[ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi guys

We are happy to announce that the bugs with the source code is now
really fixed and covered by tests
(pay attention that we had to regenerate the sources again).

Thanks marcus and adrian. We removed the 7055 from the server. And
there is only now 7056.
If you want to do the update do it from 7053. Please remove all the
previous 39 sources and let us know.

[ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi,

We should call it the ESUG release, since it has been done here at
Prague :-)
BTW, Stéf was so tired yesterday that he forgot to mention that this
is the final 3.9.

I'm making this announce though I wasn't involved in the integration
process. But, the final built and tests were done in the hotel room
I'm sharing with Stéf and Serge. Marcus, Adrian,
Thorsten, and Bernhard were there too. The room was a bit crowded :-)

Thanks to all people who participate to 3.9.
Noury

Le 7 sept. 06 à 23:43, stéphane ducasse a écrit :

> Hi guys
>
> We are happy to announce that the bugs with the source code is now
> really fixed and covered by tests
> (pay attention that we had to regenerate the sources again).
>
> Thanks marcus and adrian. We removed the 7055 from the server. And
> there is only now 7056.
> If you want to do the update do it from 7053. Please remove all the
> previous 39 sources and let us know.
>
> Stef

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: a Free Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

[ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We should call it the ESUG release, since it has been done here at
> Prague :-)
> BTW, Stéf was so tired yesterday that he forgot to mention that this
> is the final 3.9.
>
> I'm making this announce though I wasn't involved in the integration
> process. But, the final built and tests were done in the hotel room
> I'm sharing with Stéf and Serge. Marcus, Adrian,
> Thorsten, and Bernhard were there too. The room was a bit crowded :-)
>
> Thanks to all people who participate to 3.9.
> Noury

And let me be the first (?) to congratulate you all!

It's been a rocky road but you pulled through and now we all have a nice
fresh piece of image that we can jump onto. It is a psychological
important step - a release. Even though it probably still has a bunch of
problems/bugs or whatever - we now have a common baseline that we can
grab and try to move into.

Again, thanks for all your hard work - bring out the champagne and let's
have fun! I will try to verify some of my packages in 3.9 ASAP.

regards, Göran

PS. For the next release, whatever its number - we should probably try
to spread the workload in some way. I know - it is note easy, and we did
try it for 3.9 with teams etc. But perhaps a bit of community
coordination and prodding is all we need to finally get those stewarding
teams rolling a bit more. But at the end of the day we probably still
will need a dedicated release team - hard to avoid - but the next
release could then perhaps be made smaller in scope.

Re: [ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

Damien Cassou-3

thank you very much for this release. There are some minor problems however:

- there are still MacOS files in the archive (__MACOSX and .DS_Store)
- preopened workspaces contains 'Here is the beta version of 3.9' and
'Welcome to the final gamma version of 3.9 of 29 of August 2006'.
- there is a space missing in: '- creating new cool products,
frameworks, applicationsin squeak'
- not sure but I think that in 'all the persons that participated',
'that' should be replaced by 'who'
- The map of SqueakMap should be updated
- After being updated, SqueakMap offers the following upgrades
     - SUnit 3.1.6->3.1.33
     - SqueakMap2 loader 1.05->1.06

Thanks

Damien

Re: [ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

Yann Monclair-3

RE: [ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

J J-6
Congratulations all.

And how does one get this again?  Someone told me how to FTP it but I can't
find the
mail and neither hotmail nor the message list archives (afaik) have a search
capability to
look for it. :(

J J a écrit :
> Congratulations all.
>
> And how does one get this again?  Someone told me how to FTP it but I
> can't find the
> mail and neither hotmail nor the message list archives (afaik) have a
> search capability to
> look for it. :(

Point your web browser to:
http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/Squeak3.9g-7056.zip

or
http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/

Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready

Adrian Lienhard
I run all tests in 7056. Here is the result:

2157 run, 2108 passes, 2 expected failures, 28 failures, 19 errors, 0
unexpected passes

