[ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

12

[ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Marcus Denker-4
Please check...

        https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28340/PharoCore-1.2.zip

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

laurent laffont

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please check...

       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28340/PharoCore-1.2.zip

What is the official VM for Pharo 1.2 ? Running all tests with Cog (OSX) => crash.

Laurent.

On Mar 14, 2011, at 3:08 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please check...

       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28340/PharoCore-1.2.zip

What is the official VM for Pharo 1.2 ? Running all tests with Cog (OSX) => crash.

Not cog yet... all the time the integration server did *not* run cog, so I would not push
it in the last second. Just one tiny step at a time... 1.3 then we should start to
use Cog (for integration, too)... first we need to finish the hudson build of Cog, though.

Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Saturday, 1.2 worked with a Cog-Stack VM.

Noury
On 14 mars 2011, at 15:17, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2011, at 3:08 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please check...
>>

>>        https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28340/PharoCore-1.2.zip
>>

>> What is the official VM for Pharo 1.2 ? Running all tests with Cog (OSX) => crash.
>>

> Not cog yet... all the time the integration server did *not* run cog, so I would not push
> it in the last second. Just one tiny step at a time... 1.3 then we should start to
> use Cog (for integration, too)... first we need to finish the hudson build of Cog, though.
>

> Marcus
>
> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Noury Bouraqadi
http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
--
-6th National Conference on
“Control Architecture of Robots”

-19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011

-19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Lukas Renggli
Excellent! Can somebody update

    http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable-core

because it still points to Pharo 1.1.1, thus the build server picks up
the old image.

Lukas

www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Lukas Renggli
I've got my complete Jenkins server building on Pharo 1.2 now:

    http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/

Some stuff is still a bit broken, but it looks good so far.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Igor Stasenko
On 17 March 2011 19:11, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've got my complete Jenkins server building on Pharo 1.2 now:
>
>    http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/
>
> Some stuff is still a bit broken, but it looks good so far.

cool.

We need to put a pressure on INRIA guys to upgrade to jenkins..
because right now
some things are not working well

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Stéphane Ducasse

>> I've got my complete Jenkins server building on Pharo 1.2 now:
>>
>>    http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/
>>
>> Some stuff is still a bit broken, but it looks good so far.
>>
> cool.
>
> We need to put a pressure on INRIA guys to upgrade to jenkins..
> because right now
> some things are not working well

they know it and they have their own agenda.
For me I'm happy that they take care of the infrastructure.

On Mar 17, 2011, at 7:13 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I've got my complete Jenkins server building on Pharo 1.2 now:
>
>    http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/
>
> Some stuff is still a bit broken, but it looks good so far.

Very good! We then can release the 1.2 Full soon, too.
I wonder if we should adopt your OB codebase for that? Or do
we wait for 1.2.1?

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Lukas Renggli
> Very good! We then can release the 1.2 Full soon, too.
> I wonder if we should adopt your OB codebase for that? Or do
> we wait for 1.2.1?

I would wait a bit. I noticed that the debugger is quite broken. I
only get the pre-debug window, but clicking on any button opens
another pre-debug window. I don't have time to investigate, is this
also in core or some side-effect of loading/unloading packages? The
method #topView seems to be missing.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Lukas Renggli
Ahh, looks like SimpleMorphic has some (probably unintentional)
overrides of core methods. Unloading the package pretty much breaks
everything :-(

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mar 18, 2011, at 7:09 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Ahh, looks like SimpleMorphic has some (probably unintentional)
> overrides of core methods. Unloading the package pretty much breaks
> everything :-(
>
> Lukas
>
> On 18 March 2011 07:02, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Very good! We then can release the 1.2 Full soon, too.
>>> I wonder if we should adopt your OB codebase for that? Or do
>>> we wait for 1.2.1?
>>
>> I would wait a bit. I noticed that the debugger is quite broken. I
>> only get the pre-debug window, but clicking on any button opens
>> another pre-debug window. I don't have time to investigate, is this
>> also in core or some side-effect of loading/unloading packages?

I would not unload packaged.

Everything not tested is broken, and so if you do things like that I am
sure you will have problems.

And nobody ever unloaded anything from Core.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 18.03.2011 07:41, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2011, at 7:09 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> Ahh, looks like SimpleMorphic has some (probably unintentional)
>> overrides of core methods. Unloading the package pretty much breaks
>> everything :-(
>>
>> Lukas

>>> I would wait a bit. I noticed that the debugger is quite broken. I
>>> only get the pre-debug window, but clicking on any button opens
>>> another pre-debug window. I don't have time to investigate, is this
>>> also in core or some side-effect of loading/unloading packages?
> I would not unload packaged.
>
> Everything not tested is broken, and so if you do things like that I am
> sure you will have problems.
>
> And nobody ever unloaded anything from Core.
>
> Marcus
I thought the general idea was to remove SimpleMorphic before releases?
Think I read so in an issue, or on the list.

