A question on packages

12

A question on packages

hbalaraman
Hi All,
I’m a smalltalk newbie that is getting acquainted with Cuis. I was wondering how one adds packages. I downloaded Aida from https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida
and would like to install it. If there are pointers you can provide or a web page you can point me to I would very much appreciate it.
Regards,
Hari

Re: A question on packages

KenDickey
On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 09:45:07 -0400
Hari Balaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I’m a smalltalk newbie that is getting acquainted with Cuis. I was wondering how one adds packages. I downloaded Aida from https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida

> and would like to install it. If there are pointers you can provide or a web page you can point me to I would very much appreciate it.

Hari,

Welcome aboard!

The quick answer -- from the Aida README.md page is to invoke

  Feature require: 'Aida'

in a Workspace.

This assumes you have Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev and Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida as sibling directories.

You can also select the package file in a File List and click the 'Install Package' button.  Any packages required by that package should get loaded as well.

It is probably worth your time to check out the Cuis development Documentation in

 https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/tree/master/Documentation

The docs should cover the 'nuts and bolts' of what you need, but please ask questions so that we can make the docs better.

If you need details on Smalltalk usage -- as opposed to being a Smalltalk programmer looking at Cuis, you might look at http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks , where there is a trove of free books on Smalltalk.

Enjoy!
-KenD

-KenD

Re: A question on packages

hbalaraman
HI Ken,
Thank you. The process kicked off when I followed your instructions. However it gave me an error message mentioning a “Network-Mime” dependancy (I think.)
I navigated the issue by creating a package of my putative application and importing it into German Arduino’s Aida image.
Best regards,
Hari

On Jun 26, 2014, at 11:01 AM, Ken Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 09:45:07 -0400
> Hari Balaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I’m a smalltalk newbie that is getting acquainted with Cuis. I was wondering how one adds packages. I downloaded Aida from https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida
>
>> and would like to install it. If there are pointers you can provide or a web page you can point me to I would very much appreciate it.
>
> Hari,
>
> Welcome aboard!
>
> The quick answer -- from the Aida README.md page is to invoke
>
>  Feature require: 'Aida'
>
> in a Workspace.
>
> This assumes you have Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev and Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida as sibling directories.
>
> You can also select the package file in a File List and click the 'Install Package' button.  Any packages required by that package should get loaded as well.
>
> It is probably worth your time to check out the Cuis development Documentation in
>
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/tree/master/Documentation
>
> The docs should cover the 'nuts and bolts' of what you need, but please ask questions so that we can make the docs better.
>

> If you need details on Smalltalk usage -- as opposed to being a Smalltalk programmer looking at Cuis, you might look at http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks , where there is a trove of free books on Smalltalk.
>

> Enjoy!
> -KenD

Re: A question on packages

garduino
Hi Hari:

Welcome to Cuis.

About Aida I should say that this version is 6.5 and, as I asked in another thread, I have not ended the port of 6.6 (And taking in account that there is not much interest in the community it's highly possible that I stop such port because myself not need it anymore).

Anyway, you can find here http://www.arduinosoftware.com/cuis/ an Aida 6.5 image working but, of course, is with an old version of Cuis.

HTH.

HI Ken,
Thank you. The process kicked off when I followed your instructions. However it gave me an error message mentioning a “Network-Mime” dependancy (I think.)
I navigated the issue by creating a package of my putative application and importing it into German Arduino’s Aida image.
Best regards,
Hari

On Jun 26, 2014, at 11:01 AM, Ken Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 09:45:07 -0400
> Hari Balaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I’m a smalltalk newbie that is getting acquainted with Cuis. I was wondering how one adds packages. I downloaded Aida from https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida
>
>> and would like to install it. If there are pointers you can provide or a web page you can point me to I would very much appreciate it.
>
> Hari,
>
> Welcome aboard!
>
> The quick answer -- from the Aida README.md page is to invoke
>
>  Feature require: 'Aida'
>
> in a Workspace.
>
> This assumes you have Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev and Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida as sibling directories.
>
> You can also select the package file in a File List and click the 'Install Package' button.  Any packages required by that package should get loaded as well.
>
> It is probably worth your time to check out the Cuis development Documentation in
>
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/tree/master/Documentation
>
> The docs should cover the 'nuts and bolts' of what you need, but please ask questions so that we can make the docs better.
>

> If you need details on Smalltalk usage -- as opposed to being a Smalltalk programmer looking at Cuis, you might look at http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks , where there is a trove of free books on Smalltalk.
>

> Enjoy!
> -KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: A question on packages

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hari,

Welcome aboard.

On 6/26/2014 9:31 PM, Hari Balaraman wrote:
> HI Ken,
> Thank you. The process kicked off when I followed your instructions. However it gave me an error message mentioning a “Network-Mime” dependancy (I think.)

Please try to reproduce the problem and  describe the exact steps to do
it. This way, you will help us enhance Cuis.

Best regards,
Juan Vuletich

> I navigated the issue by creating a package of my putative application and importing it into German Arduino’s Aida image.
> Best regards,
> Hari

Re: A question on packages

hbalaraman
Hi Juan,

No worries.

These are the steps:

- I was using the Cuis4.2-2009.image in a folder with a sibling folder titled "Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida-master”  downloaded from https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida

- I opened a workspace, typed in      Feature require: ‘Aida’

- I selected the text, right clicked it, chose "Smalltalk Options" and selected “Do it” [I though Apple-D does the same thing but it appears not]

- A window entitled “Scanning Aida.pck.st” appeared which takes a very very long time to progress (+30 mins - it uses enough cpu to cause my laptop to run up the fans)

- Another window titled “Processing Aida.pck.st" appeared

- After +60 minutes, a window appears with “Error: Could not find package supplying feature: FeatureRequirement(Cuis-Network-MIME 1.0 to *.*)

[At this point I don’t know whether the installation was not-at-all, partially or entirely successful]

Regards,

Hari

On Jun 27, 2014, at 8:04 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hari,
>
> Welcome aboard.
>
> On 6/26/2014 9:31 PM, Hari Balaraman wrote:
>> HI Ken,
>> Thank you. The process kicked off when I followed your instructions. However it gave me an error message mentioning a “Network-Mime” dependancy (I think.)
>
> Please try to reproduce the problem and  describe the exact steps to do it. This way, you will help us enhance Cuis.
>
> Best regards,
> Juan Vuletich
>
>> I navigated the issue by creating a package of my putative application and importing it into German Arduino’s Aida image.
>> Best regards,
>> Hari

Re: A question on packages

garduino
Hi Hari:

Yes, the filein of the Aida packages take a long long time. For that reason I provided the preloaded image that I pointed in my previous mail.

The error with the prereq Cuis-Network-MIME is because you need also clone (better than download the master branch) the repo where this package is.

But for learn about installing, prereq, etc, Aida is not the best package (very big and slow to load), and with each prereq that you need may have the interruption of the process. I suggest that you try with other packages for example Swazoo (the web server).

To use Aida, try with the preloaded image that I pointed before.

HTH.

Hi Juan,

No worries.

These are the steps:

- I was using the Cuis4.2-2009.image in a folder with a sibling folder titled "Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida-master”  downloaded from https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida

- I opened a workspace, typed in      Feature require: ‘Aida’

- I selected the text, right clicked it, chose "Smalltalk Options" and selected “Do it” [I though Apple-D does the same thing but it appears not]

- A window entitled “Scanning Aida.pck.st” appeared which takes a very very long time to progress (+30 mins - it uses enough cpu to cause my laptop to run up the fans)

- Another window titled “Processing Aida.pck.st" appeared

- After +60 minutes, a window appears with “Error: Could not find package supplying feature: FeatureRequirement(Cuis-Network-MIME 1.0 to *.*)

[At this point I don’t know whether the installation was not-at-all, partially or entirely successful]

Regards,

Hari

On Jun 27, 2014, at 8:04 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hari,
>
> Welcome aboard.
>
> On 6/26/2014 9:31 PM, Hari Balaraman wrote:
>> HI Ken,
>> Thank you. The process kicked off when I followed your instructions. However it gave me an error message mentioning a “Network-Mime” dependancy (I think.)
>
> Please try to reproduce the problem and  describe the exact steps to do it. This way, you will help us enhance Cuis.
>
> Best regards,
> Juan Vuletich
>
>> I navigated the issue by creating a package of my putative application and importing it into German Arduino’s Aida image.
>> Best regards,
>> Hari

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: A question on packages

KenDickey
On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:21:30 -0300
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
..
> The error with the prereq Cuis-Network-MIME is because you need also clone
> (better than download the master branch) the repo where this package is.

