[ANN] Aida 6.5 Summer released: more Mobile, more Cloud, more REST, ...

[ANN] Aida 6.5 Summer released: more Mobile, more Cloud, more REST, ...

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

Summer Edition of Aida/Web framework and application server
(http://www.aidaweb.si) is here with bunch of new features:

   *Mobile* - the separate MobileApp classes now allow the mobile
version of your existing web apps to be developed and completely
tailored to mobile devices. Separate AidaMobile add-on based on jQuery
Mobile allows developing of professional and nice looking mobile apps,
rivaling the native ones. TwitterMobileApp demo is included.

   *Cloud* based on Cloudfork. Thanks to financial support by Citilab
Barcelona we have now an OpenID authentication and OAuth authorization
support in Aida. You can see OpenID in action live on our GSoC site
http://gsoc12.esug.org where you can register and one-click login using
Google as OpenID provider. No username/password needed. Future planes
includes Aida as OpenID provider and OAuth authorization server too.

   *REST* - Aida is RESTfull from the start but serving other than HTML
like JSON is now easier than ever. Goal for Aida is to seamlessly extend
the existing web apps to become REST API providers as well.

   *MethodLibrary* for importing ever more complex libraries directly
from internet and together with directory hierarchy into Smalltalk
methods and manage them with Smalltalk version control systems. jQuery,
Twitter Bootstrap, Amber included. You can now open Amber simply as:
http://localhost:8888/amber/index.html

More in Release notes: http://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.3

On Pharo it is really simple to load, just evaluate this script:

  Gofer new
     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
     package: 'ConfigurationOfAida';
     load.

  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfAida) load.

Then simply open http://www.aidaweb.si:8888 .

There is also a OneClick image to get to Aida even faster:
htpp://www.aidaweb.si/download .

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

Dne 28. 08. 2012 15:03, piše Nicholas Moore:

> Great news Janko, I'm looking forward to discovering all the new features.

Thanks Nicholas. And I'm hardly waiting for your comments and further ideas.

Can someone better test  Squeak and Pharo version as well? I'm just
finishing release notes and migration instructions...

Janko

> On 27/08/12 20:12, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>> Dear Smalltalkers,
>>
>> Summer Edition of Aida/Web framework and application server
>> (http://www.aidaweb.si) is here with bunch of new features:
>>
>>    *Mobile* - the separate MobileApp classes now allow the mobile
>> version of your existing web apps to be developed and completely
>> tailored to mobile devices. Separate AidaMobile add-on based on jQuery
>> Mobile allows developing of professional and nice looking mobile apps,
>> rivaling the native ones. TwitterMobileApp demo is included.
>>
>>    *Cloud* based on Cloudfork. Thanks to financial support by Citilab
>> Barcelona we have now an OpenID authentication and OAuth authorization
>> support in Aida. You can see OpenID in action live on our GSoC site
>> http://gsoc12.esug.org where you can register and one-click login using
>> Google as OpenID provider. No username/password needed. Future planes
>> includes Aida as OpenID provider and OAuth authorization server too.
>>
>>    *REST* - Aida is RESTfull from the start but serving other than HTML
>> like JSON is now easier than ever. Goal for Aida is to seamlessly extend
>> the existing web apps to become REST API providers as well.
>>
>>    *MethodLibrary* for importing ever more complex libraries directly
>> from internet and together with directory hierarchy into Smalltalk
>> methods and manage them with Smalltalk version control systems. jQuery,
>> Twitter Bootstrap, Amber included. You can now open Amber simply as:
>> http://localhost:8888/amber/index.html
>>
>> More in Release notes: http://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.3
>>
>> On Pharo it is really simple to load, just evaluate this script:
>>
>>   Gofer new
>>      squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>      package: 'ConfigurationOfAida';
>>      load.
>>
>>   (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfAida) load.
>>
>> Then simply open http://www.aidaweb.si:8888 .
>>
>> There is also a OneClick image to get to Aida even faster:
>> htpp://www.aidaweb.si/download .
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko
>>

> --
>
> *Nicholas Moore*

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.5 Summer released: more Mobile, more Cloud, more REST, ...

Rob Rothwell
Hi everyone,

The only thing I would change about the instructions so far is to point out that after loading Aida, you want to open up

http://localhost:8888, and not

http://www.aidaweb.si:8888

Take care,

Rob

On Aug 28, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Gofer new
>>>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfAida';
>>>     load.
>>>
>>>  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfAida) load.
>>>
>>> Then simply open http://www.aidaweb.si:8888 .

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.5 Summer released: more Mobile, more Cloud, more REST, ...

Janko Mivšek
Hi Bob, long time no see :)

Ups, this Url is wrong but also gsoc12.esug.org, it should be
http://gsoc2012.esug.org .

Thanks!
Janko

Dne 28. 08. 2012 15:34, piše Robert Rothwell:

> Hi everyone,
>
> The only thing I would change about the instructions so far is to point out that after loading Aida, you want to open up
>
> http://localhost:8888, and not
>
> http://www.aidaweb.si:8888
>
> Take care,
>
> Rob

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.5 Summer released: more Mobile, more Cloud, more REST, ...

Martin Polák
Hi there,

great to see new version approaching. Sadly I have no time currently to test it out :(

Cheers
Martin

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.5 Summer released: more Mobile, more Cloud, more REST, ...

marten
I find it pretty difficult to get more informations about all these new features. Well, you make it and therefore you know all of that - but for newcomers this seems to be difficult.

Can you tell me, what the Mobile support actually is. I've read, that it is based on JQueryMobile, but I do not find the stuff in your one-click version ...

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.5 Summer released: more Mobile, more Cloud, more REST, ...

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> Summer Edition of Aida/Web framework and application server
JM> (http://www.aidaweb.si) is here with bunch of new features:

I cannot download Aida6.5-final.1.mcz from the website getting
/mc/mivsek/Aida/Aida6.5-final.1.mcz not found

Can you post a link or correct it on your site?

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

[bugs]Re: [ANN] Aida 6.5 Summer released: more Mobile, more Cloud, more REST, ...

Herbert König
Hi,

> I cannot download Aida6.5-final.1.mcz from the website getting
> /mc/mivsek/Aida/Aida6.5-final.1.mcz not found

this was in the context to use the static server to serve robots.txt.

So i downloaded the pharo one click, copied a robots.txt into the folder
with the image and got a debugger when trying to open
localhost:8888/robots.txt from a browser.

 From earlier experiments with an older Aida (6.2) I know that Aida
expects string to understand asFilename. String only understands
asFileName (N not n) so I implemented String>>asFilename like
^SpFilename name: self (haven't kept it) because further down a
SpFilename is expected. This is still the case in 6.5

This got me a bit further but still doesn't solve the problem. On 6.2
caching didn't work (FileProxy>>isToBeCached was not implemented). I'll
try to backport this.

The next bug in 6.5 is in SpEnvironment class>>onUnix by doubling
platformName. See pharo.png

Now I get no more debugger but the file still isn't served.
My robots.txt disallows all for any crawler but a recursive wget still
gets the whole Aidademo site.

Cheers

Herbert

pharo.png (224K) Download Attachment