A three button mouse is useful // halos

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

Juan just reminded me today to use the halos to analyze how a Morphic
GUI is constructed.
So far I had not used halos while working with version 4.1 of Cuis.
But in fact it is a real necessity to be able to see how a GUI works.

I needed a three button mouse with MSWindows to get the halos of the morphs.

I elaborated on  this a bit with some screen shots on

    https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis/blob/master/notes/HowToAnalyseAMorphicGUI.md

Unfortunately the screen shots are not displayed inline in the
markdown file display on github as I had hoped.

Regards

Hannes

Re: A three button mouse is useful // halos

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Germán

On 1/17/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I usually use Mac (or Linux) but today had a chance of use Cuis in a
> Windows 7 laptop.....with the included touchpad  and I couldn't find a way
> of get the halos (In Mac with cmd + Button 1 they appear).
>
> How can get the halos in Windows if I don't want to buy a 3 buttons mouse?

This is what I asked some time ago (unfortunately I did not store the
conversation) and the archive of this mailing list starts with May
2012
http://jvuletich.org/pipermail/cuis_jvuletich.org/

In the end it turned out that the easiest was to buy a mouse which has
three buttons.

In fact it is a regular mouse with left and right button and wheel in
the middle which servers in addition as the third button. It was
7.5USD, a worthwhile investment to unlock the full power of the Cuis
IDE. The ability to take apart the GUI and see how it is made while it
is still working is very valuable to work with MorphicGUIs.

Greetings
--Hannes

Re: A three button mouse is useful // halos

garduino
ok, thanks Hannes, I will try to avoid Windows, hehe, as I did almost always :)

Just noticed also that in Windows I have also the bad formatting with
the cr/lf as if they were not converted.

2013/1/18 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Germán
>
> On 1/17/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I usually use Mac (or Linux) but today had a chance of use Cuis in a
>> Windows 7 laptop.....with the included touchpad  and I couldn't find a way
>> of get the halos (In Mac with cmd + Button 1 they appear).
>>
>> How can get the halos in Windows if I don't want to buy a 3 buttons mouse?
>>

> This is what I asked some time ago (unfortunately I did not store the
> conversation) and the archive of this mailing list starts with May
> 2012
> http://jvuletich.org/pipermail/cuis_jvuletich.org/
>
> In the end it turned out that the easiest was to buy a mouse which has
> three buttons.
>
> In fact it is a regular mouse with left and right button and wheel in
> the middle which servers in addition as the third button. It was
> 7.5USD, a worthwhile investment to unlock the full power of the Cuis
> IDE. The ability to take apart the GUI and see how it is made while it
> is still working is very valuable to work with MorphicGUIs.
>
> Greetings
> --Hannes

Re: A three button mouse is useful // halos

Juan Vuletich-4
Germán Arduino wrote:
> ok, thanks Hannes, I will try to avoid Windows, hehe, as I did almost always :)
>
> Just noticed also that in Windows I have also the bad formatting with
> the cr/lf as if they were not converted.

I use Cuis on Mac and Windows all the time. I never had any issue with
cr/lf. Maybe you're editing files in notepad.exe? Or transferring them
with a "smart" tool that thinks it must do conversions? In any case,
prepare a list of steps to reproduce the problems you see, and I'll take
a look (as usual).

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> 2013/1/18 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello Germán
>>
>> On 1/17/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I usually use Mac (or Linux) but today had a chance of use Cuis in a
>>> Windows 7 laptop.....with the included touchpad  and I couldn't find a way
>>> of get the halos (In Mac with cmd + Button 1 they appear).
>>>
>>> How can get the halos in Windows if I don't want to buy a 3 buttons mouse?
>>>

>> This is what I asked some time ago (unfortunately I did not store the
>> conversation) and the archive of this mailing list starts with May
>> 2012
>> http://jvuletich.org/pipermail/cuis_jvuletich.org/
>>
>> In the end it turned out that the easiest was to buy a mouse which has
>> three buttons.
>>
>> In fact it is a regular mouse with left and right button and wheel in
>> the middle which servers in addition as the third button. It was
>> 7.5USD, a worthwhile investment to unlock the full power of the Cuis
>> IDE. The ability to take apart the GUI and see how it is made while it
>> is still working is very valuable to work with MorphicGUIs.
>>
>> Greetings
>> --Hannes

Re: A three button mouse is useful // halos

garduino
Thanks Juan.

I'm reading (with time) the detailed explanations of Angel in other
thread and trying to reproduce the problem.

If I can do it, I will send the required data to make some tests.

Regards.