Germán,

It would be helpful for each of us to point out the required non-core packages in the README.md file.

Easy to forget this.

-KenD

-KenD

Re: A question on packages

garduino
Yes Ken, I agree.

I would try to update the doc, but I will abandon the port of Aida (for now), seems that do not exist interest in the community and I really do not have the needed free time.

Cheers.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:21:30 -0300
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
..
> The error with the prereq Cuis-Network-MIME is because you need also clone
> (better than download the master branch) the repo where this package is.

Germán,

It would be helpful for each of us to point out the required non-core packages in the README.md file.

Easy to forget this.

-KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Explicit status of packages (was Re: A question on packages)

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

I think all packages hosted outside the main Cuis repo should include, near the top of the README.md file something like:

Latest Cuis known to work with: #1923
Required packages:
    SomePackageName.pck.st, from www.github.com/UserName/RepoName

etc.

Possible status could be
'Currently maintained'
'In development (not usable yet)'
'Abandoned (adopt it if you want, the community will help you)'
etc.

Germán, can you do something like this for Aida?

Folks, can you do something like this for your packages?

Or, correct, augment, discuss, etc :)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 6/27/2014 8:17 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
Yes Ken, I agree.

I would try to update the doc, but I will abandon the port of Aida (for now), seems that do not exist interest in the community and I really do not have the needed free time.

Cheers.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:21:30 -0300
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
..
> The error with the prereq Cuis-Network-MIME is because you need also clone
> (better than download the master branch) the repo where this package is.

Germán,

It would be helpful for each of us to point out the required non-core packages in the README.md file.

Easy to forget this.

-KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: A question on packages

Juan Vuletich-4
One hour!

I usually deal with small packages and I wasn't aware of this huge
performance problem. I will work on it. I hope to be able to reduce this
time significantly during next week.

I will also enhance the error message, to make it clear whether
something was actually loaded or not...

WRT how to get Aida working, you might look for some package named
'Cuis-Network-MIME', I could find it easily by googling a bit. Or you
might use Germán's preloaded image. He did the port, so he's best to advice.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 6/27/2014 1:33 PM, Hari Balaraman wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> No worries.
>
> These are the steps:
>
> - I was using the Cuis4.2-2009.image in a folder with a sibling folder titled "Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida-master”  downloaded from https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida
>
> - I opened a workspace, typed in      Feature require: ‘Aida’
>
> - I selected the text, right clicked it, chose "Smalltalk Options" and selected “Do it” [I though Apple-D does the same thing but it appears not]
>
> - A window entitled “Scanning Aida.pck.st” appeared which takes a very very long time to progress (+30 mins - it uses enough cpu to cause my laptop to run up the fans)
>
> - Another window titled “Processing Aida.pck.st" appeared
>
> - After +60 minutes, a window appears with “Error: Could not find package supplying feature: FeatureRequirement(Cuis-Network-MIME 1.0 to *.*)
>
> [At this point I don’t know whether the installation was not-at-all, partially or entirely successful]
>
> Regards,
>
> Hari
>

> On Jun 27, 2014, at 8:04 AM, Juan Vuletich<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Hari,
>>
>> Welcome aboard.
>>
>> On 6/26/2014 9:31 PM, Hari Balaraman wrote:
>>> HI Ken,
>>> Thank you. The process kicked off when I followed your instructions. However it gave me an error message mentioning a “Network-Mime” dependancy (I think.)
>> Please try to reproduce the problem and  describe the exact steps to do it. This way, you will help us enhance Cuis.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>
>>> I navigated the issue by creating a package of my putative application and importing it into German Arduino’s Aida image.
>>> Best regards,
>>> Hari

Re: Explicit status of packages (was Re: A question on packages)

garduino
Hi Juan:

I would try to make something for all my packages but the main problem that I can see is that for lines as:

Latest Cuis known to work with: #1923

they'll be outdated quickly.

Aida in particular, should be at 6.6 level, the main loading problems in 6.5 are related with big methods containing javascript stuff (as JQuery and others).

At the point where I'm in the port lot of this problems do not exist anymore because big changes in Aida.

As I've said before, I should find the time (or the sponsor!!) to end the port.

Cheers.

Hi Folks,

I think all packages hosted outside the main Cuis repo should include, near the top of the README.md file something like:

Latest Cuis known to work with: #1923
Required packages:
    SomePackageName.pck.st, from www.github.com/UserName/RepoName

etc.

Possible status could be
'Currently maintained'
'In development (not usable yet)'
'Abandoned (adopt it if you want, the community will help you)'
etc.

Germán, can you do something like this for Aida?

Folks, can you do something like this for your packages?

Or, correct, augment, discuss, etc :)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 6/27/2014 8:17 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
Yes Ken, I agree.

I would try to update the doc, but I will abandon the port of Aida (for now), seems that do not exist interest in the community and I really do not have the needed free time.

Cheers.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:21:30 -0300
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
..
> The error with the prereq Cuis-Network-MIME is because you need also clone
> (better than download the master branch) the repo where this package is.

Germán,

It would be helpful for each of us to point out the required non-core packages in the README.md file.

Easy to forget this.

-KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Explicit status of packages (was Re: A question on packages)

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Germán,

On 6/28/2014 11:37 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:
Hi Juan:

I would try to make something for all my packages but the main problem that I can see is that for lines as:

Latest Cuis known to work with: #1923

they'll be outdated quickly.

Of course. That's why it is most important to set the "last good" date and Cuis update number. The point is to make users of the package really aware of how out of date the package is!

Aida in particular, should be at 6.6 level, the main loading problems in 6.5 are related with big methods containing javascript stuff (as JQuery and others).

At the point where I'm in the port lot of this problems do not exist anymore because big changes in Aida.

As I've said before, I should find the time (or the sponsor!!) to end the port.

Cheers.

Sure. But looking like updated, and being obsolete is the _worst_ possible scenario. We all would like to be able to work on our projects at will. But in reality, stuff gets obsolete over time. So let people know easily about that.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Hi Folks,

I think all packages hosted outside the main Cuis repo should include, near the top of the README.md file something like:

Latest Cuis known to work with: #1923
Required packages:
    SomePackageName.pck.st, from www.github.com/UserName/RepoName

etc.

Possible status could be
'Currently maintained'
'In development (not usable yet)'
'Abandoned (adopt it if you want, the community will help you)'
etc.

Germán, can you do something like this for Aida?

Folks, can you do something like this for your packages?

Or, correct, augment, discuss, etc :)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 6/27/2014 8:17 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
Yes Ken, I agree.

I would try to update the doc, but I will abandon the port of Aida (for now), seems that do not exist interest in the community and I really do not have the needed free time.

Cheers.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:21:30 -0300
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
..
> The error with the prereq Cuis-Network-MIME is because you need also clone
> (better than download the master branch) the repo where this package is.

Germán,

It would be helpful for each of us to point out the required non-core packages in the README.md file.

Easy to forget this.

-KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Explicit status of packages (was Re: A question on packages)

Casey Ransberger-2
I love it. But I had a thought: what happens when the user of a package isn't human? It seems like these little bits of essential information might be very valuable to have in the image too, sort of like a "package header" in the package file (just Smalltalk chunk code, of course.)

Maybe it's not that useful, but I think it might gel well with the package system to ensure that useful information like this makes it into the image. Then, I think, Ken Dickey's 'requirements' could potentially at some later time make good use of the information (I'm thinking a dialog pops and says something like "The package you want to install requires Cuis version X, but you're running Cuis version X-1. Continuing may hose your image. [OK, Hose It] [No, Abort Mission].")

