A4BP and BpmFlow

BrunoBB
Serge,

I just created another thread to talk about both projects (we can discuss
all here as Norbert request):
A4BP
https://github.com/A4BP
BpmFlow
https://github.com/brunobuzzi/BpmFlow

Regards,
Bruno

Re: A4BP and BpmFlow

NorbertHartl
Can you elaborate a bit. There is plenty of stuff to find in the links below. I could not even find the NewWave

Thanks,

Norbert

> Am 20.04.2019 um 22:23 schrieb BrunoBB <[hidden email]>:
>
> Serge,
>
> I just created another thread to talk about both projects (we can discuss
> all here as Norbert request):
> A4BP
> https://github.com/A4BP
> BpmFlow
> https://github.com/brunobuzzi/BpmFlow
>
> Regards,
> Bruno

Re: A4BP and BpmFlow

NorbertHartl
Haha, I confused myself. Forget the last mail

Norbert

> Am 20.04.2019 um 23:31 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>
> Can you elaborate a bit. There is plenty of stuff to find in the links below. I could not even find the NewWave
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norbert
>
>> Am 20.04.2019 um 22:23 schrieb BrunoBB <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Serge,
>>
>> I just created another thread to talk about both projects (we can discuss
>> all here as Norbert request):
>> A4BP
>> https://github.com/A4BP
>> BpmFlow
>> https://github.com/brunobuzzi/BpmFlow
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bruno
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: A4BP and BpmFlow

cedreek
Hi,

I’m also very interested in BP/Workflow apps.

First to show my students what is a BPM system… but also to manage my personal routines (and more).

I find NewWave very nice. I have to dig into BPMFlow and A4BP as I don’t know them (nice document section btw). So thanks for bringing that up.

I also thing we need to do it « a la smalltalk » and consider workflow split over multiples images. Does A4BP or BPM flow manage that ?

I add the two other links to others BP/Workflow pharo implementations (NewWave and Workflow*):

** the one of Sebastijan
https://github.com/skaplar/NewWave (include TaskIt processes which is cool)
=> I like it a lot. That is their first implementation and they have plans so it will be actively improved (sebatijarn may say more).
** the one of NetStyle
https://github.com/Netstyle/Workflow (but quite dependent on Seaside/Magritte UI - not TaskIt).
https://github.com/cdrick65/Workflow (some modifications we didi so that it loads).

Cheers,

Cédrik

* I’m not the developer of them at all. Just following, testing.

> Le 20 avr. 2019 à 23:32, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Haha, I confused myself. Forget the last mail
>
> Norbert
>
>> Am 20.04.2019 um 23:31 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Can you elaborate a bit. There is plenty of stuff to find in the links below. I could not even find the NewWave
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 20.04.2019 um 22:23 schrieb BrunoBB <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Serge,
>>>
>>> I just created another thread to talk about both projects (we can discuss
>>> all here as Norbert request):
>>> A4BP
>>> https://github.com/A4BP
>>> BpmFlow
>>> https://github.com/brunobuzzi/BpmFlow
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Bruno
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: A4BP and BpmFlow

cedreek
I cannot run the A4BP (Pharo 4 app) on osx.

Btw, what is the link between Kendrick and A4BP

TIA,

Cédrick

Le 21 avr. 2019 à 10:57, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

yes, I’m interested, too, in how we can get a workflow engine and a simple reification of a workflow model that can be used in a lot of scenarios.

> Am 21.04.2019 um 10:57 schrieb Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m also very interested in BP/Workflow apps.
>
> First to show my students what is a BPM system… but also to manage my personal routines (and more).
>
> I find NewWave very nice. I have to dig into BPMFlow and A4BP as I don’t know them (nice document section btw). So thanks for bringing that up.
>
> I also thing we need to do it « a la smalltalk » and consider workflow split over multiples images. Does A4BP or BPM flow manage that ?

That is something I’m working on. In the IoT space this will become very important. We will have devices attached to a network that need to work together in a workflow scenario to solve a problem. We have the prerequisites for this, bringing devices into a network and manage them centrally. In the mid-term I want to use a workflow engine that can be adjusted to these needs.

Norbert

> I add the two other links to others BP/Workflow pharo implementations (NewWave and Workflow*):
>
> ** the one of Sebastijan
> https://github.com/skaplar/NewWave (include TaskIt processes which is cool)
> => I like it a lot. That is their first implementation and they have plans so it will be actively improved (sebatijarn may say more).
> ** the one of NetStyle
> https://github.com/Netstyle/Workflow (but quite dependent on Seaside/Magritte UI - not TaskIt).
> https://github.com/cdrick65/Workflow (some modifications we didi so that it loads).
>

> Cheers,
>
> Cédrik
>
> * I’m not the developer of them at all. Just following, testing.
>
>> Le 20 avr. 2019 à 23:32, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Haha, I confused myself. Forget the last mail
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 20.04.2019 um 23:31 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Can you elaborate a bit. There is plenty of stuff to find in the links below. I could not even find the NewWave
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Norbert

Re: A4BP and BpmFlow

SergeStinckwich

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 10:03 AM Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> wrote:
I cannot run the A4BP (Pharo 4 app) on osx.

