A suggestion ...

Dennis smith-4
Now -- there are critical things - and this is not on of them, just took
me a bit of time
to figure it out and patched it ...

If you do right-click doit on VW and you are logged into Gemstone, it
turns on
forwarder and stub tracing.  We do lots of little scripts and this slows
them down
considerably.

How about a new "doit" on right-click
     trace it
???

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948

Re: A suggestion ...

Martin McClure
Dennis Smith wrote:

> Now -- there are critical things - and this is not on of them, just took
> me a bit of time
> to figure it out and patched it ...
>
> If you do right-click doit on VW and you are logged into Gemstone, it
> turns on
> forwarder and stub tracing.  We do lots of little scripts and this slows
> them down
> considerably.
>
> How about a new "doit" on right-click
>     trace it
> ???

Hi Dennis,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand. It's true that we do turn on
forwarderDebugging and stubDebugging during GUI doits, and turn them off
afterwards. I'm not sure we *need* to do that, but don't see how that
would slow your scripts down.

I tried running a simple doit (3 + 4) in a workspace 10,000 times both
with and without our debugging code. There wasn't much difference, in
fact the run with our debugging code ran almost 10% faster (but that
could be within the measurement error).

Regards,

-Martin

Re: A suggestion ...

Dennis smith-4
Maybe its just the "feel" of so much being dumped to the transcript, but
if sure "feels" slower.
It also masks other things that WE put to the transcript.  Just seems a
bit arbitrary .. but does not
bother me much, I don't mind adding overrides for things like that !

Dennis Smith wrote:
> Maybe its just the "feel" of so much being dumped to the transcript, but
> if sure "feels" slower.
> It also masks other things that WE put to the transcript.

Thanks, I see your problem now. Yes, the debugging does log forwarder
and stub operations to the transcript, and I can see how that would slow
things down if you do a lot of it.

I'll file a bug on that, it shouldn't be necessary to turn on debugging
during all doits. Turning on debugging does avoid another fairly tricky
problem, but we should be able to find another way around that.

> Just seems a
> bit arbitrary .. but does not
> bother me much, I don't mind adding overrides for things like that !

Okay, as long as you're careful to check each override for applicability
with each new GBS version. :-)

Regards,

-Martin

Re: A suggestion ...

Dennis smith-4
On 03/03/2010 9:53 PM, Martin McClure wrote:

> Dennis Smith wrote:
>> Maybe its just the "feel" of so much being dumped to the transcript,
>> but if sure "feels" slower.
>> It also masks other things that WE put to the transcript.
>
> Thanks, I see your problem now. Yes, the debugging does log forwarder
> and stub operations to the transcript, and I can see how that would
> slow things down if you do a lot of it.
>
> I'll file a bug on that, it shouldn't be necessary to turn on
> debugging during all doits. Turning on debugging does avoid another
> fairly tricky problem, but we should be able to find another way
> around that.
That sounds intriguing -- what kind of problem could 'debugging' deal
with??  should I be concerned??

>> Just seems a bit arbitrary .. but does not
>> bother me much, I don't mind adding overrides for things like that !
>
> Okay, as long as you're careful to check each override for
> applicability with each new GBS version. :-)
You probably wouldn't like the number of mods we have, and yes we go
through each one on every new release :)

Dennis Smith wrote:

> On 03/03/2010 9:53 PM, Martin McClure wrote:
>> Dennis Smith wrote:
>>> Maybe its just the "feel" of so much being dumped to the transcript,
>>> but if sure "feels" slower.
>>> It also masks other things that WE put to the transcript.
>>
>> Thanks, I see your problem now. Yes, the debugging does log forwarder
>> and stub operations to the transcript, and I can see how that would
>> slow things down if you do a lot of it.
>>
>> I'll file a bug on that, it shouldn't be necessary to turn on
>> debugging during all doits. Turning on debugging does avoid another
>> fairly tricky problem, but we should be able to find another way
>> around that.
> That sounds intriguing -- what kind of problem could 'debugging' deal
> with??  should I be concerned??

It's tricky (for us), but not serious, so you probably need not be
concerned. The bug that you have probably reintroduced with your
override is that if you have an inspector on a stub or forwarder, and
you do a doIt in that inspector that contains "self", "self" will refer
to the delegate, not the stub or forwarder.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: A suggestion ...

Dennis smith-4
OK -- I get that all the time, and I don't really care -- I do my do-its
carefully when working with Gemstone -- but I see
your issue -- I am happy to keep this as one of my "overrides"