AIDASite>>initFavicon

Bèrto ëd Sèra
Hi all,

we've been discussing weird shortcut icons behaviour on IRC for a while. Most of the trouble seems to be really just browser related, since I eventually got to see my icon on Opera and still cannot have it on Firefox 3. Yet... to make it show on Opera I had to move the code until it read:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico" >

so my AIDASite>>addLinkToFavicon now reads:

addLinkToFavicon: aFaviconImageOrUrl
    "favicon (favorites icon). So far only in .ico format!"
    | url |
    url := aFaviconImageOrUrl isString
        ifTrue: [aFaviconImageOrUrl]
        ifFalse: [self site urlResolver halfUrlFor: aFaviconImageOrUrl].
    self addHeader: 'link' value: 'rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="', url, '" '

not sure whether saying "shortcut icon" instead of just "icon" would be THAT critical, yet it works like this and it didn't before.

The whole investigation started upon deleting the demo site to start my own site. The icon vanished at that point. In the process I stumbled upon what really looks like a bug to me, and I corrected it. Nicolas suggested that I should execute
(AIDASite named: 'mySiteName') initFavicon
to fix the problem, yet I was getting weird results upon inspecting the outcome. It looked as if nothing happened. In the end I came to realize that initFaviconcould not be executed as long as an existing favico was in cache. So I modified AIDASite>>initFavicon as follows.

initFavicon
        "/favicon.ico, a small icon shown in browser near url address"
        "(AIDASite named: 'biart') initFavicon."
        | icon |
        icon := WebMethodImage initCache;
                fromMethod: #favicon on: self style contentType: 'image/x-icon' site: self.
        self urlResolver defaultURL: '/favicon.ico' forObject: icon.

###############################
The #initCache is needed (at least so it seems) because on WebMethodImage:

fromMethod: aSymbol on: anObject contentType: aString site: anAIDASite
        "cached one only preservers its url, but method is still called everytime image is shown!"
        | cached |
        cached := self imageForObject: anObject andMethod: aSymbol.
        ^cached notNil
                ifTrue: [cached]
                ifFalse: [super new
                        object: anObject;
                        method: aSymbol;
                        contentType: aString;
                        site: anAIDASite;
                        addToCache]

Re: AIDASite>>initFavicon

Janko Mivšek
This is really weird. I can open the favicon directly
http://demo.aidaweb.si/favicon.ico, in page header it seems ok:
<link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico" >

I also tried all permutations as you did, but no success. So, what we
are doing wrong with that favicons?

Janko

Bèrto ëd Sèra pravi:

> Hi all,
>
> we've been discussing weird shortcut icons behaviour on IRC for a while.
> Most of the trouble seems to be really just browser related, since I
> eventually got to see my icon on Opera and still cannot have it on
> Firefox 3. Yet... to make it show on Opera I had to move the code until
> it read:
>
> <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico" >
>
> so my AIDASite>>addLinkToFavicon now reads:
>
> addLinkToFavicon: aFaviconImageOrUrl
>     "favicon (favorites icon). So far only in .ico format!"
>     | url |
>     url := aFaviconImageOrUrl isString
>         ifTrue: [aFaviconImageOrUrl]
>         ifFalse: [self site urlResolver halfUrlFor: aFaviconImageOrUrl].
>     self addHeader: 'link' value: 'rel="shortcut icon"
> type="image/x-icon" href="', url, '" '
>
> not sure whether saying "shortcut icon" instead of just "icon" would be
> THAT critical, yet it works like this and it didn't before.
>
> The whole investigation started upon deleting the demo site to start my
> own site. The icon vanished at that point. In the process I stumbled
> upon what really looks like a bug to me, and I corrected it. Nicolas
> suggested that I should execute
> (AIDASite named: 'mySiteName') initFavicon
> to fix the problem, yet I was getting weird results upon inspecting the
> outcome. It looked as if nothing happened. In the end I came to realize
> that initFaviconcould not be executed as long as an existing favico was
> in cache. So I modified AIDASite>>initFavicon as follows.
>
> initFavicon
>         "/favicon.ico, a small icon shown in browser near url address"
>         "(AIDASite named: 'biart') initFavicon."
>         | icon |
>         icon := WebMethodImage initCache;
>                 fromMethod: #favicon on: self style contentType:
> 'image/x-icon' site: self.
>         self urlResolver defaultURL: '/favicon.ico' forObject: icon.
>