Of course I can probably get better copy from the marketing department for the button text.

Or maybe I'm over thinking things again. Thoughts?

--C

P.S. [OT NERDERY]

Anyone here play Kerbal Space Program? I'm in love. I also haven't been productive since I got it, unless one counts designing a rocket to carry a little green man to his nearby moon and get him back again safely as productivity. It's great though, after playing the game for a couple of weeks, without resorting to any kind of math, I have an intuitive grasp of orbital mechanics, which makes me want to resort to the math next, to deeply understand, because my rockets will be smaller and more efficient if I can understand the science deeply. I think every little kid should have this game. It's really effective at giving you the sense of how incredibly vast the solar system is (much less the universe!) and how very small our Pale Blue Dot really is.

P.P.S.

We really should put Cuis in space if we can. I bet we can...

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Cheers.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:21:30 -0300
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
..
> The error with the prereq Cuis-Network-MIME is because you need also clone
> (better than download the master branch) the repo where this package is.

Germán,

It would be helpful for each of us to point out the required non-core packages in the README.md file.

Easy to forget this.

-KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Explicit status of packages (was Re: A question on packages)

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 22:19:03 -0700
Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (I'm thinking a dialog pops and says
> something like "The package you want to install requires Cuis version X,
> but you're running Cuis version X-1. Continuing may hose your image. [OK,
> Hose It] [No, Abort Mission].")

Cuis has this already.

One of the choices in the Installed Packages browser's Add Requirement menu is Cuis-Base.  This adds a requirement for the current Cuis image version.

As you missed it, could you suggest a better naming convention?

I also think doing a nicer job of telling the user that a required package is unavailable is useful.

Feel free to sketch something out.  My time is way over-booked at present.. :^|

-KenD

-KenD

On 29/06/2014 02:19 a.m., Casey Ransberger wrote:

> I love it. But I had a thought: what happens when the user of a
> package isn't human? It seems like these little bits of essential
> information might be very valuable to have in the image too, sort of
> like a "package header" in the package file (just Smalltalk chunk
> code, of course.)
>
> Maybe it's not that useful, but I think it might gel well with the
> package system to ensure that useful information like this makes it
> into the image. Then, I think, Ken Dickey's 'requirements' could
> potentially at some later time make good use of the information (I'm
> thinking a dialog pops and says something like "The package you want
> to install requires Cuis version X, but you're running Cuis version
> X-1. Continuing may hose your image. [OK, Hose It] [No, Abort Mission].")

Yes! As Ken also said, the information is all there, in the .pck.st
files. What we need is better use of that information in the Cuis image.
Casey, or anybody else, feel free to help with this. I'm short of time
and with a long to-do list...

> Of course I can probably get better copy from the marketing department
> for the button text.
>
> Or maybe I'm over thinking things again. Thoughts?

Not at all. This is the kind of thing we need.

> --C
>
> P.S. [OT NERDERY]
>
> Anyone here play Kerbal Space Program? I'm in love. I also haven't
> been productive since I got it, unless one counts designing a rocket
> to carry a little green man to his nearby moon and get him back again
> safely as productivity. It's great though, after playing the game for
> a couple of weeks, without resorting to any kind of math, I have an
> intuitive grasp of orbital mechanics, which makes me want to resort to
> the math next, to deeply understand, because my rockets will be
> smaller and more efficient if I can understand the science deeply. I
> think every little kid should have this game. It's really effective at
> giving you the sense of how incredibly vast the solar system is (much
> less the universe!) and how very small our Pale Blue Dot really is.
>
> P.P.S.

Cool! I bet you're having lots of fun

> We really should put Cuis in space if we can. I bet we can...

