vincent Coetzee
Thanks will do, but I do need to understand what's going on under the
hood on Darwin anyway.
Thanks, it's good to be back !

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Mar 2010, at 20:14, James Foster <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Vincent,
>
> Welcome back! If you want to try out a Cocoa-based wrapper for
> GemStone that attempts to simplify the install process, see http://seaside.gemstone.com/jade/
>  and select the first link.
>
> James
>
> On Mar 30, 2010, at 8:32 AM, Vincent Coetzee wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys
>> My name's Vince Coetzee, I am a Smalltalker, and Gemstone user for
>> many years but am just getting into Seaside and GLASS. I run on Mac
>> OS X Server 10.6.2. I downloaded GS/S 2.3.1 and as far as I can see
>> all the shared memory settings are set and working correctly. I got
>> the script fiddled to work, download and install, but I am
>> struggling to get the netldi going without a keyfile. I got the
>> impression from the docs that this was not necessary. Am I missing
>> something obvious or have I missed some piece of documentation.
>> Thanks
>> Vincent
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: A question about keyfiles

otto
Yes, in the same way that you are Vincent from RMB :-) Seaside &
GemStone is a great combination. Enjoy!

--
www.FinWorks.biz
+27 82 809 2375