A question for Instatiations: Bad Magic Cookie

A question for Instatiations: Bad Magic Cookie

Long Haired David
Having hita sort of brick wall with Seaside, I thought that I would get WebConn working again. I used this on my shop website for some 7 years without issue so I know what I am doing. It turns out that I don't as I can't get it to start up. I have everything installed and "sort of"working but I keep getting the following web response.

"
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Web Server Interface Error</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<H1>
Web Server Interface Error
</H1>
ABT.WSB.7.e: No class responded to this request.
</BODY>
</HTML>
"
I spent ages messing with this. In the end I looked at the Errors tab in the Web Server Interface Monitor to find that I have the followng pair of messages for every request.
ABT.WST.6.e: Protocol Error: bad magic cookie
ABT.WSB.16.e:Part was requested but is not available.

It would seem that there is something amiss in the transmission and not my code.
Can anyone shed any light on this bad magic cookie stuff?
David

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: A question for Instatiations: Bad Magic Cookie

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 11:42:05 AM UTC-8, Totally Objects wrote:
[...]

A quick Google search yielded the following link as its second suggestion:
http://computer-programming-forum.com/3-smalltalk/a635a69c11e1c77c.htm

It looks like it should apply.

Re: A question for Instatiations: Bad Magic Cookie

Long Haired David
Nope, didn't work for me.  I tried all combinations of wsi-tcp and cgi-link and got the same results. I have tried searching the image for the words "bad magic cookie" but there is nothing there that I can find. Someone at Instantiations must have coded this or has tested WebConn with 8.6.3 and has a fix, surely? Or they can explain what I am doing wrong? As I have installed as per the instructions, I really need some guidance here. Maybe no-one else uses it now so this hasn't come up?

BTW, the documentation has lost all reference to the port in any calling url.

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 8:49:57 PM UTC, Richard Sargent wrote:
[...]

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: A question for Instatiations: Bad Magic Cookie

Seth Berman
Hello David,

webconn is distributed with the sources and binaries, but we could no longer build them since the makefiles were created for ancient versions of compilers that don't exist anymore.
In recent times there was one supported customer that we did some webconn custom mods for, and they used the ISAPI extensions.

In 8.6.1 we were forced to update the makefiles.  I am aware of, and have a working case for, an issue with the cgi-mod.
We don't have many customers that use it anymore and we don't have good testbeds for it, however I do plan to spin up some small testing scenarios since I would like the webconn code at least 64-bit clean and to figure out the cgi issue.

If your having problems with CGI, I would give the webconn binaries produced before 8.6.1 a try.

-- Seth

On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 3:40:54 PM UTC-5, Totally Objects wrote:
[...]

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: A question for Instatiations: Bad Magic Cookie

drdcmattinson
This is a (very cautious) reply to the last item on this thread.

If WIndows 2012 won't allow you to install
an earlier image of VA Smalltalk
have you considered installing
an earlier version of Windows on a VM
and then running that VM under Windows 2012 ?

While I have been waiting for the 64-bit upgrade to VAST
I have been using VMware Workstation Professional VMs
running older versions of Windows
to run older versions of VA Smalltalk
for legacy development and maintenance purposes.

This post is also a (very cautious) attempt to contact David at Totally Objects.

I have looked up Totally Objects on Google
and, while it remembers that there was a www.totallyobjects.com
when I try to browse the web site for that domain
I get http 404 - page not found errors.

I would like to ask David from Totally Objects
some business-related questions directly.

I have posted this reply from a gmail account
but I would like to invite him to e-mail me at:
- [hidden email]
in order to explore possible further contacts.

I hope that by doing so
I have not contravened post protocol.

Thanks

David Mattinson

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 2:42:05 PM UTC-5, Totally Objects wrote:
[...]

We are here. We were just moving servers and I messed up the DNS!

You got me by e-mail as well so you should havean answer by now.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good one but we have decided that we can find awork around in Seaside that gets us off our big problem.

Thanks