> ###############################
> The #initCache is needed (at least so it seems) because on WebMethodImage:
>
> fromMethod: aSymbol on: anObject contentType: aString site: anAIDASite
>         "cached one only preservers its url, but method is still called
> everytime image is shown!"
>         | cached |
>         cached := self imageForObject: anObject andMethod: aSymbol.
>         ^cached notNil
>                 ifTrue: [cached]
>                 ifFalse: [super new
>                         object: anObject;
>                         method: aSymbol;
>                         contentType: aString;
>                         site: anAIDASite;
>                         addToCache]
> #################################
>
> I suppose this should be corrected in the official image, too (unless
> there is something else that clears the cache).
>
> Let me know
> Berto

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: AIDASite>>initFavicon

Bèrto ëd Sèra
Hi Janko,

my take is that it's not really us doing wrong things, but rather browsers being inconsistent. Try this by downloading a browser you never used and access the site.
For example you can use:
http://hehe2.net/linuxhowto/chromium-googles-browser-on-linux-and-mac/

I see my icon perfectly in it. I cannot see it on Firefox in anyway.

Berto

2009/4/15 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
> [...]

> ###############################
> The #initCache is needed (at least so it seems) because on WebMethodImage:
>
> fromMethod: aSymbol on: anObject contentType: aString site: anAIDASite
>         "cached one only preservers its url, but method is still called
> everytime image is shown!"
>         | cached |
>         cached := self imageForObject: anObject andMethod: aSymbol.
>         ^cached notNil
>                 ifTrue: [cached]
>                 ifFalse: [super new
>                         object: anObject;
>                         method: aSymbol;
>                         contentType: aString;
>                         site: anAIDASite;
>                         addToCache]
> #################################
>
> I suppose this should be corrected in the official image, too (unless
> there is something else that clears the cache).

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

==============================
Constitution du 24 juin 1793 - Article 35. - Quand le gouvernement viole les droits du peuple, l'insurrection est, pour le peuple et pour chaque portion du peuple, le plus sacré des droits et le plus indispensable des devoirs.

Re: AIDASite>>initFavicon

Bèrto ëd Sèra
BTW, after a few hours Firefox crashed... not on the AIDA site, I actually was on commons.wikipedia.org

Anyway, upon restarting FF... I found my icons in place. So it's definitely something with FF.

Berto

2009/4/16 Bèrto ëd Sèra <[hidden email]>
> [...]

> ###############################
> The #initCache is needed (at least so it seems) because on WebMethodImage:
>
> fromMethod: aSymbol on: anObject contentType: aString site: anAIDASite
>         "cached one only preservers its url, but method is still called
> everytime image is shown!"
>         | cached |
>         cached := self imageForObject: anObject andMethod: aSymbol.
>         ^cached notNil
>                 ifTrue: [cached]
>                 ifFalse: [super new
>                         object: anObject;
>                         method: aSymbol;
>                         contentType: aString;
>                         site: anAIDASite;
>                         addToCache]
> #################################
>
> I suppose this should be corrected in the official image, too (unless
> there is something else that clears the cache).

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

==============================

--
==============================
Constitution du 24 juin 1793 - Article 35. - Quand le gouvernement viole les droits du peuple, l'insurrection est, pour le peuple et pour chaque portion du peuple, le plus sacré des droits et le plus indispensable des devoirs.

Re: AIDASite>>initFavicon

Andreas Petermann-2

the problem here is that every browser handles favicons in a different way. IE6 for instance only load favicons when you add the page to your favorites. Firefox should load the icon by opening a page for the first time. So when you change the favicon, you should reset the browser cache too. You do not need the link element to show any favicon because the browsers automatically load them from the server.

regards
Andreas

Andreas Petermann
Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg