A way to call external programs

garduino
Hi:

I just wonder how to call external programas, for example in shareware world is very common to have in a desktop program options to go to the website of the product, for example to check the FAQ page, to put a "Like" in the Facebook page, etc.

In Dolphin exist a Shell library that is easy to use, some sort of:

ShellLibrary default

but in a multiplatform tool as Cuis the things are a bit more complicated.

Exist some package already? We should think in OSProcess and CommandShell ports?

--
Sincerely,
Germán Arduino

bpi

Re: A way to call external programs

bpi
Hi Germán,

IIRC, StyledTextEditor includes such a feature in the package CrappyOSProcess.pck:
https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/CrappyOSProcess.pck

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 12.01.2013 um 13:57 schrieb Germán Arduino:

> Hi:
>
> I just wonder how to call external programas, for example in shareware world is very common to have in a desktop program options to go to the website of the product, for example to check the FAQ page, to put a "Like" in the Facebook page, etc.
>
> In Dolphin exist a Shell library that is easy to use, some sort of:
>
> ShellLibrary default
> shellOpen: 'www.passwordspro.com/buy.html'.
>
> but in a multiplatform tool as Cuis the things are a bit more complicated.
>
> Exist some package already? We should think in OSProcess and CommandShell ports?
>

> --
> Sincerely,
> Germán Arduino
> about.me/garduino

Re: A way to call external programs

garduino
Thanks Bernhard, I will check!

2013/1/13 Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
Hi Germán,

IIRC, StyledTextEditor includes such a feature in the package CrappyOSProcess.pck:
https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/CrappyOSProcess.pck

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 12.01.2013 um 13:57 schrieb Germán Arduino:

> Hi:
>
> I just wonder how to call external programas, for example in shareware world is very common to have in a desktop program options to go to the website of the product, for example to check the FAQ page, to put a "Like" in the Facebook page, etc.
>
> In Dolphin exist a Shell library that is easy to use, some sort of:
>
> ShellLibrary default
>               shellOpen: 'www.passwordspro.com/buy.html'.
>
> but in a multiplatform tool as Cuis the things are a bit more complicated.
>
> Exist some package already? We should think in OSProcess and CommandShell ports?
>

> --
> Sincerely,
> Germán Arduino
> about.me/garduino

Re: A way to call external programs

Hannes Hirzel
On 1/13/13, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Germán,
>
> IIRC, StyledTextEditor includes such a feature in the package
> CrappyOSProcess.pck:
> https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/CrappyOSProcess.pck
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard

Hello Bernard,

I was not aware of this initial porting effort to call external
programs. I did a pull request asking about the status of the
*OSProcess.pck... :-)

    https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/pull/9

Could we move it to a separate repository so that we can work on it
independently of StyledTextEditor?

Kind regards
Hannes

> Am 12.01.2013 um 13:57 schrieb Germán Arduino:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I just wonder how to call external programas, for example in shareware
>> world is very common to have in a desktop program options to go to the
>> website of the product, for example to check the FAQ page, to put a "Like"
>> in the Facebook page, etc.
>>
>> In Dolphin exist a Shell library that is easy to use, some sort of:
>>
>> ShellLibrary default
>> shellOpen: 'www.passwordspro.com/buy.html'.
>>
>> but in a multiplatform tool as Cuis the things are a bit more
>> complicated.
>>
>> Exist some package already? We should think in OSProcess and CommandShell
>> ports?
>>

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Germán Arduino
>> about.me/garduino

Re: A way to call external programs

Hannes Hirzel
And I see that there is as well FFI

https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck

Where did the code come from?
What is the status?

--Hannes

On 1/14/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/13/13, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Germán,
>>
>> IIRC, StyledTextEditor includes such a feature in the package
>> CrappyOSProcess.pck:
>> https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/CrappyOSProcess.pck
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bernhard
>
> Hello Bernard,
>
> I was not aware of this initial porting effort to call external
> programs. I did a pull request asking about the status of the
> *OSProcess.pck... :-)
>
>     https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/pull/9
>
> Could we move it to a separate repository so that we can work on it
> independently of StyledTextEditor?
>
> Kind regards
> Hannes
>

>> Am 12.01.2013 um 13:57 schrieb Germán Arduino:
>>
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I just wonder how to call external programas, for example in shareware
>>> world is very common to have in a desktop program options to go to the
>>> website of the product, for example to check the FAQ page, to put a
>>> "Like"
>>> in the Facebook page, etc.
>>>
>>> In Dolphin exist a Shell library that is easy to use, some sort of:
>>>
>>> ShellLibrary default
>>> shellOpen: 'www.passwordspro.com/buy.html'.
>>>
>>> but in a multiplatform tool as Cuis the things are a bit more
>>> complicated.
>>>
>>> Exist some package already? We should think in OSProcess and
>>> CommandShell
>>> ports?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Germán Arduino
>>> about.me/garduino

Re: A way to call external programs

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

I don't think you need to do a pull request for that. Just opening an
issue is fine. BTW, asking via email could be enough too.

I called it Crappy because it was born as a sort of a hack. It is a very
reduced version of OSProcess. All the included functionality works ok.
Tested on Mac and Linux. You can just try it.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

H. Hirzel wrote:
> And I see that there is as well FFI
>
> https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
>
> Where did the code come from?
> What is the status?
>
> --Hannes

It came from Squeak's FFI package. The status is usable. I used it only
on Windows, but there should not be (big) problems to use it on other
platforms.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich