AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

Jan Vrany-2
Hello guys,

I would like to announce that AIDA/Web is now
running on Smalltalk/X as well. Jaroslav Havlin
(who did the most of porting work) and me just finished
initial port based on AIDA 6.0 beta 1 & Swazoo 2.2.
The demo site is running.

You can download it from:

http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/StxGoodiesAida

Please post all bugs & suggestions to our Trac:

http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/newticket

Source code is available at:

http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/browser

Enjoy.

Best regards, Jan Vrany

Re: AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

Janko Mivšek
Ahoj Jan,

That's the news for this holiday season! Thank you and Jaroslav a lot
for the port. I'll try to find some time to test it ASAP.

Have you still some open problems or everything works as expected?

Best regards
Janko

Jan Vrany wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I would like to announce that AIDA/Web is now
> running on Smalltalk/X as well. Jaroslav Havlin
> (who did the most of porting work) and me just finished
> initial port based on AIDA 6.0 beta 1 & Swazoo 2.2.
> The demo site is running.
>
> You can download it from:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/StxGoodiesAida
>
> Please post all bugs & suggestions to our Trac:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/newticket
>
> Source code is available at:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/browser
>

> Enjoy.
>
> Best regards, Jan Vrany

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

Jan Vrany-2
Hi Janko,

Jaroslav told me that there is only one know issue that
deals with caching, but this this not affects the
functionality and he claims that this could be easily fixed.
So no serious problem till now.

However, soon we will run in serious problems with syncing
our port with your's upstream. Although SPort solves a lot,
there are still many methods that had to be fixed manually,
for instance in Smalltalk/X "Character cr" returns #13 or #10
depending on underlaying operating system, so we had to change
all "Character cr" to stxish "Character return".

The bad thing is, ther we will have to repeat this annoying and
error-prone task every time you relases new version. Of course,
we (me and you) can refactor the code to use some dialect independent
methods or extend a sport in that way, but still there will be two
different independent codebases, that will require some manual
work to synchronize.

Based on Lukas Renggli's statement on ESUG 2009, I started to
port monticello2 on Smalltalk/X (not yet finished :-(.
So, once I will have MC2 working in St/X and once you
switch to MC2, we can share and commit to SAME repository, which
will make all the porting work faster, less time-consuming a much
more effective. SeaSide & GemStone example shows that this is reasonable
way how to develop code for two more smalltalk platforms efficienly.

Does it make sense for you?

Cheers, Jan

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 11:27 +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Ahoj Jan,
>
> That's the news for this holiday season! Thank you and Jaroslav a lot
> for the port. I'll try to find some time to test it ASAP.
>
> Have you still some open problems or everything works as expected?
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> Jan Vrany wrote:
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > I would like to announce that AIDA/Web is now
> > running on Smalltalk/X as well. Jaroslav Havlin
> > (who did the most of porting work) and me just finished
> > initial port based on AIDA 6.0 beta 1 & Swazoo 2.2.
> > The demo site is running.
> >
> > You can download it from:
> >
> > http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/StxGoodiesAida
> >
> > Please post all bugs & suggestions to our Trac:
> >
> > http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/newticket
> >
> > Source code is available at:
> >
> > http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/browser
> >

> > Enjoy.
> >
> > Best regards, Jan Vrany

Re: AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

garduino
Excellent news!!

I'm thinking more and more (really tired of some particularities of
Squeak and its community) in give a very serious try to ST/X this long
summer.

Having Aida/Swazoo is good starting point to me!

Cheers.

2008/12/10 Jan Vrany <[hidden email]>:

> Hello guys,
>
> I would like to announce that AIDA/Web is now
> running on Smalltalk/X as well. Jaroslav Havlin
> (who did the most of porting work) and me just finished
> initial port based on AIDA 6.0 beta 1 & Swazoo 2.2.
> The demo site is running.
>
> You can download it from:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/StxGoodiesAida
>
> Please post all bugs & suggestions to our Trac:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/newticket
>
> Source code is available at:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/browser
>

> Enjoy.
>
> Best regards, Jan Vrany

Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

Re: AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

Nicolas Petton
Le mercredi 10 décembre 2008 à 10:41 +0100, Jan Vrany a écrit :
> Hello guys,

Hi,

This is a great news!
Thank you very much for this port.

