A question in Metaclass chapter

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Hello,

Metaclasses.tex has a sentence:

----------------------
\clsind{Behavior} provides the minimum state necessary for objects
that have instances: this includes a superclass link, a method
dictionary, and a description of the instances (\ie representation and
number).

Re: A question in Metaclass chapter

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  And, it says that "the notion of a name (abstract)," is something
that ClassDescription adds to Behavior.  What is "the notion of a name
(abstract)"?

-- Yoshiki

Re: A question in Metaclass chapter

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Sorry for short messages... But the chapter  also says:
-----------------------
\ct{Class} knows how to create instances, so all metaclasses should
inherit ultimately from \ct{Class}.
-----------------------

Before this, however, it was about Behavior knowing how to create
instances.  And the use of "should" here somewhat contradicts to the
idea that metaclass creation is "implicit".

For this one, the right question to ask perhaps, is "can I remove the
line?"  Or any suggestions to the improvement?

Then (second question in an email), there is a part that says:
-----------------------
\ct{Metaclass} represents common metaclass behaviour.
It provides methods for instance creation (\lct{sub\-class\-Of:})
creating initialized instances of the metaclass's sole instance,
-----------------------

But what is subclassOf:?  Is it something to do with "methods for
instance creation"?  Does a Metaclass actually instanciate its sole
instance?

 Thanks you!

-- Yoshiki

Re: A question in Metaclass chapter

stephane ducasse
problably the number of instance variables.

Stef

On Oct 25, 2011, at 8:17 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> Metaclasses.tex has a sentence:
>
> ----------------------
> \clsind{Behavior} provides the minimum state necessary for objects
> that have instances: this includes a superclass link, a method
> dictionary, and a description of the instances (\ie representation and
> number).

Re: A question in Metaclass chapter

stephane ducasse
no idea on this one :)

Stef

On Oct 25, 2011, at 8:25 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>  And, it says that "the notion of a name (abstract)," is something
> that ClassDescription adds to Behavior.  What is "the notion of a name
> (abstract)"?
>
> -- Yoshiki

Re: A question in Metaclass chapter

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:12 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
problably the number of instance variables.

or maybe "representation AS number" ?  because at the end, the instVar "format" is a number that says nothing as it is, because it stores several numbers together. To get real value you have to do use #instSpec, #instSize etc.

Stef

On Oct 25, 2011, at 8:17 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> Metaclasses.tex has a sentence:
>
> ----------------------
> \clsind{Behavior} provides the minimum state necessary for objects
> that have instances: this includes a superclass link, a method
> dictionary, and a description of the instances (\ie representation and
> number).

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: A question in Metaclass chapter

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Okay.  It sounds like there is a room for me to make a few things
better in the Japanese version^^;

-- Yoshiki

On Oct 25, 2011, at 8:41 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>  Okay.  It sounds like there is a room for me to make a few things
> better in the Japanese version^^;

usre please let us know your changes so that we can log them and retrofit into the main branch.

> -- Yoshiki
>
> At Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:35:18 +0200,
> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:12 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>    problably the number of instance variables.
>>
>> or maybe "representation AS number" ?  because at the end, the instVar "format" is a number that says nothing as it is, because it stores several numbers together. To get real value you have
>> to do use #instSpec, #instSize etc.
>>

>>    Stef
>>
>>    On Oct 25, 2011, at 8:17 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>>
>>>  Hello,
>>>
>>> Metaclasses.tex has a sentence:
>>>
>>> ----------------------
>>> \clsind{Behavior} provides the minimum state necessary for objects
>>> that have instances: this includes a superclass link, a method
>>> dictionary, and a description of the instances (\ie representation and
>>> number).
>>
>> --
>> Mariano
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>

>> [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

Re: A question in Metaclass chapter

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  For these few points reported in this thread, I just took liberty
and "fixed" them, and submit a pull request.

-- Yoshiki

Re: A question in Metaclass chapter

stephane ducasse
thanks!