A remote workspace

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

Following the discussion on VM remote administration (
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-users/2010-May/000268.html
), I started working on something like a remote workspace. So far, I'm
able to connect to a VM running Pharo with netcat, and execute some
code. It is not much, but it was fun to write, and I learned a lot of
things :)

Now, before I add new features, I feel I should ask if someone would
be interested by this, and what use case you would imagine:
-Connecting from another VM or sticking with netcat?
-Remote debugging (might not be easy, but should be fun to do)
-Sending commands to a lot of VMs at once (and querying status)
-Multiple connections possibles?
-Being able to save a session (like http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ )
-Authentication/encryption? Is there a way to use openssl, or should I
steal the 3DES code from RFB (it should be quick enough for text only
communication)?

Best regards,

Geoffroy

Re: A remote workspace

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Geoffroy! This sounds extremely cool. My little advice is try to concentrate in performance. I mean, you can have all the features you want, but if you have to wait 5 seconds for each character you type, then it will not make sense. So, from my point of view, is to get an acceptable performance writing in the workspace. After that, you can add features.

Just my opinion.

Hope you continue with this work.

Mariano

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:31 AM, Geoffroy Couprie <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael van der Gulik-2
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Geoffroy Couprie
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Following the discussion on VM remote administration (
> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-users/2010-May/000268.html
> ), I started working on something like a remote workspace. So far, I'm
> able to connect to a VM running Pharo with netcat, and execute some
> code. It is not much, but it was fun to write, and I learned a lot of
> things :)
>
> Now, before I add new features, I feel I should ask if someone would
> be interested by this, and what use case you would imagine:
> -Connecting from another VM or sticking with netcat?
> -Remote debugging (might not be easy, but should be fun to do)
> -Sending commands to a lot of VMs at once (and querying status)
> -Multiple connections possibles?
> -Being able to save a session (like http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ )
> -Authentication/encryption? Is there a way to use openssl, or should I
> steal the 3DES code from RFB (it should be quick enough for text only
> communication)?

There's a package called REPLServer for Squeak which does the above.
It has command line editing and history.

It doesn't have a debugger yet. I use it to "reboot" Morphic to get
back to a debugger after a bad crash. Nor does it have session
management, but that could be added easily. I never thought of doing
that.

REPLServer just uses telnet and only listens to localhost. I figured
that if anybody wants to do secure stuff, then they could SSH into the
remote host and then use telnet from the command line to get to
Squeak.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: A remote workspace

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

2010/5/13 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Geoffroy! This sounds extremely cool. My little advice is try to
> concentrate in performance. I mean, you can have all the features you want,
> but if you have to wait 5 seconds for each character you type, then it will
> not make sense. So, from my point of view, is to get an acceptable
> performance writing in the workspace. After that, you can add features.

Well, for now, there is no problem with performance, because the
command is sent only when I hit enter, and the result is returned
immediatly after execution. But completion could be added.

Re: A remote workspace

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Michael van der Gulik
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Geoffroy Couprie
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Following the discussion on VM remote administration (
>> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-users/2010-May/000268.html
>> ), I started working on something like a remote workspace. So far, I'm
>> able to connect to a VM running Pharo with netcat, and execute some
>> code. It is not much, but it was fun to write, and I learned a lot of
>> things :)
>>
>> Now, before I add new features, I feel I should ask if someone would
>> be interested by this, and what use case you would imagine:
>> -Connecting from another VM or sticking with netcat?
>> -Remote debugging (might not be easy, but should be fun to do)
>> -Sending commands to a lot of VMs at once (and querying status)
>> -Multiple connections possibles?
>> -Being able to save a session (like http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ )
>> -Authentication/encryption? Is there a way to use openssl, or should I
>> steal the 3DES code from RFB (it should be quick enough for text only
>> communication)?
>
> There's a package called REPLServer for Squeak which does the above.
> It has command line editing and history.

Aww, you just killed my first real Smalltalk program :(

Well, I'll try it!

> It doesn't have a debugger yet. I use it to "reboot" Morphic to get
> back to a debugger after a bad crash. Nor does it have session
> management, but that could be added easily. I never thought of doing
> that.
>
> REPLServer just uses telnet and only listens to localhost. I figured
> that if anybody wants to do secure stuff, then they could SSH into the
> remote host and then use telnet from the command line to get to
> Squeak.

Yes, SSH tunnels work really well. Right now, my server listens on locahost too.

Best regards,

Geoffroy

Re: A remote workspace

Andrei Stebakov
You are a godsend! I was just asking about this feature on the list...
1) Should be reasonably fast
2) Should use secure connection (ideally ssh).

I'd rather teach Pharo communicate via standard input/output first so you can use it as a command line tool, then expand this ability to talk via any variant of TCP/IP.
I am very new to Pharo so I don't know the extent it's married to its GUI environment, not sure how easy it is to implement...

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Geoffroy Couprie <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Geoffroy Couprie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Michael van der Gulik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Geoffroy Couprie
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Following the discussion on VM remote administration (
>>> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-users/2010-May/000268.html
>>> ), I started working on something like a remote workspace. So far, I'm
>>> able to connect to a VM running Pharo with netcat, and execute some
>>> code. It is not much, but it was fun to write, and I learned a lot of
>>> things :)
>>>
>>> Now, before I add new features, I feel I should ask if someone would
>>> be interested by this, and what use case you would imagine:
>>> -Connecting from another VM or sticking with netcat?
>>> -Remote debugging (might not be easy, but should be fun to do)
>>> -Sending commands to a lot of VMs at once (and querying status)
>>> -Multiple connections possibles?
>>> -Being able to save a session (like http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ )
>>> -Authentication/encryption? Is there a way to use openssl, or should I
>>> steal the 3DES code from RFB (it should be quick enough for text only
>>> communication)?
>>
>> There's a package called REPLServer for Squeak which does the above.
>> It has command line editing and history.
>
> Aww, you just killed my first real Smalltalk program :(
>
> Well, I'll try it!

Don't be sad, maybe you could port (and adapt) the REPLServer to Pharo
and put it on SqueakSource in order to load it in the image very
easily. It's already a lot of work and it might interested a lot of
people in the Pharo community.

Best regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: A remote workspace

On May 13, 2010, at 12:31 AM, Geoffroy Couprie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Following the discussion on VM remote administration (
> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-users/2010-May/000268.html
> ), I started working on something like a remote workspace. So far, I'm
> able to connect to a VM running Pharo with netcat, and execute some
> code. It is not much, but it was fun to write, and I learned a lot of
> things :)

this is cool.

> Now, before I add new features, I feel I should ask if someone would
> be interested by this, and what use case you would imagine:
> -Connecting from another VM or sticking with netcat?
> -Remote debugging (might not be easy, but should be fun to do)
+++
> -Sending commands to a lot of VMs at once (and querying status)
+++
> -Multiple connections possibles?
> -Being able to save a session (like http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ )
> -Authentication/encryption? Is there a way to use openssl, or should I
> steal the 3DES code from RFB (it should be quick enough for text only
> communication)?

having good support there would be reallllllllllly really cool.

Stef

> Best regards,
>
> Geoffroy

Re: A remote workspace

On May 13, 2010, at 12:46 AM, Geoffroy Couprie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Michael van der Gulik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Geoffroy Couprie
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Following the discussion on VM remote administration (
>>> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-users/2010-May/000268.html
>>> ), I started working on something like a remote workspace. So far, I'm
>>> able to connect to a VM running Pharo with netcat, and execute some
>>> code. It is not much, but it was fun to write, and I learned a lot of
>>> things :)
>>>
>>> Now, before I add new features, I feel I should ask if someone would
>>> be interested by this, and what use case you would imagine:
>>> -Connecting from another VM or sticking with netcat?
>>> -Remote debugging (might not be easy, but should be fun to do)
>>> -Sending commands to a lot of VMs at once (and querying status)
>>> -Multiple connections possibles?
>>> -Being able to save a session (like http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ )
>>> -Authentication/encryption? Is there a way to use openssl, or should I
>>> steal the 3DES code from RFB (it should be quick enough for text only
>>> communication)?
>>
>> There's a package called REPLServer for Squeak which does the above.
>> It has command line editing and history.
>
> Aww, you just killed my first real Smalltalk program :(

Have a look there is certainly space to improve.
If it works in pharo it would be great to produce a ConfigurationOfREPL for pharo1.0 and pharo1.1

> Well, I'll try it!
>

>> It doesn't have a debugger yet. I use it to "reboot" Morphic to get
>> back to a debugger after a bad crash. Nor does it have session
>> management, but that could be added easily. I never thought of doing
>> that.
>>
>> REPLServer just uses telnet and only listens to localhost. I figured
>> that if anybody wants to do secure stuff, then they could SSH into the
>> remote host and then use telnet from the command line to get to
>> Squeak.
>>

> Yes, SSH tunnels work really well. Right now, my server listens on locahost too.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Geoffroy

Re: A remote workspace

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

2010/5/13 Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]>:

> You are a godsend! I was just asking about this feature on the list...
> 1) Should be reasonably fast
> 2) Should use secure connection (ideally ssh).
>
> I'd rather teach Pharo communicate via standard input/output first so you
> can use it as a command line tool, then expand this ability to talk via any
> variant of TCP/IP.
> I am very new to Pharo so I don't know the extent it's married to its GUI
> environment, not sure how easy it is to implement...

