[ANN] Aida/Web 6.0 second beta is out!

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

That time with a considerable more fresh meat and on both Squeak+friends
and VisualWorks, a second beta of Aida/Web 6.0 web framework and
application server is released.

To download it visit our renewed website http://www.aidaweb.si

With that beta we also changed the direction: now the 6.0 won't be just
a companion of Scribo CMS but a standalone release with support of
tree-like control flow, so that this release will really deserve a major
number jump from 5.6 to 6.0.

Here are just 3 most important new features in that beta:

  1.Introduction of web execution contexts as a step towards tree-like
    control flow. These contexts give a scope to the "execution" of web
    request and are the precondition for controlling this flow of
    execution.

  2.Translation support for text on the web apps, to allow the
    multilingual text on the pages, besides multilingual content,

  3.Caching (memcached like) to improve performance of serving the
    content, which otherwise doesn't change frequently.

But much more in release notes: http://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.0.html

Best regards
Janko Mivšek

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web 6.0 second beta is out!

Stefan Schmiedl
Hi Janko,

I just spent a few minutes playing around with the new beta
in a VW (prerelease) and found a problem while trying to
grant access rights to a newly created user.

And right now I noticed something else...

Add a new user, go to the users page and click on the
link for the new user. The url is

        http://localhost:8888/user/.html

which will be fun to deal with if I add a second user ...

Now on the user page, I click on "Access rights" at the bottom
of the page and then click on item 5 of the application list,
WebDemoControlFlowApp

The yes/no links for "all views" and "all encrypted" work as expected,
however, when I try to toggle the setting for "confirmation" (first row),
the new state ends up with "main" (second row). Trying to toggle the
first row again, does not change, so I think that it is actually the wrong
property being updated here.

Trying to click on"yes" for "all encrypted", I end up with a MNU for
AIDASite>>sslPort.

Regards,
s.

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web 6.0 second beta is out!

Nicholas Moore
Janko,
I have loaded 6.0 beta 2 and have the following discoveries:

1)    each of my sites now takes me to the admin login page.
2)    I had changed 'cookieName' on my sites - this led to a problem where I got a blank page with "
request for unknown or nonexistent context! " Either removing my cookieName or reloading my original extensions both worked. Presumably related to setting a context for the request.
3)     various references to 'self app' needed to be changed to 'self site style' -  you had warned about that.

There are some css type things to tidy up but otherwise so far so good.  :-)

Nicholas

Janko Mivšek wrote:
[...]

NJM TSR-i

Nicholas J Moore
Limoges
France

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web 6.0 second beta is out!

Nicholas Moore
There seems to be a stricter requirement for css. For instance I had previously defined a border as '550' whereas now I must use '550px', similarly I had a colour defined  without using the '#' prefix. Such examples worked okay previously but failed with Beta 2.

Security Manager has been refactored - leading to some problems with my extensions (and perhaps explaining Stefan'c comment.

The WebGrid modifications no longer work. I have not had time to explore yet, but I suspect it might be because of the use of context and block passing - we will see.

Nicholas

Janko Mivšek wrote:
[...]

Herbert König
Hi Nicholas,

NM> The WebGrid modifications no longer work. I have not had time
NM> toexplore yet, but I suspect it might be because of the use of
NM> contextand block passing - we will see.

I was too busy to work on it (and will be tomorrow) so earliest
tomorrow evening on the train I can work on it. I've done the analysis
but I believe I got a defective installation so it's not working right
now.

At least at the weekend I will give it a second try. It was obvious
why it couldn't work but the modifications where few and
straightforward.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web 6.0 second beta is out!

Nicholas Moore
My WebGrid application works now, with the following modifications to the changes proposed by Alex and Herbert:

WebApplication >>

respondToAjaxRequest: aRequest
    | oldElement e ajaxForm|
    ajaxForm := aRequest context form. ....

ajaxDoBlock: ajaxForm
    block := (ajaxForm context elementId: elementId)
                otherAt: blockName
                ifAbsent: [^self]. ...

WebElement >>
    viewParm := 'view=', ajaxForm view asString.
    versionParm := 'version=0'. ....

This last change was prompted because with "version = '' ", the javascript contained a double '&&' and the filter did not work. I do not have versioned pages so am not able to test whether there are any further ramifications for this change.

Nicholas

� wrote:
Hi Nicholas,

NM> The WebGrid modifications no longer work. I have not had time
NM> toexplore yet, but I suspect it might be because of the use of
NM> contextand block passing - we will see.

I was too busy to work on it (and will be tomorrow) so earliest
tomorrow evening on the train I can work on it. I've done the analysis
but I believe I got a defective installation so it's not working right
now.

At least at the weekend I will give it a second try. It was obvious
why it couldn't work but the modifications where few and
straightforward.

Cheers,

Herbert                            [hidden email]

NJM TSR-i

Nicholas J Moore
Limoges
France

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web 6.0 second beta is out!

Herbert König
Hi Aiders,

HK> At least at the weekend I will give it a second try. It was obvious
HK> why it couldn't work but the modifications where few and
HK> straightforward.

ok I managed to have my app running on 6.0 beta2. Migration was not as
straightforward as just installing the new Aida, but maybe that was
me.

