A tribute to stability

Stefan Schmiedl
I like living dangerous: D6 is running under XP at the office, under
Win2k on my laptop on the road. Naturally I copy saved images between
the two machines. Sometimes I've noticed "some windows error message"
after opening such an image. Now I actually took a look at what's
happening:

If you save a populated IdeaSpace on XP, it naturally saves its
TabViewXP with it. Now save, copy and open the image on Win2k ... no
TabViewXP there, hence the error:

10:06:55, Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2006: Unhandled exception - a
GPFault('Invalid access to memory location. Reading 0x80128, IP
0x71756AA0 (D:\WINNT\system32\COMCTL32.dll)')

ProcessorScheduler>>gpFault:
[] in ProcessorScheduler>>vmi:list:no:with:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>vmi:list:no:with:
UserLibrary(ExternalLibrary)>>invalidCall
UserLibrary>>callWindowProc:hWnd:msg:wParam:lParam:
TabViewXP(ControlView)>>defaultWindowProcessing:wParam:lParam:
TabViewXP(View)>>dispatchMessage:wParam:lParam:
[] in InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>callback:evaluate:
InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
TabViewXP(View)>>sendMessage:wParam:lpParam:
TabViewXP(TabView)>>tcmAdjustRect:for:
TabViewXP(TabView)>>calcRectangleFromClientRectangle:
TabViewXP(View)>>calcExtentFromClientExtent:
SlideyInneyOuteyThing>>calculateExtent:
SlideyInneyOuteyThing>>actualPreferredExtent:
SlideyInneyOuteyThing(View)>>layoutExtent:
[] in ProportionalLayout>>layoutContainer:context:

The most interesting part is that D6 survives this neatly every time.
Is that great or what?

s.

Re: A tribute to stability

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stefan,

> I like living dangerous: D6 is running under XP at the office, under
> Win2k on my laptop on the road. Naturally I copy saved images between
> the two machines. Sometimes I've noticed "some windows error message"
> after opening such an image. Now I actually took a look at what's
> happening:
>
> If you save a populated IdeaSpace on XP, it naturally saves its
> TabViewXP with it. Now save, copy and open the image on Win2k ... no
> TabViewXP there, hence the error:

[snip]

> The most interesting part is that D6 survives this neatly every time.
> Is that great or what?

What is further down the stack?  I ask because the error might be
breaking you out of a loop, which could "randomly" leave some work
undone.  Errors on startup, presenter loading, etc., make me very nervous.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: A tribute to stability

Stefan Schmiedl
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:27:09 +0000, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Stefan,
>
>> The most interesting part is that D6 survives this neatly every time. Is
>> that great or what?
>
> What is further down the stack?  I ask because the error might be breaking
> you out of a loop, which could "randomly" leave some work undone.  Errors
> on startup, presenter loading, etc., make me very nervous.

It looks like the image wants to redraw the XP-style Tabs with the
references it remembers from the XP system. I can't remember seeing
the message when no tabbed window was open during transfer.

And I'm not crazy, as everything that's relevant to the current
project is saved in external files and into STS. That's why I
asked for a "extended" do-it some weeks ago. Restoring my current
dev image for the working project is a matter of extracting the
"virgin" archive to the correct directory and installing three
packages (which I really should pack into a script...)

s.