Cheers,
Henry

On Mar 18, 2011, at 8:04 AM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

>> And nobody ever unloaded anything from Core.
>>
>> Marcus
> I thought the general idea was to remove SimpleMorphic before releases?
> Think I read so in an issue, or on the list.

Yes, but it was not done for 1.2 and 1.2 is *finished*.

If we want to do that, we need to do that *not after the release is released*
but before.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Tudor Girba
+1

Doru

On 18 Mar 2011, at 08:07, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2011, at 8:04 AM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
>>>

>>> And nobody ever unloaded anything from Core.
>>>
>>> Marcus
>> I thought the general idea was to remove SimpleMorphic before releases?
>> Think I read so in an issue, or on the list.
>

> Yes, but it was not done for 1.2 and 1.2 is *finished*.
>
> If we want to do that, we need to do that *not after the release is released*
> but before.
>
> Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

www.tudorgirba.com

"Beauty is where we see it."

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Marcus Denker-4

>> Yes, but it was not done for 1.2 and 1.2 is *finished*.
>>
>> If we want to do that, we need to do that *not after the release is released*
>> but before.

This whole thing just shows that "I only look at 1.2 when it is released" *DOES NOT WORK*.
1.2 Core was "Release Canditate" for *two months*. Release Canditate means "this will be
released *unchanged* if no problems are found". So isn't *that* the point to do things that
could need a fix in the release?

I am really tempted to declare 1.3 stable now and abandon any concept of release, as it's
a complete waste of time.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [ANN 1.2] prebuilt core 1.2 final

Lukas Renggli
> I would not unload packaged.
>
> Everything not tested is broken, and so if you do things like that I am
> sure you will have problems.
>
> And nobody ever unloaded anything from Core.

You must be joking right? In the mission you say "stable and small
core", but the numbers say something entirely different: PharoCore 1.0
is 11 MB, PharoCore 1.1 is 14 MB, PharoCore 1.2 is 16 MB. I mentioned
it before in this list, but I already had to unload stuff in PharoCore
1.1. Honestly, I don't really see the point of a PharoCore image if it
contains more and more not unloadable non-core code.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mar 18, 2011, at 8:16 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I would not unload packaged.
>>
>> Everything not tested is broken, and so if you do things like that I am
>> sure you will have problems.
>>
>> And nobody ever unloaded anything from Core.
>
> You must be joking right? In the mission you say "stable and small
> core", but the numbers say something entirely different: PharoCore 1.0
> is 11 MB, PharoCore 1.1 is 14 MB, PharoCore 1.2 is 16 MB. I mentioned
> it before in this list, but I already had to unload stuff in PharoCore
> 1.1. Honestly, I don't really see the point of a PharoCore image if it
> contains more and more not unloadable non-core code.

Size of the image comes in part from ever growing MC history. The only
other big thing should be the Minimal Morphic code, which is in there
temporarily.

Else:  People are welcome to help.

We do what we do and then we do a release even if it is imperfect.
Perfection is death, and delaying the release forever "because we could do better"
will not mean that we do better, just that we don't release ever.

Pharo 1.2 is *not* a goal in itself. It is just a snapshot on the way to a goal. Therefore
it's just a mess that is tested for some month so it does not have any obvious bugs.
Nothing else.

        Marcus

On Mar 18, 2011, at 8:24 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2011, at 8:16 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> I would not unload packaged.
>>>
>>> Everything not tested is broken, and so if you do things like that I am
>>> sure you will have problems.
>>>
>>> And nobody ever unloaded anything from Core.
>>
>> You must be joking right? In the mission you say "stable and small
>> core", but the numbers say something entirely different: PharoCore 1.0
>> is 11 MB, PharoCore 1.1 is 14 MB, PharoCore 1.2 is 16 MB. I mentioned
>> it before in this list, but I already had to unload stuff in PharoCore
>> 1.1. Honestly, I don't really see the point of a PharoCore image if it
>> contains more and more not unloadable non-core code.
>>
> Size of the image comes in part from ever growing MC history.

1.2  Core is 15.6MB

MCVersionInfo allInstances do: [ :each | each instVarNamed: 'ancestors' put: nil ].

--> 11.8 MB

Delete ScriptLoader class in addition:

--> 9.8MB

Starting with 1.2Core, doing