[ANN] 64 bits support preview

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys,

Thanks for Guillermo Polito we now have 64 bits support for OSSubprocess. You can see the required changes in this PR [1]. I made a branch called `support64bits` so that you can help us test it even if CI said it was good [2]. If you do test it and come back to us with the results, please tell us which OS you used.

To install from the branch:

Metacello new
  configuration: 'OSSubprocess';
  repository: 'github://marianopeck/OSSubprocess:support64bits/repository';
version: #stable;
load.

Roadmap: Current release is v0.2.5. So I will let that release for Pharo <= 5.0. I will make a new release with the Pharo 64 bits and call it v0.3. That release should be used for Pharo 6.x. Once v0.3 is out, I will make a new release v0.4 with some changes I wanted to do since a loooong time and its a small refactor to minimize OSSubprocess dependency on OSProcesses primitives (at VM side). This is thanks to Holger Freyther and Alistair Grant [3]. As that requires a new VM, then v0.4 should be used in Pharo >= 7.0.

Re: [ANN] 64 bits support preview

CyrilFerlicot
Le 06/03/2018 à 04:19, Mariano Martinez Peck a écrit :
> Hi guys,

Hi!

> Thanks for Guillermo Polito we now have 64 bits support for
> OSSubprocess. You can see the required changes in this PR [1].

Cool :)

I made a

> branch called `support64bits` so that you can help us test it even if CI
> said it was good [2]. If you do test it and come back to us with the
> results, please tell us which OS you used.
>
> To install from the branch:
>
> Metacello new
>  configuration: 'OSSubprocess';
>  repository: 'github://marianopeck/OSSubprocess:support64bits/repository';
> version: #stable;
> load.
>

> Roadmap: Current release is v0.2.5. So I will let that release for Pharo
> <= 5.0. I will make a new release with the Pharo 64 bits and call it
> v0.3. That release should be used for Pharo 6.x. Once v0.3 is out, I
> will make a new release v0.4 with some changes I wanted to do since a
> loooong time and its a small refactor to minimize OSSubprocess
> dependency on OSProcesses primitives (at VM side). This is thanks
> to Holger Freyther and Alistair Grant [3]. As that requires a new VM,
> then v0.4 should be used in Pharo >= 7.0.

If it brings an incompatibility with older Pharo, maybe it should be a
major release instead of a minor?

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr