[ANN] Aida 6.2beta: Mobile, WebSocket, HTML5, JSON,...

[ANN] Aida 6.2beta: Mobile, WebSocket, HTML5, JSON,...

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

Christmas edition of Aida/Web is on the way and here is first beta, for
Squeak/Pharo and VisualWorks. Instruction how to install it are there:

        http://www.aidaweb.si/download , Beta release

What's new:

  *Mobile* devices like smartpone and tablet support, with mobile
  device detection and special mobile CSS as addition to screen CSS, so
  that you can easily adapt your existing apps to mobile simply by
  overriding the existing CSS.

  *HTML5* support: Aida switches now to HTML5 by default and HTML5
  specific features will be gradually added, WebSocket is there
  already, local storage and offline support comes next.

  *WebSocket* support for bidirectional communication between server
  and browser, as a replacement for Comet. WebSocket channel is now
  automatically open on the session with WebSocket capable browser.

  *JSON* messaging introduced to be gradually used as only message
  format in unified (Ajax or WebSocket) communication between server
  and browser

  *Widget forms" introduced, hierarchy of forms follow the hierarchy of
  standalone widgets, each widget can Ajax submit its own form together
  with subforms in subwidgets.

  *registering root domain objects* is now simplified:

        myAIDASite register: myObject onUrl: '/myobject'

Release notes with most important new features higlighted are available
at: http://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.2 .

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.2beta: Mobile, WebSocket, HTML5, JSON,...

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> Christmas edition of Aida/Web is on the way and here is first beta, for
JM> Squeak/Pharo and VisualWorks. Instruction how to install it are there:

JM> What's new:

good stuff snipped.

I'm very happy about the progress and the direction of the progress!

Thanks,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.2beta: Mobile, WebSocket, HTML5, JSON,...

Janko Mivšek
Hi Herbert

On 15. 12. 2010 13:56, Herbert König wrote:

> JM> Christmas edition of Aida/Web is on the way and here is first beta, for
> JM> Squeak/Pharo and VisualWorks. Instruction how to install it are there:
>
> JM> What's new:
>
> good stuff snipped.
>
> I'm very happy about the progress and the direction of the progress!

Nice to hear that and I hope in new Aida I covered some of your wishes
you expressed this year.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.2beta: Mobile, WebSocket, HTML5, JSON,...

Dirk Verleysen-2
Finally found some time to load Aida 6.2beta into an ObjectStudio image
and got 2 unloadable definition for SwazooWebSocket. The methods are
updateId:with: en sendCommand:

Op 15/12/2010 13:31, Janko Mivšek schreef:

> Dear Smalltalkers,
>
> Christmas edition of Aida/Web is on the way and here is first beta, for
> Squeak/Pharo and VisualWorks. Instruction how to install it are there:
>
> http://www.aidaweb.si/download , Beta release
>
> What's new:
>
>    *Mobile* devices like smartpone and tablet support, with mobile
>    device detection and special mobile CSS as addition to screen CSS, so
>    that you can easily adapt your existing apps to mobile simply by
>    overriding the existing CSS.
>
>    *HTML5* support: Aida switches now to HTML5 by default and HTML5
>    specific features will be gradually added, WebSocket is there
>    already, local storage and offline support comes next.
>
>    *WebSocket* support for bidirectional communication between server
>    and browser, as a replacement for Comet. WebSocket channel is now
>    automatically open on the session with WebSocket capable browser.
>
>    *JSON* messaging introduced to be gradually used as only message
>    format in unified (Ajax or WebSocket) communication between server
>    and browser
>
>    *Widget forms" introduced, hierarchy of forms follow the hierarchy of
>    standalone widgets, each widget can Ajax submit its own form together
>    with subforms in subwidgets.
>
>    *registering root domain objects* is now simplified:
>
> myAIDASite register: myObject onUrl: '/myobject'
>
> Release notes with most important new features higlighted are available
> at: http://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.2 .
>
> Best regards
> Janko

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.2beta: Mobile, WebSocket, HTML5, JSON,...

Janko Mivšek
Hi Dirk,

On 26. 12. 2010 12:20, Dirk Verleysen wrote:

> Finally found some time to load Aida 6.2beta into an ObjectStudio image
> and got 2 unloadable definition for SwazooWebSocket. The methods are
> updateId:with: en sendCommand:

Please load Swazoo 2.3beta1 too. I forgot to publish a VW beta of Swazoo
on Store, sorry. It is now published.

Best regards
Janko

> Op 15/12/2010 13:31, Janko Mivšek schreef:
>> Dear Smalltalkers,
>>
>> Christmas edition of Aida/Web is on the way and here is first beta, for
>> Squeak/Pharo and VisualWorks. Instruction how to install it are there:
>>
>> http://www.aidaweb.si/download , Beta release
>>
>> What's new:
>>
>>    *Mobile* devices like smartpone and tablet support, with mobile
>>    device detection and special mobile CSS as addition to screen CSS, so
>>    that you can easily adapt your existing apps to mobile simply by
>>    overriding the existing CSS.
>>
>>    *HTML5* support: Aida switches now to HTML5 by default and HTML5
>>    specific features will be gradually added, WebSocket is there
>>    already, local storage and offline support comes next.
>>
>>    *WebSocket* support for bidirectional communication between server
>>    and browser, as a replacement for Comet. WebSocket channel is now
>>    automatically open on the session with WebSocket capable browser.
>>
>>    *JSON* messaging introduced to be gradually used as only message
>>    format in unified (Ajax or WebSocket) communication between server
>>    and browser
>>
>>    *Widget forms" introduced, hierarchy of forms follow the hierarchy of
>>    standalone widgets, each widget can Ajax submit its own form together
>>    with subforms in subwidgets.
>>
>>    *registering root domain objects* is now simplified:
>>
>> myAIDASite register: myObject onUrl: '/myobject'
>>
>> Release notes with most important new features higlighted are available
>> at: http://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.2 .
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.2beta: Mobile, WebSocket, HTML5, JSON,...

Dirk Verleysen-2
Janko,

Should there be a String>>count: aBlock method in the SwazooWebSocket
package ? I get an error on key1 count: [ :each | each = $ ] and after
implementing my own version of count: on String all seemed to be working.

Dirk

Op 26/12/2010 16:20, Janko Mivšek schreef:

> Hi Dirk,
>

> On 26. 12. 2010 12:20, Dirk Verleysen wrote:
>
>> Finally found some time to load Aida 6.2beta into an ObjectStudio image
>> and got 2 unloadable definition for SwazooWebSocket. The methods are
>> updateId:with: en sendCommand:
> Please load Swazoo 2.3beta1 too. I forgot to publish a VW beta of Swazoo
> on Store, sorry. It is now published.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
>> Op 15/12/2010 13:31, Janko Mivšek schreef:
>>> Dear Smalltalkers,
>>>
>>> Christmas edition of Aida/Web is on the way and here is first beta, for
>>> Squeak/Pharo and VisualWorks. Instruction how to install it are there:
>>>
>>> http://www.aidaweb.si/download , Beta release
>>>
>>> What's new:
>>>
>>>     *Mobile* devices like smartpone and tablet support, with mobile
>>>     device detection and special mobile CSS as addition to screen CSS, so
>>>     that you can easily adapt your existing apps to mobile simply by
>>>     overriding the existing CSS.
>>>
>>>     *HTML5* support: Aida switches now to HTML5 by default and HTML5
>>>     specific features will be gradually added, WebSocket is there
>>>     already, local storage and offline support comes next.
>>>
>>>     *WebSocket* support for bidirectional communication between server
>>>     and browser, as a replacement for Comet. WebSocket channel is now
>>>     automatically open on the session with WebSocket capable browser.
>>>
>>>     *JSON* messaging introduced to be gradually used as only message
>>>     format in unified (Ajax or WebSocket) communication between server
>>>     and browser
>>>
>>>     *Widget forms" introduced, hierarchy of forms follow the hierarchy of
>>>     standalone widgets, each widget can Ajax submit its own form together
>>>     with subforms in subwidgets.
>>>
>>>     *registering root domain objects* is now simplified:
>>>
>>> myAIDASite register: myObject onUrl: '/myobject'
>>>
>>> Release notes with most important new features higlighted are available
>>> at: http://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.2 .
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Janko

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.2beta: Mobile, WebSocket, HTML5, JSON,...

Janko Mivšek
Hi Dirk,

Ops, String>>count: comes actually from Squeak package in VisualWorks,
which is not loaded by default. Hmm, shall I add that method with
exactly the same code to Swazoo-Extensions too?

count: aBlock
  | count |
  count := 0.
  self do: [:each | (aBlock value: each) ifTrue: [count := count + 1]].
  ^count

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.2beta: Mobile, WebSocket, HTML5, JSON,...

Dirk Verleysen-2
I think that would be the best solution for now. I might propose this
count: to the team cause it has some functionalities occurrencesOf:
doesn't have.