[ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

12

[ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Janko Mivšek
Dear Dolphiners,

I'm inviting you to accept a spring gift from a sunny side of the Alps:
a port of AIDA/Web to Dolphin Smalltalk :)

I managed to make a port and cleanup the code, so that app server starts
and a demo site (like that at http://aida.eranova.si) works with all
functionality, including Ajax demos. But with a 2 days Dolphin
experience I didn't manage to save packages back to .pac files. I hope
someone from your community will help me here. I prepared a whole image
together with original Swazoo and AIDAWeb packages and you can download
it from:

        ftp://ftp.eranova.si/aida/aida-5.0-dolphin-alpha1.zip

I propose that after a code will be properly packaged, we release a beta
version. After a bit more wide testing we can release it as a final one.

Best regards
Janko

Re: [ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Janko,

> I'm inviting you to accept a spring gift from a sunny side of the Alps:
> a port of AIDA/Web to Dolphin Smalltalk :)
>
> I managed to make a port and cleanup the code, so that app server starts
> and a demo site (like that at http://aida.eranova.si) works with all
> functionality, including Ajax demos. But with a 2 days Dolphin
> experience I didn't manage to save packages back to .pac files. I hope
> someone from your community will help me here. I prepared a whole image
> together with original Swazoo and AIDAWeb packages and you can download
> it from:

There is a problem with doing this.  Please check your email ASAP.

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: [ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Janko Mivšek
Bill,

I removed a download link until I figured out how to put that beast from
image back to .pac files and not violate any intellectual rights from
Object Arts. I didn't notice that registration keys are part of image
and not stored somewhere on Windows. I apologize to OA for that.

Janko

Bill Schwab wrote:

> Janko,
>
>> I'm inviting you to accept a spring gift from a sunny side of the
>> Alps: a port of AIDA/Web to Dolphin Smalltalk :)
>>
>> I managed to make a port and cleanup the code, so that app server
>> starts and a demo site (like that at http://aida.eranova.si) works
>> with all functionality, including Ajax demos. But with a 2 days
>> Dolphin experience I didn't manage to save packages back to .pac
>> files. I hope someone from your community will help me here. I
>> prepared a whole image together with original Swazoo and AIDAWeb
>> packages and you can download it from:
>

> There is a problem with doing this.  Please check your email ASAP.
>
> Bill

Re: [ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Janko,

> I removed a download link until I figured out how to put that beast from
> image back to .pac files and not violate any intellectual rights from
> Object Arts. I didn't notice that registration keys are part of image
> and not stored somewhere on Windows. I apologize to OA for that.

Thanks for acting quickly.  I could be missing something about OA's
image security, but I doubt it given the list of redistributable files
and the fact that I copy unlocked images to new machines all of the
time.  Please accept my apologies if this turns out to have been a false
alarm.

What trouble did you have saving packages?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Bill Schwab wrote:
  > What trouble did you have saving packages?

Obviously Dolphin doesn't handle undeclared things as VW and therefore
1:1 mapping of VW to Dolphin packages won't go. Saving of every package
reports an error: Package cannot be saved: The package will NOT load in
this form so the package has not be saved, would you like to browse
prerequeisites ..

I obviusly have a lot of "circular" references, which are nicely handled
in VW, but here, hmm, what to do?

I'll put everything in one big package and later see what to do.

Re: [ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Janko Mivšek
Dear Dolphiners,

I prepared packages of Aida/Web:

        ftp://ftp.eranova.si/aida/aida-5.0-dolphin-alpha2.zip

Installation instructions:

1.unpack .zip
2.install package Swazoo from folder Swazoo
3.install all packages from folder AIDAWeb
   (don't bother about errors in Transcript, we are still alpha :)
4. SwazooServer demoStart
5. open http://localhost:8888
6. login as admin/password

Swazoo packages are Sean Malloy port of Swazoo, included here for a
convinience.

