A window to see all the time the code

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

now that we have announcements it should be easy to have a code spy:
a window that when I browse any things in moose (being it a mondrian node, or
a whatever stuff announcement event) I could see in the spy window the code
of the entity.
This way I could move hyperfast my mouse on a nice mondrian view and get immediately
fats code overview wihtout having to click, spawn or wahtever action.

Do you like the idea?
Because I always got frustrtaed with visualaition because I could not get that behavior
in addition to the visualization.

Re: A window to see all the time the code

abergel
Yes, I like the idea. Connecting visualizations with source code is often seen as difficult.
Currently, in Mondrian, you cannot find a particular node, I mean that the scrollbar indexes are adjusted to show a particular elements. I will work on this soon. This is crucial.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 7 Apr 2011, at 15:52, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> now that we have announcements it should be easy to have a code spy:
> a window that when I browse any things in moose (being it a mondrian node, or
> a whatever stuff announcement event) I could see in the spy window the code
> of the entity.
> This way I could move hyperfast my mouse on a nice mondrian view and get immediately
> fats code overview wihtout having to click, spawn or wahtever action.
>
> Do you like the idea?
> Because I always got frustrtaed with visualaition because I could not get that behavior
> in addition to the visualization.
>
> Stef

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: A window to see all the time the code

simondenier

I tried to make this easier with Moose Chef. When you see a dependency between classes, it's actually a dependency between methods and you have to retrieve the 'source' methods of this dependency to see the source code. I just need more people to test this API in practice.

On 7 avr. 2011, at 23:43, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Yes, I like the idea. Connecting visualizations with source code is often seen as difficult.
> Currently, in Mondrian, you cannot find a particular node, I mean that the scrollbar indexes are adjusted to show a particular elements. I will work on this soon. This is crucial.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 7 Apr 2011, at 15:52, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> now that we have announcements it should be easy to have a code spy:
>> a window that when I browse any things in moose (being it a mondrian node, or
>> a whatever stuff announcement event) I could see in the spy window the code
>> of the entity.
>> This way I could move hyperfast my mouse on a nice mondrian view and get immediately
>> fats code overview wihtout having to click, spawn or wahtever action.
>>
>> Do you like the idea?
>> Because I always got frustrtaed with visualaition because I could not get that behavior
>> in addition to the visualization.
>>
>> Stef

Simon Denier

Re: A window to see all the time the code

abergel
> I tried to make this easier with Moose Chef. When you see a dependency between classes, it's actually a dependency between methods and you have to retrieve the 'source' methods of this dependency to see the source code. I just need more people to test this API in practice.

I will have a deep look at Chef soon. I would like to assess the test coverage and increase it. We did this on Moose core. It was quite useful to understand it.

In the future, it is likely that a large part of my research will focus on testing, debugging, and profiling. So yes, I want to make our tools better.

Alexandre

> On 7 avr. 2011, at 23:43, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Yes, I like the idea. Connecting visualizations with source code is often seen as difficult.
>> Currently, in Mondrian, you cannot find a particular node, I mean that the scrollbar indexes are adjusted to show a particular elements. I will work on this soon. This is crucial.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 7 Apr 2011, at 15:52, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> now that we have announcements it should be easy to have a code spy:
>>> a window that when I browse any things in moose (being it a mondrian node, or
>>> a whatever stuff announcement event) I could see in the spy window the code
>>> of the entity.
>>> This way I could move hyperfast my mouse on a nice mondrian view and get immediately
>>> fats code overview wihtout having to click, spawn or wahtever action.
>>>
>>> Do you like the idea?
>>> Because I always got frustrtaed with visualaition because I could not get that behavior
>>> in addition to the visualization.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

> Simon Denier

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: A window to see all the time the code

Tudor Girba

This capability is on my wish list for a long time. In the context of Glamour I would like to have a mechanism like the Preview of Finder on Mac (when you press Space). Using this we would have the possibility to show a preview of whatever you want including source code.

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 Apr 2011, at 21:52, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> now that we have announcements it should be easy to have a code spy:
> a window that when I browse any things in moose (being it a mondrian node, or
> a whatever stuff announcement event) I could see in the spy window the code
> of the entity.
> This way I could move hyperfast my mouse on a nice mondrian view and get immediately
> fats code overview wihtout having to click, spawn or wahtever action.
>
> Do you like the idea?
> Because I always got frustrtaed with visualaition because I could not get that behavior
> in addition to the visualization.
>
> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

On Apr 7, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Yes, I like the idea. Connecting visualizations with source code is often seen as difficult.
> Currently, in Mondrian, you cannot find a particular node,

but when I pass the mouse on a node I could get a n announcement?

> I mean that the scrollbar indexes are adjusted to show a particular elements. I will work on this soon. This is crucial.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 7 Apr 2011, at 15:52, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> now that we have announcements it should be easy to have a code spy:
>> a window that when I browse any things in moose (being it a mondrian node, or
>> a whatever stuff announcement event) I could see in the spy window the code
>> of the entity.
>> This way I could move hyperfast my mouse on a nice mondrian view and get immediately
>> fats code overview wihtout having to click, spawn or wahtever action.
>>
>> Do you like the idea?
>> Because I always got frustrtaed with visualaition because I could not get that behavior
>> in addition to the visualization.
>>
>> Stef

Re: A window to see all the time the code

ok but could we have a simple one:
        just reaction to Enter event.

