[ANN] Aida 6.6 Web Framework Released

Janko Mivšek
Dear Squeakers,

This time a new version is released first on Squeak, because I just
finished few patches for WebSockets to work correctly on Squeak.
Thoroughly tested therefore Aida is now ready for you to test it by
yourself. You are therefore invited to help catching any remaining
problems by downloading and running it by following script:

  i := Installer monticello http: 'http://smalltalkhub.com'.
  i    project: 'mc/Sport/Sport/main';
       install: 'Sport-2.031'.
  i    project: 'mc/Swazoo/Swazoo/main';
       install: 'Swazoo-2.3final.2'.
  i    project: 'mc/Aida/Aida/main';
       install: 'Aida6.6-final.2'.

Then open http://localhost:8888 in your recent web browser and try demos
like realtime one.

A famous counter is used in this realtime example to show all the
Smalltalk elegance for writing web apps with most bleeding edge web
technology as realtime (in our case WebSocket based) technology is.
Realtime in the sense that values on the webpage are updated in
immediately after this value changed. Changed from some outside reason
(like temperature on Arctic changed) or by action from some other user,
as above mentioned example shows. You can simulate that by open it in
two different browsers, changing a count in one will immediately
reflects in other browser. To test that on "global" level try our online
realtime example: http://demo.aidaweb.si/demos?view=realtime

More about Aida: http://www.aidaweb.si
More about news in that release in:
       http://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.6

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.6 Web Framework Released

David T. Lewis
Cool!

:-)

Dave

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 09:08:31PM +0200, Janko Miv??ek wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> This time a new version is released first on Squeak, because I just
> finished few patches for WebSockets to work correctly on Squeak.
> Thoroughly tested therefore Aida is now ready for you to test it by
> yourself. You are therefore invited to help catching any remaining
> problems by downloading and running it by following script:
>
>   i := Installer monticello http: 'http://smalltalkhub.com'.
>   i    project: 'mc/Sport/Sport/main';
>        install: 'Sport-2.031'.
>   i    project: 'mc/Swazoo/Swazoo/main';
>        install: 'Swazoo-2.3final.2'.
>   i    project: 'mc/Aida/Aida/main';
>        install: 'Aida6.6-final.2'.
>
> Then open http://localhost:8888 in your recent web browser and try demos
> like realtime one.
>
> A famous counter is used in this realtime example to show all the
> Smalltalk elegance for writing web apps with most bleeding edge web
> technology as realtime (in our case WebSocket based) technology is.
> Realtime in the sense that values on the webpage are updated in
> immediately after this value changed. Changed from some outside reason
> (like temperature on Arctic changed) or by action from some other user,
> as above mentioned example shows. You can simulate that by open it in
> two different browsers, changing a count in one will immediately
> reflects in other browser. To test that on "global" level try our online
> realtime example: http://demo.aidaweb.si/demos?view=realtime
>
> More about Aida: http://www.aidaweb.si
> More about news in that release in:
>        http://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.6
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> --
> Janko Miv??ek
> Aida/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.6 Web Framework Released

garduino
Congrats!

Some idea about the effort to have this version also ready for Cuis?

2013/8/29 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
[...]

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.6 Web Framework Released

Chris Muller-3
I'd like to document this installation either in SM or the new
'external-packages' category of Installer.

I'm trying to figure out whether this is a fixed-configuration or a
head script.  Looks like fixed-config.

But I cannot seem to find any projects on SmalltalkHub.  When I click
on 'Explore' it gives me a list of "Recently Registered Users" and
"Recently Created Projects".  No help there.

When I click on 'Home' I simply get my own "Recent Activty",
"Projects" and "Events".

Sorry if I'm being stupid -- I guess I'm just used to SqueakSource..
Does SmalltalkHub have a way to look at projects and their versions
thru its web interface?

cbc

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.6 Web Framework Released

cbc
On SmalltalkHub, you need to search for the project.  you will almost always get it wrong the first time, since you need to know what project/package/user that project is under.  If you put in Aida in the input field next to explore at the top of the home page, it will tell you it doesn't exist, but you should use "Aida/Aida" instead (as a bubble hint).  Once you have it in, press enter a couple of times until it navigates off to the right location.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to just browse projects.  Once you've search/found one, though, most of what you have in SqueakSource is present there, though.
-Chris

Dne 30. 08. 2013 14:30, piše Germán Arduino:
> Congrats!

Thanks.

> Some idea about the effort to have this version also ready for Cuis?

I spend few hours making a diff on VW then manually load every changed
method to Squeak/Pharo. Manually to avoid overriding methods which are
dialect specific. Those methods need to be examined and adopted for a
target dialect.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.6 Web Framework Released

timrowledge

On 30-08-2013, at 9:04 AM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On SmalltalkHub, you need to search for the project.  you will almost always get it wrong the first time, since you need to know what project/package/user that project is under.

Wow, that's a real barrier to wider use. Search is important to knowledgable users but browsing is crucial to getting people to even bother to search. I hope it can be improved soon!

tim
Money can't buy love. But it CAN rent a very close imitation.

Re: [ANN] Aida 6.6 Web Framework Released

garduino
Without trying to generate a war of ideas, I think that some solutions get imposed "de facto" by it's prevalence in the market, and in this case the solution is GitHub.

But it's just an opinion...