:)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: A question on packages

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

Today I uploaded a few updates and a new image. Now the prerequisite
analysis is immensely  faster. You get the "missing prerequisite"
message within seconds. And (as before), no code is loaded at all.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 28/06/2014 10:34 a.m., Juan Vuletich wrote:

> One hour!
>
> I usually deal with small packages and I wasn't aware of this huge
> performance problem. I will work on it. I hope to be able to reduce
> this time significantly during next week.
>
> I will also enhance the error message, to make it clear whether
> something was actually loaded or not...
>
> WRT how to get Aida working, you might look for some package named
> 'Cuis-Network-MIME', I could find it easily by googling a bit. Or you
> might use Germán's preloaded image. He did the port, so he's best to
> advice.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> On 6/27/2014 1:33 PM, Hari Balaraman wrote:
>> Hi Juan,
>>
>> No worries.
>>
>> These are the steps:
>>
>> - I was using the Cuis4.2-2009.image in a folder with a sibling
>> folder titled "Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida-master”  downloaded from
>> https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-Smalltalk-Aida
>>
>> - I opened a workspace, typed in      Feature require: ‘Aida’
>>
>> - I selected the text, right clicked it, chose "Smalltalk Options"
>> and selected “Do it” [I though Apple-D does the same thing but it
>> appears not]
>>
>> - A window entitled “Scanning Aida.pck.st” appeared which takes a
>> very very long time to progress (+30 mins - it uses enough cpu to
>> cause my laptop to run up the fans)
>>
>> - Another window titled “Processing Aida.pck.st" appeared
>>
>> - After +60 minutes, a window appears with “Error: Could not find
>> package supplying feature: FeatureRequirement(Cuis-Network-MIME 1.0
>> to *.*)
>>
>> [At this point I don’t know whether the installation was not-at-all,
>> partially or entirely successful]
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hari
>>

>> On Jun 27, 2014, at 8:04 AM, Juan Vuletich<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hari,
>>>
>>> Welcome aboard.

>>> Please try to reproduce the problem and  describe the exact steps to
>>> do it. This way, you will help us enhance Cuis.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Juan Vuletich

Two questions

hbalaraman
Folks,

I have two questions and many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice you can offer:

1. I was wondering about how to create new classes from the workspace rather than changing a class definition in a browser and saving.

I’ve been attempting to use "newSubclassOf: newSuper type: type instanceVariables: instVars from: oldClass" for ClassBuilder in Kernel-Classes but cannot decipher how to format the instance variables argument.

This is what I type into my workspace:

m:= ClassBuilder new.
m newSubclassOf: NewClass type: Object instanceVariables: ‘newinstvariable' from: SubClassOfNewClass

The reason I am doing is - I am trying to find a way to generate new class definitions in my application from a GUI rather than type things into a browser. So this is my first step.

2. Why does the mouse always highlight the window it is over? I find that more often than not, when I highlight text from one workspace or from a browser window and look to copy into a workspace or inspector, I move the arrow out of the way to focus on what I am typing but therefore end up typing or deleting in some other window because that window is not automatically brought to the front by the pointer. Is there a way I can change this default behaviour?

Best regards,

Hari

Re: Two questions

hbalaraman
Apologies for stuffing your mailboxes.. Figured it out. I use the superclass method of the ClassBuilder class.
Regards,
Hari

On Jul 10, 2014, at 1:03 PM, Hari Balaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have two questions and many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice you can offer:
>
> 1. I was wondering about how to create new classes from the workspace rather than changing a class definition in a browser and saving.
>
> I’ve been attempting to use "newSubclassOf: newSuper type: type instanceVariables: instVars from: oldClass" for ClassBuilder in Kernel-Classes but cannot decipher how to format the instance variables argument.
>
> This is what I type into my workspace:
>
> m:= ClassBuilder new.
> m newSubclassOf: NewClass type: Object instanceVariables: ‘newinstvariable' from: SubClassOfNewClass
>
> The reason I am doing is - I am trying to find a way to generate new class definitions in my application from a GUI rather than type things into a browser. So this is my first step.
>
> 2. Why does the mouse always highlight the window it is over? I find that more often than not, when I highlight text from one workspace or from a browser window and look to copy into a workspace or inspector, I move the arrow out of the way to focus on what I am typing but therefore end up typing or deleting in some other window because that window is not automatically brought to the front by the pointer. Is there a way I can change this default behaviour?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Hari

12