A simple question: PoolDictionary

marten
This is such a simple question, that I'm pretty nervous to ask them.

HOW do I define a PoolDictionary in Gemstone ? I created a subclass of SharedPool, but whenever I want to add this name to another class definition I get a debugger .....

Re: A simple question: PoolDictionary

Dale Henrichs
Marten,

You are asking good questions, so don't be nervous:)

You've run across a piece of cruft that dates back to the earliest days of GLASS.

GemStone does not support SharedPools in the base system. GemStone expects the poolDictionary list in the class definition to contain instances of symbolDictionary.

I hacked in support for the ZipFileConstants SharedPool and haven't come back around to clean it up. I've submitted Issue 314[1] to address the problem.

If you use the following expression, you can create your class:

 Object subclass: 'Testing'
        instVarNames: #()
        classVars: #()
        classInstVars: #()
        poolDictionaries:  (Class poolDictionariesForNames: #('TestingPool'))
        inDictionary: ''
        category: 'AAA'

The class definition is listed incorrectly in the browser so you'll need to keep the #poolDictionariesForNames: expression handy until I fix the bug ...

The mcz files are created and loaded correctly, which is a small comfort, I suppose.

Thanks for your bravery in reporting the issue:)

Dale

[1] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=314