Best regards
Janko

Janko Mivsek wrote:

> Dear Dolphiners,
>
> I'm inviting you to accept a spring gift from a sunny side of the Alps:
> a port of AIDA/Web to Dolphin Smalltalk :)
>
> I managed to make a port and cleanup the code, so that app server starts
> and a demo site (like that at http://aida.eranova.si) works with all
> functionality, including Ajax demos. But with a 2 days Dolphin
> experience I didn't manage to save packages back to .pac files. I hope
> someone from your community will help me here. I prepared a whole image
> together with original Swazoo and AIDAWeb packages and you can download
> it from:
>
>     ftp://ftp.eranova.si/aida/aida-5.0-dolphin-alpha1.zip
>
> I propose that after a code will be properly packaged, we release a beta
> version. After a bit more wide testing we can release it as a final one.
>
> Best regards
> Janko

Re: [ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

tgkuo
On Mon, 08 May 2006 11:33:32 +0200, Janko Mivsek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Dear Dolphiners,
>
>I prepared packages of Aida/Web:
>
> ftp://ftp.eranova.si/aida/aida-5.0-dolphin-alpha2.zip
>
>Installation instructions:
>
>1.unpack .zip
>2.install package Swazoo from folder Swazoo
>3.install all packages from folder AIDAWeb
>   (don't bother about errors in Transcript, we are still alpha :)
>4. SwazooServer demoStart
>5. open http://localhost:8888
>6. login as admin/password

nice work, brilliant. It runs ok at first sight, the browser showed
all the functions available on original VW port.

It's a good pleasure to have a strong web server and environment again
on Dolphin .
I'll spend time on it.

tk kuo

Re: [ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Tim M
Hi tgkuo + Janko

> nice work, brilliant. It runs ok at first sight, the browser showed
> all the functions available on original VW port.

How did you get this to work? Are you using D6?

I loaded the packages into a clean D6 image and had all kinds of problems?

1. (minor) The Swazoo package seems to be nested deeper than Dolphin expects
- at least it seems to me that the convention is that packages are in directories
at the same level as the "Object Arts" directory however the Swazoo pre-reqs
in Aida seem to have ../../Swazoo (one level of ..'s too many) - so I had
to locate the included Swazoo package on load.

2. (minor) The Swazoo package seems similar to the one someone posted in
Dec but there are differences (I diffed them using Subversion and Tortoise)
and noticed a halt left in there, some new variable called a Watchdog? Thare
are also complaints about methods that are already in the image?

When I run: SwazooServer demoStart

3. Aida references a class called Timestamp - there is already in Dolphin
a class called TimeStamp (note the uppercase S). Aida want the method #asSeconds,
its defined on the second class not the first

4. I made Timestamp subclass TimeStamp (removed inst vars) to see how far
I could get  - the next error is that the Set of users, get sent the message
#contains: - Dolphin defines #includes: (normally dolphin is pretty ansi
standard so I imagine contains: is not)?

5. I added that method, next I hit a DNU on #allComposedViewMethods where
it does ^self superclass isWebApplication  (self is a WebApplication, so
self superclass is a WebPage that doesn't implement #isWebApplication)

So I am wondering if I did something completely wrong (maybe associated with
1 and 2 above?)

Tim

Re: [ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Tim M
Hi TimM,

> Hi tgkuo + Janko
>
> 2. (minor) The Swazoo package seems similar to the one someone posted
> in Dec but there are differences

I also forgot to mention that everyone seems to prefer an older version of
Swazoo that Steve Waring did that has a nice integrated console to stop and
start sites (I believe that OA uses this version to host their site)

It seems that the newer port (yours and the one Sean Malloy did in Dec -
http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/index.html) have lots of
new classes - but I was never sure what the newer Swazoo gave you, and so
stuck to the old one. I notice that you (Janko) are a Swazoo committer so
maybe you can shed some light on this too?

This might be important as its not possible to have both version of Swazoo
in the image at the same time...