Yes you are right, we need to update the software to a more recent of Pharo.
Btw, what is the link between Kendrick and A4BP

There is no relationship, I guess we reuse the template of the Kendrick project for this one.
I fix the README file.

A4BP is a BPMN engine built originally by Alvaro Jose Peralta.
With A4BP, you can download a BPMN file, do a simulation with BPMSim and assess various aspects (static, dynamic) of a business process.
There is some limited support for Process Mining also. We use Roassal to assess visually processes.
We made a publication where we use A4BP to assess rescue processes after a disaster in 2015:

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwic

Int. Research Unit
 on Modelling/Simulation of Complex Systems (UMMISCO)
Sorbonne University
 (SU)
French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (IRD)
niversity of Yaoundé I, Cameroun
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
https://twitter.com/SergeStinckwich

PastedGraphic-11.png (249K) Download Attachment

Re: A4BP and BpmFlow

SergeStinckwich

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 9:24 PM BrunoBB <[hidden email]> wrote:
Serge,

I just created another thread to talk about both projects (we can discuss
all here as Norbert request):
A4BP
https://github.com/A4BP
BpmFlow
https://github.com/brunobuzzi/BpmFlow

Hi Bruno,

I explained a little what is AB4P in another thread.
My original question was that maybe we can combine our effort to have more impact.

--
Serge Stinckwic

Int. Research Unit
 on Modelling/Simulation of Complex Systems (UMMISCO)
Sorbonne University
 (SU)
French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (IRD)
niversity of Yaoundé I, Cameroun
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
https://twitter.com/SergeStinckwich

Re: A4BP and BpmFlow

BrunoBB
> I also thing we need to do it « a la smalltalk » and consider workflow split over multiples images. Does A4BP or BPM flow manage that ?

What exactly do you want to split over multiple images ? It can be only
applied to parallel tasks.

1) The execution of the workflow ? Task1 executed by VM1, Task2 executed
by VM2 and so on ...

2) Task Assignment for different users ?  Suppose there are 4 parallel
task to be done in a workflow these task are split to different VMs.

3) Add here any other options to split over multiple VMs.

BpmFlow does not support 1) for ScriptTasks, i think for this you will
need a master VM to orchestrate the execution.

Definitely 2) is supported, on the same BPM Process different user tasks
can be executed by different VMs (remember Bpm Flow run on GemStone, it
should be ported to Pharo first). I talking about a Frontoffice
application here (different from case 1) where at the same time
different users can take an available task (of the same BPM Process) to
finish and eventually these tasks can be served by a different VMs.

Actually 1) can be implemented in BpmFlow without a master VM. Let
suppose that a one point N Script Tasks (long and complex scripts) are
generated in the same BPM Process. Those Script Tasks can be put on a
RcCollection (or a table if you use a RDB) and multiple VMs can access
that collection and execute tasks. I just added this an issue:
https://github.com/brunobuzzi/BpmFlow/issues/845

Bpm Flow does something like this for Timer Events (events collection
can be accessed by multiple VMs):

https://bpmflow.gitbook.io/project/functional-and-technical-information/timers/task-timers

Regards,

Bruno

Re: A4BP and BpmFlow

BrunoBB
Norbert,

> yes, I’m interested, too, in how we can get a workflow engine and a simple reification of a workflow model that can be used in a lot of scenarios.
Can list some scenarios to tell you if BpmFlow can do it ?

BpmFlow can be integrated to regular Business Applications to add
workflow capabilities to regular Applications. I'm working on one of
this type of application right now (the documentation is being developed
now so you will find some holes on it- after i finish the application i
will finish the documentation).

Check:
https://bpmflow.gitbook.io/project/engineering-models/architecture-for-atop-applications

> That is something I’m working on. In the IoT space this will become very important. We will have devices attached to a network that need to work together in a workflow scenario to solve a problem. We have the prerequisites for this, bringing devices into a network and manage them centrally. In the mid-term I want to use a workflow engine that can be adjusted to these needs.

In this case i think that devices will send information using services
and the Workflow (on the server) will centralize that operation. I do
not see any problem here but the definition of the Workflow itself. For
example opening a Bank account from the mobile. This workflow will have
to connect to different third parties applications through services.

regards

bruno

Re: A4BP and BpmFlow

BrunoBB
Serge,

I just read the PDF  but i will need time to learn about other Workflow
projects. But definitely in the long term we can collaborate but now i do
not see any concrete step (because my lack of knowledge of the other
projects).

Maybe the more concrete step to do now is to ask how each project solved
different BPM problems. So each project can benefit from the others
experience. Not sure if a mail list is the best tool or we should create a
Git wiki or something like that. It seems there at least 4 Smalltalk project
working with workflows - good news !

regards
bruno