I saw your messages and I thought, "hey, maybe what I'm working on
would interest him" :)

Re: A remote workspace

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 13, 2010, at 12:46 AM, Geoffroy Couprie wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Michael van der Gulik
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> There's a package called REPLServer for Squeak which does the above.
>>> It has command line editing and history.
>>
>> Aww, you just killed my first real Smalltalk program :(
>
> Have a look there is certainly space to improve.
> If it works in pharo it would be great to produce a ConfigurationOfREPL for pharo1.0 and pharo1.1

I tried REPLServer, and it works really well!

It has a dependency on TcpService, so I had to install KomServices and
DynamicBindings. Is there a tutorial somewhere about writing Metacello
configurations?

Best regards,

Geoffroy

Re: A remote workspace

Stéphane Ducasse
yes

http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/metacello-tutorial-updated/

> I tried REPLServer, and it works really well!
>
> It has a dependency on TcpService, so I had to install KomServices and
> DynamicBindings. Is there a tutorial somewhere about writing Metacello
> configurations?

Re: A remote workspace

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

Here is a Metacello configuration for REPL:
http://eleves.ec-lille.fr/~couprieg/divers/ConfigurationOfREPL-GeoffroyCouprie.3.mcz

Is it OK?

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes
>
> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/metacello-tutorial-updated/
>

>> I tried REPLServer, and it works really well!
>>
>> It has a dependency on TcpService, so I had to install KomServices and
>> DynamicBindings. Is there a tutorial somewhere about writing Metacello
>> configurations?

Re: A remote workspace

Mariano Martinez Peck

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> yes
>
> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/metacello-tutorial-updated/
>

>> I tried REPLServer, and it works really well!
>>
>> It has a dependency on TcpService, so I had to install KomServices and
>> DynamicBindings. Is there a tutorial somewhere about writing Metacello
>> configurations?

Re: A remote workspace

cool cool cool
Geoffroy two things
        if you have access rights to the squeaksource project it would be nice to publish it there
        then in addition it would be nice to publish it in the MetacelloRepository repository.

stef

On May 15, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Geoffroy Couprie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is a Metacello configuration for REPL:
> http://eleves.ec-lille.fr/~couprieg/divers/ConfigurationOfREPL-GeoffroyCouprie.3.mcz
>
> Is it OK?
>
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> yes
>>
>> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/metacello-tutorial-updated/
>>

>>> I tried REPLServer, and it works really well!
>>>
>>> It has a dependency on TcpService, so I had to install KomServices and
>>> DynamicBindings. Is there a tutorial somewhere about writing Metacello
>>> configurations?

Re: A remote workspace

Geoffroy Couprie
It's in the Metacello repository now!

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> cool cool cool
> Geoffroy two things
>        if you have access rights to the squeaksource project it would be nice to publish it there
>        then in addition it would be nice to publish it in the MetacelloRepository repository.
>
> stef
>

> On May 15, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Geoffroy Couprie wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here is a Metacello configuration for REPL:
>> http://eleves.ec-lille.fr/~couprieg/divers/ConfigurationOfREPL-GeoffroyCouprie.3.mcz
>>
>> Is it OK?
>>
>> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> yes
>>>
>>> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/metacello-tutorial-updated/

Re: A remote workspace

laurent laffont
Cool. Can someone write about the various way to access Pharo remotely with pro/cons in the Pharo collaborator book ?

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> cool cool cool
> Geoffroy two things
>        if you have access rights to the squeaksource project it would be nice to publish it there
>        then in addition it would be nice to publish it in the MetacelloRepository repository.
>
> stef
>

> On May 15, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Geoffroy Couprie wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here is a Metacello configuration for REPL:
>> http://eleves.ec-lille.fr/~couprieg/divers/ConfigurationOfREPL-GeoffroyCouprie.3.mcz
>>
>> Is it OK?
>>
>> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> yes
>>>
>>> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/metacello-tutorial-updated/

Re: A remote workspace