Tim

Re: [ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Janko Mivšek
Hi Tim,

I'm have exactly 4 days of Dolphin experience, so I can just repeat all
steps I do to test this port:

1.clean D6 community image in a default folder (in My Documents)
2.unpack .zip in the same folder, so that you'll have two new
subfolders: Swazoo and AIDAWeb
3. install Swazoo.pac from that new folder Swazoo, this should install
some other Swazoo packages as well
4. install all packages from folder AIDAWeb

All your other problems seems to come from fault in proper installation
of that packages.

I hope that helps a bit
Janko

macta wrote:
>> 2. (minor) The Swazoo package seems similar to the one someone posted
>> in Dec but there are differences

> I also forgot to mention that everyone seems to prefer an older version
> of Swazoo that Steve Waring did that has a nice integrated console to
> stop and start sites (I believe that OA uses this version to host their
> site)
> It seems that the newer port (yours and the one Sean Malloy did in Dec -
> http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/index.html) have lots of
> new classes - but I was never sure what the newer Swazoo gave you, and
> so stuck to the old one. I notice that you (Janko) are a Swazoo
> committer so maybe you can shed some light on this too?
>
> This might be important as its not possible to have both version of
> Swazoo in the image at the same time...
> Tim

Sean Malloy's port is the newest Swazoo 1.0 (just renamed from 0.9.101)
and is the same as VW Swazoo 1.0. It is obviuosly well ported because it
worked with Aida almost instantly (only those changes you noticed were
needed). Therefore I suggest that someone port the console to this
version of Swazoo and problem will be solved: you'll be able to run on
the same SwazooServer both static sites and also one or more Aida's ones!

Janko

Re: AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

maddyfreccero
That worked better - create a directory called Aida in the Dolphin
directory and then extract your files into that.

To be honest - my thought would be that its better if both AidaWeb and
Swazoo were in the Dolphin directory (that seems to be the way that
other tools work). E.g. I already had a Swazoo directory (the contents
being what Sean Malloy did - and it had been modified to prevent the
method overwrite warning that you get about the DateTime stuff).

It would also be good to have one master package that loads everything
- I think one of my other problems was that I missed one of the
packages, - loading AidaWeb or the test package didn't load everything
(e.g. AidaSystemChanges and Swazoo-Aida). I usually do this by just
having a package - AidaDemo with an #aidPrereq methods on things in the
other packages (I bet the others have a better reccomendation - but
thats an easy one one to do).

Finally - now it loads and I get the login screen - but when I type
admin, password I just get a blank page (I'm using firefox). I notice
the same thing when I loaded into VisualWorks as well? Note - the
online web demo seems to work fine?

Tim

Re: [ANN] AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

tgkuo
On Tue, 9 May 2006 08:51:00 +0000 (UTC), macta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Hi TimM,
>How did you get this to work? Are you using D6?

  I don't know exactly how I get it work as expected on D6.

  I met several errors, too, initially, just those odd things around
HTTPConnection, missing classVariabless, which I supposed due to
mismatch between old and new Swazoo packages. I played some tricks
using Source Tracking system to mix up the two but in vain, the errors
still showed up.

   So, I reinstalled forcely the new one from Steve's web side, i.e.
the last updated one that Sean Malloy did in Dec , put on
http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/swazoo/index.html) , put in a
new package directory, then bypass Janko's step 3 ( without installing
his Swazoo package, install directly the  Aida packages, disregard the
Transcript warnings and errors, then, type ' SwazooServer demoStart '
in a workspace, do it, then the machinery runs.

  I cann't remember exactly the detailed procedures, but you can have
a try.

Best regards,

Tk Kuo

Re: AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Tim M
I got much further - doing something similar - but I still can't get
passed the login screen - typing admin, password gives a blank white
page in Firefox. In IE I gut an Object not found exception in the
browser (does it work in IE - I recall you need to do browser detection
and have different javascript methods to invoke stuff - I'm hoping
thats all built in, or at least can be easily done).

Maybe I should try using the Sean Malloy port instead.

Or maybe its an order of loading things error?

Tim

Re: AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Janko Mivšek
Hi Tim and Tk Kuo,

I just retried again the installation and again succeed. I think you
have problems with Swazoo installation. Please install one included in
my .zip and not original one from Sean! Also be sure to install Swazoo
first and then ALL AIDAWeb packages. Package Swazoo-AIDA namely extends
Swazoo classes (loose methods).

Included Swazoo is slightly changed Sean's original and I didn't figure
out yet, how make those changes without changing original package.

Aida now works for me from both Firefox and IE, all functionality after
succesfull login.

I hope that helps.
Janko

TimM wrote:

> I got much further - doing something similar - but I still can't get
> passed the login screen - typing admin, password gives a blank white
> page in Firefox. In IE I gut an Object not found exception in the
> browser (does it work in IE - I recall you need to do browser detection
> and have different javascript methods to invoke stuff - I'm hoping
> thats all built in, or at least can be easily done).
>
> Maybe I should try using the Sean Malloy port instead.
>
> Or maybe its an order of loading things error?
>
> Tim

Re: AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Tim M
Hi Janko,

> Hi Tim and Tk Kuo,
>
> I just retried again the installation and again succeed. I think you
> have problems with Swazoo installation. Please install one included in
> my .zip and not original one from Sean! Also be sure to install Swazoo
> first and then ALL AIDAWeb packages. Package Swazoo-AIDA namely
> extends Swazoo classes (loose methods).

Actually that's what I have been doing - here's the steps I've been following:

Unzip the file contents with full paths to a directory called Aida (in the
Dolphin root directory)

in a clean image:
1) Install Swazoo-Dolphin (accept the warning about over-writing methods
- this should be fixed by the way)
2) Install Aida System Changes
3) Install Swazoo Aida

launch a browser on http://localhost:8888/  - I get the initial login screen
with the logo and everything.
Enter admin, password - click login - get a white screen

I have tried doing steps 2 and 3 in different orders and I get the same problem.
I have tried using IE instead of firefox and I get an Object required runtime
error in the browser - if I continue and login I get a page not found error

Its quite frustrating - and I don't know what I'm doing differently to you?

Tim

Re: AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Tim M
I should point out that in my steps above, loading Swazoo-Dolphin does
load all the included dolphin swazoo files. Loading Aida System Changes
and Swazoo Aida does load all 4 aida packages (I assume I don't need
the Aida-Test although loading it doesn't seem to make a difference).

I can set a breakpoint on #viewLogin in WebAdminApp and step through
some code but I'm not sure where it does after pressing the Login
button.

Tim

Re: AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Janko Mivšek
Tim, check the following Swazoo methods to see if they are correctly
installed:

1.HTTPConnection getAndDispatchMessages, does it have self halt in
exception block?

2.DolphinSwazooPlatform collection:aCollection tokensBasedOnAll: anArray

    Last two lines must be:

        oc add: (aCollection copyFrom: selfPos to: aCollection size).
        ^oc

Those are patches I made to original Swazoo. Last one is nessesary for
form posting to work at all while first one will raise an exception in
case of any error, instead of a blank web page as it shows now.

Best regards
Janko

#1 is like that
#2 had   oc add: (aCollection copyFrom: selfPos to: self size).  (e.g.
not aCollection size)

When I make the correction I now don't get a white screen - it returns
back to the login page and the transctipt says: login: Admin  at: 10.5
12:53 from: 127.0.0.1

However clicking on any of the examples (like Tabs) just gives me the
login page again.

So its much closer - but still something not quite right?

Re: AIDA/Web application server for Dolphin v5.0 alpha released

Janko Mivšek
Tim, you are definitively closer! If there is Admin instead of Guest
written in upper left corner then you are really logged in. Aida
security  don't let you access somehow any page and redirect you back to
login.

Try to initialize a whole thing again from start:

1.SwazooServer demoStop
2.inspect SwazooServer singleton and nil instvar sites
3.SwazooServer demoStart

Any better now?

Best regards
Janko