Are you also interested to port Scribo under Smalltalk/X?

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.aidaweb.si

Re: AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

Jan Vrany-2
Hi,

> Are you also interested to port Scribo under Smalltalk/X?

Yes, sooner or later. But our primary motivation is to
have a web framework for developing web interface to
our experimental XML database. So, in next say half a year
we will concentrate on this. However, I'll try it if I
find some spare time, be sure :-)

Jan

Re: AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

garduino
Hehe, Then I should port my console.......and use the task to learn a
bit of ST/X GUI Painter!

2008/12/10 Jan Vrany <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
>> Are you also interested to port Scribo under Smalltalk/X?
>>

> Yes, sooner or later. But our primary motivation is to
> have a web framework for developing web interface to
> our experimental XML database. So, in next say half a year
> we will concentrate on this. However, I'll try it if I
> find some spare time, be sure :-)
>
> Jan

Re: AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

Janko Mivšek
Hi Jan and others,

I just put the Smalltalk/X port to download page of our website:

        http://www.aidaweb.si/download.html

I hope I did everything more or less right otherwise let know to correct
it.

Now let me try it ... ;)

Best regards
Janko

Jan Vrany wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I would like to announce that AIDA/Web is now
> running on Smalltalk/X as well. Jaroslav Havlin
> (who did the most of porting work) and me just finished
> initial port based on AIDA 6.0 beta 1 & Swazoo 2.2.
> The demo site is running.
>
> You can download it from:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/StxGoodiesAida
>
> Please post all bugs & suggestions to our Trac:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/newticket
>
> Source code is available at:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/browser
>

> Enjoy.
>
> Best regards, Jan Vrany

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

Rob Rothwell
It started right up for me; but get's some weird errors if you use it in a tabbed Firefox browser when you move to another tab...

Rob

Jan Vrany wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I would like to announce that AIDA/Web is now
> running on Smalltalk/X as well. Jaroslav Havlin
> (who did the most of porting work) and me just finished
> initial port based on AIDA 6.0 beta 1 & Swazoo 2.2.
> The demo site is running.
>
> You can download it from:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/StxGoodiesAida
>
> Please post all bugs & suggestions to our Trac:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/newticket
>
> Source code is available at:
>
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/browser
>

> Enjoy.
>
> Best regards, Jan Vrany

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

Jan Vrany-2
You mean the Smalltalk/X port?

Jan

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 08:41 -0500, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> It started right up for me; but get's some weird errors if you use it
> in a tabbed Firefox browser when you move to another tab...
>
> Rob
>
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Janko Mivšek
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi Jan and others,
>
>         I just put the Smalltalk/X port to download page of our
>         website:
>
>                http://www.aidaweb.si/download.html
>
>         I hope I did everything more or less right otherwise let know
>         to correct
>         it.
>
>         Now let me try it ... ;)
>

>         Best regards
>         Janko
>
>         Jan Vrany wrote:
>

>         > Hello guys,
>         >
>         > I would like to announce that AIDA/Web is now
>         > running on Smalltalk/X as well. Jaroslav Havlin
>         > (who did the most of porting work) and me just finished
>         > initial port based on AIDA 6.0 beta 1 & Swazoo 2.2.
>         > The demo site is running.
>         >
>         > You can download it from:
>         >
>         >
>         http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/StxGoodiesAida
>         >
>         > Please post all bugs & suggestions to our Trac:
>         >
>         > http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/newticket
>         >
>         > Source code is available at:
>         >
>         > http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/browser
>         >
>         >
>         > Enjoy.
>         >
>         > Best regards, Jan Vrany
>         >
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Aida mailing list
>         > [hidden email]
>         > http://lists.aidaweb.si/mailman/listinfo/aida
>         >
>

>         --
>         Janko Mivšek
>         AIDA/Web
>         Smalltalk Web Application Server
>         http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

Rob Rothwell
Correct...but it's kind of intermittent, and I haven't been able to consistently reproduce it yet...hence the no reporting!

Rob