For Squeak I attach the changed methods as fileouts, for VW copy them
from the end of this mail.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

WebApplication category private-ajax

ajaxDoBlock: aRequest
        | elementId blockName block |
        elementId := self session lastRequest ajaxParameter: 'blockElementId'.
        blockName := self session lastRequest ajaxParameter: 'blockName'.
        block := (aRequest context elementId: elementId) otherAt: blockName
                                ifAbsent: [^self].
        block value

WebApplication category private-ajax

respondToAjaxRequest: aRequest
        | oldElement e |
        oldElement := aRequest context elementId: aRequest ajaxElementId.
        aRequest isAjaxInPlaceEditingRequest ifTrue: [^self respondToAjaxInPlaceEditing: aRequest].
        aRequest isAjaxPostWithInput ifTrue: [aRequest context form ajaxAcceptFormInputFrom: aRequest].
        aRequest isAjaxAutocompleteRequest ifTrue: [^self respondToAjaxAutocomplete: aRequest].
        aRequest  isAjaxDoBlock ifTrue: [self ajaxDoBlock: aRequest].
        e := self ajaxUpdateOfOld: oldElement from: aRequest. "update (recreate or refresh) that element"
        e adaptFormElements.
        aRequest context form registerFormElementsIn: e.
        e prepareToHTMLPrintOn: self session. "to prepare again"
        ^e elements "because you need to send inner html of element only, not its tags"

WebElement category private-Ajax

dependentInformation: anElementOrIdCollection to: aStream isFirst: isFirst
        | url head tail headId parm |
        anElementOrIdCollection ifNil: [^''].
        head := anElementOrIdCollection first.
        tail := anElementOrIdCollection copyFrom: 2
                                to: anElementOrIdCollection size.
        url := self ajaxCallUrl.
        headId := head isSymbol
                                ifTrue: [head]
                                ifFalse:
                                        [head registerId.
                                        head id].
        parm := self ajaxCallUrlParametersFor: head.
        isFirst
                ifTrue:
                        [self registerId.
                        parm := parm , '&blockElementId=' , self id
                                                , '&blockName=onClickBlock'].
        aStream
                nextPutAll: 'new Ajax.Updater(''';
                nextPutAll: headId asString;
                nextPutAll: ''', ''';
                nextPutAll: url;
                nextPutAll: ''', {method: ''post'', postBody: ''';
                nextPutAll: parm;
                nextPut: $';
                nextPutAll: ', onComplete: function() {'.
        tail isEmpty
                ifTrue: [aStream nextPutAll: ' inCall = false; ']
                ifFalse:
                        [self
                                dependentInformation: tail
                                to: aStream
                                isFirst: false].
        aStream
                nextPutAll: '; }';
                nextPutAll: ', evalScripts: true});'

WebElement category events-ajax

onClickDo: aBlock andUpdate: anElementOrId
        | idSymbol url parms |
        idSymbol := anElementOrId isSymbol
                                ifTrue: [anElementOrId]
                                ifFalse:
                                        [anElementOrId registerId.
                                        anElementOrId id].
        url := self ajaxCallUrl.
        parms := self ajaxCallUrlParametersFor: anElementOrId.
        self otherAt: #onClickBlock put: aBlock.
        self registerId.
        parms := parms , '&blockElementId=' , self id
                                , '&blockName=onClickBlock'.
        self
                onClick: 'new Ajax.Updater(''' , idSymbol asString , ''', ''' , url
                                , ''', {method: ''post'', postBody: ''' , parms
                                , ''', evalScripts: true})'

WebElement category events-ajax

onClickDo: aBlock andUpdateMany: anElementOrIdCollection
        | stream |
        stream := String new writeStream.
        self
                dependentInformation: anElementOrIdCollection
                to: stream
                isFirst: true.
        self
                registerId;
                otherAt: #onClickBlock put: aBlock;
                onClick: 'if (!inCall) {inCall = true;' , stream contents , '}'

WebPage category initialize-release

initPageHeaderLinks
        self initHeaders.
        self app isNil ifTrue: [^nil].
        self addMetaContentType: 'text/html; charset=UTF-8'.
        self addLinkToScreenStyleSheet: self site style screenCssResource.
        self addLinkToPrintStyleSheet: self site style printCssResource.
        self addLinkToDefaultFavicon. "that from WebStyle favicon in imgs"
        self addLinkToJavascript: self site style javascriptResource.
        self addJavascript: 'var inCall = false;'.
        self addGlobalKeywords. "if any"

WebPage-initPageHeaderLinks.st (872 bytes) Download Attachment
WebApplication-ajaxDoBlock.st (638 bytes) Download Attachment
WebApplication-respondToAjaxRequest.st (1K) Download Attachment
WebElement-dependentInformationtoisFirst.st (1K) Download Attachment
WebElement-onClickDoandUpdate.st (1K) Download Attachment
WebElement-onClickDoandUpdateMany.st (654 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Aida/Web 6.0 second beta is out!

Herbert König
Hello Janko,

JM> That time with a considerable more fresh meat and on both Squeak+friends
JM> and VisualWorks, a second beta of Aida/Web 6.0 web framework and
JM> application server is released.

only thing regarding my app is, that a selected Tab in ViewTabs is not
highlighted any more.

I will look into it maybe tonight.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Aida/Web 6.0 second beta is out!

Herbert König
Hi ,

HK> only thing regarding my app is, that a selected Tab in ViewTabs is not
HK> highlighted any more.

HK> I will look into it maybe tonight.

in ViewTabs>>prepareTabsList the original ifTrue: is commented out and
replaced with a link like in the not selected case.

I'm only guessing here: the css of a link somehow supersedes the
tab1selected css, as that's what can be seen in Firebug. The purpose
might have been to refresh the selected tab when it's clicked on?

Anyway as this also affects WebDemoApp>>gridTabsElement I replaced it
with the old line which remedies both.

Seriously: should we have a bugtracker?