FAILED

ChangeHooksTest>>#testClassRenamedEvent
ClassRenameFixTest>>#testRenameClassUsingClass
ClassTest>>#testRenaming
ColorTest>>#testPrintHtmlString
FloatMathPluginTests>>#testTan
MCPackageTest>>#testUnload
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testButtonMutex
MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testNaming
MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testRepositoryFallback
MVCToolBuilderTests>>#testButtonInitiallyDisabled
MVCToolBuilderTests>>#testButtonInitiallyDisabledSelector
MVCToolBuilderTests>>#testGetButtonColor
MVCToolBuilderTests>>#testGetButtonEnabled
MVCToolBuilderTests>>#testGetButtonSideEffectFree
MVCToolBuilderTests>>#testGetInputFieldColor
MVCToolBuilderTests>>#testGetPanelChildren
MVCToolBuilderTests>>#testGetTextColor
MVCToolBuilderTests>>#testGetWindowChildren
MVCToolBuilderTests>>#testGetWindowLabel
MacFileDirectoryTest>>#testMacFileFullPathFor
NumberParsingTest>>#testFloatReadError
ObjectFinalizerTests>>#testFinalizationOfEquals
SMDependencyTest>>#test1
SMDependencyTest>>#test3
StringTest>>#testIndexOf
SystemChangeNotifierTest>>#testClassRenamedEvent
TestIndenting>>#testBreak1
TestIndenting>>#testBreak2

ERRORS

On Sep 7, 2006, at 23:43 , stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> We are happy to announce that the bugs with the source code is now
> really fixed and covered by tests
> (pay attention that we had to regenerate the sources again).
>
> Thanks marcus and adrian. We removed the 7055 from the server. And
> there is only now 7056.
> If you want to do the update do it from 7053. Please remove all the
> previous 39 sources and let us know.
>
> Stef

Re: [ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

stéphane ducasse-2
Thanks
We may do a 3.9.1 release in a week and fix some final bugs.

Stef

On 8 sept. 06, at 09:35, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thank you very much for this release. There are some minor problems
> however:
>
> - there are still MacOS files in the archive (__MACOSX and .DS_Store)
> - preopened workspaces contains 'Here is the beta version of 3.9'
> and 'Welcome to the final gamma version of 3.9 of 29 of August 2006'.
> - there is a space missing in: '- creating new cool products,
> frameworks, applicationsin squeak'
> - not sure but I think that in 'all the persons that participated',
> 'that' should be replaced by 'who'
> - The map of SqueakMap should be updated
> - After being updated, SqueakMap offers the following upgrades
>     - SUnit 3.1.6->3.1.33
>     - SqueakMap2 loader 1.05->1.06
>

> Thanks
>
> --
> Damien

Re: [ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056)is ready)

J J-6
Thank you very much.  I had done some work in the previous 3.9 image, but I
took this
opportunity to figure out how to upgrade pier and co from monticello, and
then just file my
changes back in.

Seems to be working great.  I don't know if I did it right, but things that
didn't work on
Pier before (settings and environment) seem to be fixed so I guess I'm good
to go. :)

On 8 sept. 06, at 11:59, J J wrote:

> Thank you very much.  I had done some work in the previous 3.9
> image, but I took this
> opportunity to figure out how to upgrade pier and co from
> monticello, and then just file my
> changes back in.
>
> Seems to be working great.  I don't know if I did it right, but
> things that didn't work on
> Pier before (settings and environment) seem to be fixed so I guess
> I'm good to go. :)

A really important suggestion: write tests about your code this way
in this situation you will
always be under control. You will know if the underlying code breaks
or not your code.
Once you get used to this warn feeling it is difficult to do without.
So really do the experience :)

Re: [ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

karl-8
Should update the ftp archive and download links ?
Karl

Noury Bouraqadi skrev:

> Hi,
>
> We should call it the ESUG release, since it has been done here at
> Prague :-)
> BTW, Stéf was so tired yesterday that he forgot to mention that this
> is the final 3.9.
>
> I'm making this announce though I wasn't involved in the integration
> process. But, the final built and tests were done in the hotel room
> I'm sharing with Stéf and Serge. Marcus, Adrian,
> Thorsten, and Bernhard were there too. The room was a bit crowded :-)
>
> Thanks to all people who participate to 3.9.
> Noury
>
> Le 7 sept. 06 à 23:43, stéphane ducasse a écrit :
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> We are happy to announce that the bugs with the source code is now
>> really fixed and covered by tests
>> (pay attention that we had to regenerate the sources again).
>>
>> Thanks marcus and adrian. We removed the 7055 from the server. And
>> there is only now 7056.
>> If you want to do the update do it from 7053. Please remove all the
>> previous 39 sources and let us know.
>>
>> Stef

> Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
> ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury
>
> European Smalltalk Users Group Board
> http://www.esug.org
>
> Squeak: a Free Smalltalk
> http://www.squeak.org

Re: [ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi karl

I fixed another bug in the way back and I will publish a new version
but we can consider it as stable now.
We will do

Stef

> Should update the ftp archive and download links ?
> Karl
>

> Noury Bouraqadi skrev:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We should call it the ESUG release, since it has been done here at
>> Prague :-)
>> BTW, Stéf was so tired yesterday that he forgot to mention that
>> this is the final 3.9.
>>
>> I'm making this announce though I wasn't involved in the
>> integration process. But, the final built and tests were done in
>> the hotel room I'm sharing with Stéf and Serge. Marcus, Adrian,
>> Thorsten, and Bernhard were there too. The room was a bit crowded :-)
>>
>> Thanks to all people who participate to 3.9.
>> Noury
>>
>> Le 7 sept. 06 à 23:43, stéphane ducasse a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> We are happy to announce that the bugs with the source code is
>>> now really fixed and covered by tests
>>> (pay attention that we had to regenerate the sources again).
>>>
>>> Thanks marcus and adrian. We removed the 7055 from the server.
>>> And there is only now 7056.
>>> If you want to do the update do it from 7053. Please remove all
>>> the previous 39 sources and let us know.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
>> ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
>> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury
>>
>> European Smalltalk Users Group Board
>> http://www.esug.org
>>
>> Squeak: a Free Smalltalk
>> http://www.squeak.org

Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready

Serge Stinckwich-4
stéphane ducasse a écrit :

> Hi guys
>
> We are happy to announce that the bugs with the source code is now
> really fixed and covered by tests
> (pay attention that we had to regenerate the sources again).
>
> Thanks marcus and adrian. We removed the 7055 from the server. And there
> is only now 7056.
> If you want to do the update do it from 7053. Please remove all the
> previous 39 sources and let us know.

Great work guys !
I take a picture of this historical event :

http://www.iutc3.unicaen.fr/~stincs/share/squeak39.jpg

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##

RE: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready

Gary Chambers
Well done all!

could someone confirm that we should do that?
I'm always confused with SqueakMap status

On 8 sept. 06, at 11:49, stéphane ducasse wrote:

>> - The map of SqueakMap should be updated
>> - After being updated, SqueakMap offers the following upgrades
>>     - SUnit 3.1.6->3.1.33
>>     - SqueakMap2 loader 1.05->1.06

Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready

jayh

Thanks - I admire the GUI changes in 3.9; from the first glance there
was no going back to 3.8.

Question: if I've already build my own dev environment in 7055, is
there a
way to back up to 7053 in that image, and update from there?  Or do I
need
to rebuild from scratch?

Thanks - and congrats on the spiffy new version (3.9)
Jay

On Sep 7, 2006, at 5:43 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> We are happy to announce that the bugs with the source code is now
> really fixed and covered by tests
> (pay attention that we had to regenerate the sources again).
>
> Thanks marcus and adrian. We removed the 7055 from the server. And
> there is only now 7056.
> If you want to do the update do it from 7053. Please remove all the
> previous 39 sources and let us know.
>
> Stef

Re: [ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

Jason Rogers-4
WOW!  Thanks guys for all of the hard work!!  I am excited to upgrade
to this version and bring all my stuff in.

--
Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18

Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready

stéphane ducasse-2
Publish on squeaksource using MC and it should load like a charm in
3.9-...

On 10 sept. 06, at 07:19, Jay Hardesty wrote:

> Thanks - I admire the GUI changes in 3.9; from the first glance there
> was no going back to 3.8.
>
> Question: if I've already build my own dev environment in 7055, is
> there a
> way to back up to 7053 in that image, and update from there?  Or do
> I need
> to rebuild from scratch?
>
> Thanks - and congrats on the spiffy new version (3.9)
> Jay
>

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 5:43 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> We are happy to announce that the bugs with the source code is now
>> really fixed and covered by tests
>> (pay attention that we had to regenerate the sources again).
>>
>> Thanks marcus and adrian. We removed the 7055 from the server. And
>> there is only now 7056.
>> If you want to do the update do it from 7053. Please remove all
>> the previous 39 sources and let us know.
>>
>> Stef

Re: [ANN] 3.9 Final release (was Re: [ANN] 3.9 gamma (7056) is ready)

Damien Cassou-3
Please, someone should answer Stéphane:

--
Damien Cassou