A strange iceberg/Monticello loading issue that has appeared in 7.0.2?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A strange iceberg/Monticello loading issue that has appeared in 7.0.2?

Tim Mackinnon
I’m really struggling a bit with new images in 7.0.2. Now it may be that it’s not .2’s fault - but as I’ve been doing lots of repeatable things in Pharo 6 and 7a and 7.0.1, you notice when things change.

I’d really appreciate some thoughts on an iceberg/Monticello issue i suddenly hit last night.

I merged a large PR in my project and then tested it in a new zero conf 7.0.2 image and directory from master (via that github pr) with the following command line (which I’ve always used):

./pharo-ui Pharo.image eval "
Metacello new
 baseline: 'Exercism';
 repository: 'github://exercism/pharo-smalltalk:master';
 load.

The first time it seemed to work, but I found some bugs, and so I fixed them and merged 2 more tiny pr’s. When I delete everything (rm -rf), and load it again,  it doesn't load everything? Those commits are missing. When  look in my image my fixes aren't there in the code (but they show do in github master) - and when I open up an iceberg window in that fresh image it shows 4 incoming pull requests? Why didn’t it load everything?

It never used to do this from a clean image using Metacello?

Can anyone think of what might cause this? I’m really confused.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A strange iceberg/Monticello loading issue that has appeared in 7.0.2?

Tim Mackinnon
Mulling this over - I have a few more experiments to try
1 - try loading from the playground and not the cmd line
2 - dig out a previous 7.0.1 zero conf image (that previously worked with an older master branch), clean out iceberg-local and see if it’s something in the new master that causes this

If anyone can think of an obvious thing I’m missing, I would appreciate the input

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 16 Mar 2019, at 09:20, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m really struggling a bit with new images in 7.0.2. Now it may be that it’s not .2’s fault - but as I’ve been doing lots of repeatable things in Pharo 6 and 7a and 7.0.1, you notice when things change.
>
> I’d really appreciate some thoughts on an iceberg/Monticello issue i suddenly hit last night.
>
> I merged a large PR in my project and then tested it in a new zero conf 7.0.2 image and directory from master (via that github pr) with the following command line (which I’ve always used):
>
> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image eval "
> Metacello new
> baseline: 'Exercism';
> repository: 'github://exercism/pharo-smalltalk:master';
> load.
>
> The first time it seemed to work, but I found some bugs, and so I fixed them and merged 2 more tiny pr’s. When I delete everything (rm -rf), and load it again,  it doesn't load everything? Those commits are missing. When  look in my image my fixes aren't there in the code (but they show do in github master) - and when I open up an iceberg window in that fresh image it shows 4 incoming pull requests? Why didn’t it load everything?
>
> It never used to do this from a clean image using Metacello?
>
> Can anyone think of what might cause this? I’m really confused.
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A strange iceberg/Monticello loading issue that has appeared

Tim Mackinnon
OK - I can rule out 7.0.2 for the iceberg loading, as doing it in a 7.0.1 image has the same issue - it doesn’t load the full repo that is showing in GitHub - and leaves me needing to do an extra pull? I don’t understand why I need the extra pull step?

I think there is something obvious that is eluding me, but I just don’t understand what?

Any git/iceberg gurus that could advise?

