A thought about the fear of not knowing

1 message Options

A thought about the fear of not knowing

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi Pharoers, lurkers, users

We repeat all over the same: we welcome you to participate and while we are cool and welcoming, you feel
"oh I cannot, I do not know, this is complex..."
You look at us like Gurus, but let us be clear, we are not, we are just common people that have a debugger,
kids in the bed and good music in the background (for me Cool Jazz or Thrash Metal).
Of course some parts of the system are ugly, buggy, britlle, messy... but
less and less, more and more good abstractions are taking life
AND!!!!
        First, we are all learners and newbie on something (at least the mortal among us) but to learn
                we should start somewhere
        Second, start small
                - we tag some bug entries as easy, give a try.
                - put a break point in the code
                - write a test
                - do something fun

        You will not fail, why? because either you do not find anything and there is no problem but you will
        learn something and you can pass to the next one.
        Or you find something and you got it :)

We did that with marcus when we were squeak harvesters. There were a lot of things we could not get
but we pass to the next. :)

Now I browse bugs bugs and bugs and I can tell you that 85% of the bugs are terribly stupid. Even more.
So focus on these ones :)

Pharo is the system we (you and us) will build.