ABTBMP40.DLL error

Francesco Raymondi
Hi all,
today I have a big problem in my installations: ABTBMP40.DLL gives an error when I open a form.

The error appears on several pc after Windows Update.
The dll version is:

4.5.0.2

05/05/1998

Can you help me?

Thank you very much.

Francesco

Re: ABTBMP40.DLL error

Marcus Wagner
Hi Francesco,
without asking for details... IBM VAST 4.5 was released 1998 with targets (among others) Windows 95 and NT.
I assume you are running a far more modern version of Windows - and you are victim of a compatibility problem.
Try to run abt.exe under compatibility mode (under properties of abt.exe). E.g. Windows 8.1 offers compatibilty for Windows 95.
With some luck it will still run... if it does not, please post more information about your windows version and details about the error.

Marcus

[hidden email] schrieb am Donnerstag, 10. Dezember 2020 um 09:41:55 UTC+1:
Hi all,
today I have a big problem in my installations: ABTBMP40.DLL gives an error when I open a form.

The error appears on several pc after Windows Update.
The dll version is:

4.5.0.2

05/05/1998

Can you help me?

Thank you very much.

Francesco

Re: ABTBMP40.DLL error

Francesco Raymondi
Hi Marcus,
thank you for your suggestion.

We resolved uninstalling KB4592438 in Windows 10.

But now we have to correct the problem in our software.
Does the new version of Visual Age contain a new version of this dll?

Francesco

Il giorno gio 10 dic 2020 alle ore 14:02 Marcus Wagner <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

yes. Even before VAST was handed over from IBM to Instantiations, there where newer versions of that DLL (5, 5.5, 6).
Inspect https://www.instantiations.com/docs/FAQ/#page/FAQ/va02022.html#
which version supports your environment. As far as I saw, Windows 10 requires at least VAST 8.6.2 and VAST requires at least Windows 10 Pro.
And consider carefully all implications: it is not possible to exchange just simply only that particular DLL.
You have to migrate you app to a newer version of VAST. This is also documented well, e.g. to move (from anywhere) to 9.2.2 study here
https://www.instantiations.com/docs/922/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=mi/migrate.html
And besides: you can now choose between a 32 and a 64 bit version.
Marcus

[hidden email] schrieb am Donnerstag, 10. Dezember 2020 um 15:53:51 UTC+1:
[...]

Seth Berman

Greetings Francesco:

While Instantiations does not offer technical support for IBM VisualAge products, the VAST Platform is compatible with VisualAge Smalltalk.

Long-time VisualAge users can still upgrade to the VAST Platform through special upgrade pricing that includes a year of technical support and software updates.

Certainly let us know if we can help you migrate your VisualAge Smalltalk application to VAST to gain the latest development tools, modern operating system support, and essential security enhancements while maintaining a development environment that's familiar, but far more advanced.

Custom development and consulting services are available to help ensure the migration process goes more smoothly. https://instantiations.com/services/

If you're interested, please contact [hidden email] for more details.

Kind Regards and have a great holiday season,

- Seth Berman