Tim

> On 16 Mar 2019, at 11:52, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mulling this over - I have a few more experiments to try
> 1 - try loading from the playground and not the cmd line
> 2 - dig out a previous 7.0.1 zero conf image (that previously worked with an older master branch), clean out iceberg-local and see if it’s something in the new master that causes this
>
> If anyone can think of an obvious thing I’m missing, I would appreciate the input
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 16 Mar 2019, at 09:20, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’m really struggling a bit with new images in 7.0.2. Now it may be that it’s not .2’s fault - but as I’ve been doing lots of repeatable things in Pharo 6 and 7a and 7.0.1, you notice when things change.
>>
>> I’d really appreciate some thoughts on an iceberg/Monticello issue i suddenly hit last night.
>>
>> I merged a large PR in my project and then tested it in a new zero conf 7.0.2 image and directory from master (via that github pr) with the following command line (which I’ve always used):
>>
>> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image eval "
>> Metacello new
>> baseline: 'Exercism';
>> repository: 'github://exercism/pharo-smalltalk:master';
>> load.
>>
>> The first time it seemed to work, but I found some bugs, and so I fixed them and merged 2 more tiny pr’s. When I delete everything (rm -rf), and load it again,  it doesn't load everything? Those commits are missing. When  look in my image my fixes aren't there in the code (but they show do in github master) - and when I open up an iceberg window in that fresh image it shows 4 incoming pull requests? Why didn’t it load everything?
>>
>> It never used to do this from a clean image using Metacello?
>>
>> Can anyone think of what might cause this? I’m really confused.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon
Tim Mackinnon wrote
> Can anyone think of what might cause this? I’m really confused.

Am I understanding correctly that your load script is loading the correct
packages, but not the latest versions?

If so, just a few initial thoughts:
- What does the local clone look like after the load (i.e. does it show the
missing commit(s)?
- It is possible that shared repo location is enabled?

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Sean - thanks for chipping in:

Yes - the correct packages are loading, the baseline is fine (and its a baseline I’ve been using without issues for a while) - its simply just not loading the same source as if I do a clone by hand via git in a separate directory?

It’s like iceberg just doesn’t want to load the lates stuff and wants me to do a manual “pull” in the image to catch up?

Thinking that maybe my master branch was weird - I did a hard reset in a separate copy, and update the readme.md and committed that, and pushed it.

Now when I go back to my pharo zero, conf - and clear out the iceberg directory, and run my command line/or playground script again - it now loads and says I need to pull 5 new commits (prior to this, it said 4 commits).

The is what I’m not understanding - why isn’t it just pulling in all of those commits in a fresh load? I’ve never seen this before, and am at a loss why this is suddenly happening?

If I open the settings, and check software config management - the share repo’s setting is unchecked. However - the weird thing is that I don’t see anything in the pharo-local/iceberg directory (making me think that something must have got flipped - but I’ve not knowingly done anything in the few hours between when it last worked and suddenly stopped).

Grrrr… just as I was starting to get the hang of things, its all fallen apart again.

Tim

> On 16 Mar 2019, at 17:34, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim Mackinnon wrote
>> Can anyone think of what might cause this? I’m really confused.
>
> Am I understanding correctly that your load script is loading the correct
> packages, but not the latest versions?
>
> If so, just a few initial thoughts:
> - What does the local clone look like after the load (i.e. does it show the
> missing commit(s)?
> - It is possible that shared repo location is enabled?
>
>
>
> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Hmmm - hang on a second, something very weird is going on - looking at how to track where files get written on OSX and using:
touch ~/timestamp
find -x / -newer ~/timestamp >~/changedfiles.txt

The result is that when I do my zero conf install - my files now seem to be going to the 7.0.2 install that I did on Thursday, and not to the local directory where I am running. I think Is it possible that this new release has change something.

- WTF? How can this happen?

/Users/macta/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo/Pharo 7.0 - 64bit (7.0.2)/pharo-local/iceberg/exercism/pharo-smalltalk/.git
/Users/macta/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo/Pharo 7.0 - 64bit (7.0.2)/pharo-local/iceberg/exercism/pharo-smalltalk/.git/refs/heads
/Users/macta/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo/Pharo 7.0 - 64bit (7.0.2)/pharo-local/iceberg/exercism/pharo-smalltalk/.git/index
/Users/macta/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo/Pharo 7.0 - 64bit (7.0.2)/pharo-local/iceberg/exercism/pharo-smalltalk/.git/FETCH_HEAD
/Users/macta/Dev/Exercism/pharo7e3
/Users/macta/Dev/Exercism/pharo7e3/Pharo.changes
/Users/macta/Dev/Exercism/pharo7e3/pharo-local
/Users/macta/Dev/Exercism/pharo7e3/pharo-local/iceberg
/Users/macta/Dev/Exercism/pharo7e3/pharo-local/iceberg/credentials.fuel
/Users/macta/Dev/Exercism/pharo7e3/pharo-local/ombu-sessions
/Users/macta/Dev/Exercism/pharo7e3/pharo-local/ombu-sessions/Pharo7.0.2-0-32bit-890f474.c1wfkijoa7470az0raz1zczo0.ombu
/Users/macta/Dev/Exercism/pharo7e3/icon-packs
/Users/macta/Dev/Exercism/pharo7e3/icon-packs/idea11.zip

Tim

On 16 Mar 2019, at 21:50, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes - the correct packages are loading, the baseline is fine (and its a baseline I’ve been using without issues for a while) - its simply just not loading the same source as if I do a clone by hand via git in a separate directory?

It’s like iceberg just doesn’t want to load the lates stuff and wants me to do a manual “pull” in the image to catch up?

Thinking that maybe my master branch was weird - I did a hard reset in a separate copy, and update the readme.md and committed that, and pushed it.

Now when I go back to my pharo zero, conf - and clear out the iceberg directory, and run my command line/or playground script again - it now loads and says I need to pull 5 new commits (prior to this, it said 4 commits).

The is what I’m not understanding - why isn’t it just pulling in all of those commits in a fresh load? I’ve never seen this before, and am at a loss why this is suddenly happening?

If I open the settings, and check software config management - the share repo’s setting is unchecked. However - the weird thing is that I don’t see anything in the pharo-local/iceberg directory (making me think that something must have got flipped - but I’ve not knowingly done anything in the few hours between when it last worked and suddenly stopped).

Grrrr… just as I was starting to get the hang of things, its all fallen apart again.

Tim

On 16 Mar 2019, at 17:34, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tim Mackinnon wrote

missing commit(s)?

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
ARRRGGGGGG - its the damn settings file! I recall now, I changed some of the code formatter settings in the 7.0.2, and was using the blue-ink preview in settings, and must have pressed save.

Even thought, it was only formatter settings that I changed - the damn file causes iceberg to break (even though there is not reference to using a shared repo, and loading the settings in any of my images doesn’t show this). What a hideous bug…. I will report it, or try and raise its priority if its not reported as this is confusing as hell.

Tim

On 16 Mar 2019, at 22:08, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hmmm - hang on a second, something very weird is going on - looking at how to track where files get written on OSX and using:
touch ~/timestamp

The result is that when I do my zero conf install - my files now seem to be going to the 7.0.2 install that I did on Thursday, and not to the local directory where I am running. I think Is it possible that this new release has change something.

/Users/macta/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo/Pharo 7.0 - 64bit (7.0.2)/pharo-local/iceberg/exercism/pharo-smalltalk/.git
/Users/macta/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo/Pharo 7.0 - 64bit (7.0.2)/pharo-local/iceberg/exercism/pharo-smalltalk/.git/refs/heads
/Users/macta/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo/Pharo 7.0 - 64bit (7.0.2)/pharo-local/iceberg/exercism/pharo-smalltalk/.git/index
/Users/macta/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo/Pharo 7.0 - 64bit (7.0.2)/pharo-local/iceberg/exercism/pharo-smalltalk/.git/FETCH_HEAD
/Users/macta/Dev/Exercism/pharo7e3/pharo-local/ombu-sessions/Pharo7.0.2-0-32bit-890f474.c1wfkijoa7470az0raz1zczo0.ombu

Tim

Tim

Tim Mackinnon wrote

missing commit(s)?

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon
Reported as https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2854 (although there was a similar issue already from P6, but I don’t think it made it clear enough the seriousness of this problem).

On 16 Mar 2019, at 22:08, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

touch ~/timestamp

Tim

Tim

Tim Mackinnon wrote

missing commit(s)?

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--