Stef

On Apr 8, 2011, at 1:02 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This capability is on my wish list for a long time. In the context of Glamour I would like to have a mechanism like the Preview of Finder on Mac (when you press Space). Using this we would have the possibility to show a preview of whatever you want including source code.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 7 Apr 2011, at 21:52, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> now that we have announcements it should be easy to have a code spy:
>> a window that when I browse any things in moose (being it a mondrian node, or
>> a whatever stuff announcement event) I could see in the spy window the code
>> of the entity.
>> This way I could move hyperfast my mouse on a nice mondrian view and get immediately
>> fats code overview wihtout having to click, spawn or wahtever action.
>>
>> Do you like the idea?
>> Because I always got frustrtaed with visualaition because I could not get that behavior
>> in addition to the visualization.
>>
>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: A window to see all the time the code

Tudor Girba
You do get it. You can use in a Mondrian script. For example:

view interaction popupText: [:each | each sourceText].
view nodes: classGroup.

However, the problem is that the implementation of the preview is hard to manage for a reading scenario because you only get a fly-by-help.

Doru

On 8 Apr 2011, at 09:10, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Yes, I like the idea. Connecting visualizations with source code is often seen as difficult.
>> Currently, in Mondrian, you cannot find a particular node,
>
> but when I pass the mouse on a node I could get a n announcement?
>
>> I mean that the scrollbar indexes are adjusted to show a particular elements. I will work on this soon. This is crucial.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 7 Apr 2011, at 15:52, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> now that we have announcements it should be easy to have a code spy:
>>> a window that when I browse any things in moose (being it a mondrian node, or
>>> a whatever stuff announcement event) I could see in the spy window the code
>>> of the entity.
>>> This way I could move hyperfast my mouse on a nice mondrian view and get immediately
>>> fats code overview wihtout having to click, spawn or wahtever action.
>>>
>>> Do you like the idea?
>>> Because I always got frustrtaed with visualaition because I could not get that behavior
>>> in addition to the visualization.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: A window to see all the time the code

Tudor Girba
You can have that. The question is how this will be rendered, because you do not want a new window every time you press Enter.

Cheers,
Doru

On 8 Apr 2011, at 09:11, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> ok but could we have a simple one:
> just reaction to Enter event.
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 8, 2011, at 1:02 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This capability is on my wish list for a long time. In the context of Glamour I would like to have a mechanism like the Preview of Finder on Mac (when you press Space). Using this we would have the possibility to show a preview of whatever you want including source code.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 7 Apr 2011, at 21:52, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> now that we have announcements it should be easy to have a code spy:
>>> a window that when I browse any things in moose (being it a mondrian node, or
>>> a whatever stuff announcement event) I could see in the spy window the code
>>> of the entity.
>>> This way I could move hyperfast my mouse on a nice mondrian view and get immediately
>>> fats code overview wihtout having to click, spawn or wahtever action.
>>>
>>> Do you like the idea?
>>> Because I always got frustrtaed with visualaition because I could not get that behavior
>>> in addition to the visualization.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: A window to see all the time the code

simondenier
So like Preview, press enter to open, press enter again to close?

Simon

On 8 avr. 2011, at 09:34, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can have that. The question is how this will be rendered, because you do not want a new window every time you press Enter.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 8 Apr 2011, at 09:11, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> ok but could we have a simple one:
>>    just reaction to Enter event.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Apr 8, 2011, at 1:02 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This capability is on my wish list for a long time. In the context of Glamour I would like to have a mechanism like the Preview of Finder on Mac (when you press Space). Using this we would have the possibility to show a preview of whatever you want including source code.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: A window to see all the time the code

Tudor Girba
Yes. But more important is that when you press other keys to scroll, the contents of the preview window gets changed.

Cheers,
Doru

On 8 Apr 2011, at 09:48, Simon Denier wrote:

> So like Preview, press enter to open, press enter again to close?
>
> Simon
>
> On 8 avr. 2011, at 09:34, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You can have that. The question is how this will be rendered, because you do not want a new window every time you press Enter.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 8 Apr 2011, at 09:11, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> ok but could we have a simple one:
>>>   just reaction to Enter event.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Don't give to get. Just give."

www.tudorgirba.com

"One cannot do more than one can do."

On Apr 8, 2011, at 9:34 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> You can have that. The question is how this will be rendered, because you do not want a new window every time you press Enter.

As I said I open the spy and I see contents in it.
When I close it I do not get a new window.

> Doru
>

> On 8 Apr 2011, at 09:11, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> ok but could we have a simple one:
>> just reaction to Enter event.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Apr 8, 2011, at 1:02 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This capability is on my wish list for a long time. In the context of Glamour I would like to have a mechanism like the Preview of Finder on Mac (when you press Space). Using this we would have the possibility to show a preview of whatever you want including source code.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: A window to see all the time the code

For me I want something simple.

I have one window on the side and I see text in there.
No press no opening, popup....

Stef

On Apr 8, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Simon Denier wrote:

> So like Preview, press enter to open, press enter again to close?
>
> Simon
>
> On 8 avr. 2011, at 09:34, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You can have that. The question is how this will be rendered, because you do not want a new window every time you press Enter.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 8 Apr 2011, at 09:11, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> ok but could we have a simple one:
>>>   just reaction to Enter event.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: A window to see all the time the code

Tudor Girba
Yes. This is what the Quick Look does :)

Doru

On 9 Apr 2011, at 09:23, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> For me I want something simple.
>
> I have one window on the side and I see text in there.
> No press no opening, popup....
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 8, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Simon Denier wrote:
>
>> So like Preview, press enter to open, press enter again to close?
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> On 8 avr. 2011, at 09:34, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> You can have that. The question is how this will be rendered, because you do not want a new window every time you press Enter.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com