AIDA/Web 5.4 is here, on Squeak and VisualWorks simultaneously while
Dolphin and Smalltalk/X ports are coming soon.
What is new in 5.4?
- more robust and seamless Ajax support, you won't even notice that
you are doing Ajax!
- input streaming (for large file uploads) and output streaming/chunking
(for large file downloads and HTTP streaming/Comet)
- WebGrid ajaxified filters
- better real-time statistics including referrers
- better integration of the TinyMCE Rich Text Editor
- tabulation with ENTER key besides TAB one
- reorganization of packages
To introduce it a bit: AIDA/Web is a web application server and
framework for building complex web applications with seamlessly
integrated Ajax support, rich collection of web components to build web
pages programatically, MVC-like separation of presentation from domain,
nice looking and bookmarkable RESTfull url links, with integrated
security, user and group management, static file serving and many more.
AIDA/Web is known by its simplicity but power to build most demanding
web applications of many sorts. It has everything you need for a real
web app, together with Ajax.
It is also a mature one, running web apps in production since 1996. It
is used in many intranet business apps from Gas billing system for all
gas in Slovenia to logistics management system called e-logis and
recently a CMS like system for Quality and Business process management.
I hope that Smalltalkers will find Aida useful and a good choice for
building your most demanding web applications!