A request or suggestion.

FDominicus
I'm still not realyl understanding  the pharo Morph stuff. So I just
want to ask. Would it be possible/feasable to group windows. E.g I'd
have a group of Workspaces a group of Browsers etc.

Currently if the windows just pop open it's hard to find a workspace one
may be interested. If there would be a group this should be much easier.

Regards
Friedrich

Re: A request or suggestion.

Stéphane Ducasse
Check the settings because you can say to the window manager that it should stagger or position them in another way.
Else have a look at TWM
Stef

> I'm still not realyl understanding  the pharo Morph stuff. So I just
> want to ask. Would it be possible/feasable to group windows. E.g I'd
> have a group of Workspaces a group of Browsers etc.
>
> Currently if the windows just pop open it's hard to find a workspace one
> may be interested. If there would be a group this should be much easier.
>
> Regards
> Friedrich

Re: A request or suggestion.

FDominicus
Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> writes:

> Check the settings because you can say to the window manager that it should stagger or position them in another way.
> Else have a look at TWM
> Stef
I tried to change the window positioning but that was not what I wanted
to have I want in the low applicaton bar a group of Workspaces a group
of Browsers etc.

So what option are you referring to?

Regards
Friedrich

--
Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Re: A request or suggestion.

Patrick Barroca
Hello,

TWM stands for Tiling Windows Manager, check screencasts at the author's blog to see it in action:
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/.

I think it could cover you needs pretty well ;)

Patrick Barroca

Re: A request or suggestion.

Gary Chambers-4
I think I know what Friedrich means, groups of items under a single taskbar entry (with popup shortlist).
Unfortunately there is no formal mechanism for identifying individual windows as belonging to a a group.

Any window can have whatever title/label it wants, models are not either present or identical for the same "type" of window etc.

Could introduce a "taskbar type" perhaps, maybe TWm does something similar for grouping.

Regards, Gary

Patrick Barroca

Re: A request or suggestion.

Patrick Barroca
Yep TWM detect some types of windows, browsers, workspaces, monticello and propose a menu to list them and tile only this type.
By the way, this could be cool to enable arbitrary window group in TWM ;)

Patrick Barroca

Re: A request or suggestion.

laurent laffont
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I know what Friedrich means, groups of items under a single taskbar entry (with popup shortlist).
Unfortunately there is no formal mechanism for identifying individual windows as belonging to a a group.

Any window can have whatever title/label it wants, models are not either present or identical for the same "type" of window etc.

Could introduce a "taskbar type" perhaps, maybe TWm does something similar for grouping.

Actually in TWM windows groups are defined in TilingWM, windows protocol, based on SystemWindow model class. For example:

TilingWM>>browsers
^ self windowsOfModels: #(Browser OBSystemBrowser OBCodeBrowser NautilusUI NautilusUI2 MessageListBrowser FinderUI).

TilingWM>>monticellos
^ self windowsOfModels:  #(MCTool MCPackageManager).

We can enable "custom" groups, should be quite easy (using a pragma and / or system settings), I don't know if it's useful.

Laurent.

Regards, Gary