[ANN] Aida/Web v6.8 released

Janko Mivšek
Dear Squeakers,

Aida got recently a development push and together with improvements over
several years it is now a time for a new release.

Main effort was put on realtime and Single-Page Applications (SPA) to be
prepared for a forthcoming decade of web development. A dependency
mechanism was introduced for domain objects to announce its changes
easily. Web apps can subscribe to changes and update elements of a web
page accordingly.

Multitab support is another improvement to mention, also many minor ones
and patches, more in https://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.8

To install on Squeak (tested on latest 5.3 64bit):

i := Installer monticello http: 'http://squeaksource.com'.
i  project: 'SPort';
    install: 'Sport-2.031'.
i  project: 'Swazoo';
    install: 'Swazoo-2.4final.2'.
i  project: 'Aida';
    install: 'Aida-6.8final.2'.

.. then open http://localhost:8888 .

Aida/Web is a Smalltalk web framework for building dynamic web
applications the Smalltalk way. From classical to single-page web apps,
on high-level so that building web apps becomes a joy, not a hassle!
https://www.aidaweb.si

Best regards
Janko

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web v6.8 released

Edgar De Cleene
Janko , is a very good news.
I give a try to it.
Have the server support for rendering .wasm files ?
And suppose https://www.aidaweb.si

Best is build with Aida ..

Edgar

On 5/24/20, 3:54 PM, "Janko Mivšek" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,

Aida got recently a development push and together with
> improvements over
several years it is now a time for a new release.

Main
> effort was put on realtime and Single-Page Applications (SPA) to be
prepared
> for a forthcoming decade of web development. A dependency
mechanism was
> introduced for domain objects to announce its changes
easily. Web apps can
> subscribe to changes and update elements of a web
page accordingly.

Multitab
> support is another improvement to mention, also many minor ones
and patches,
> more in https://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.8

To install on Squeak (tested
> on latest 5.3 64bit):

i := Installer monticello http:
> 'http://squeaksource.com'.
i  project: 'SPort';
    install: 'Sport-2.031'.
> project: 'Swazoo';
    install: 'Swazoo-2.4final.2'.
i  project: 'Aida';

> install: 'Aida-6.8final.2'.

.. then open http://localhost:8888 .

Aida/Web is
> a Smalltalk web framework for building dynamic web
applications the Smalltalk
> way. From classical to single-page web apps,
on high-level so that building
> web apps becomes a joy, not a hassle!
https://www.aidaweb.si

Best
> regards
Janko

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web v6.8 released

Janko Mivšek
Edgar J. De Cleene je 25. 05. 20 ob 10:18 napisal:
> Janko , is a very good news.
> I give a try to it.
> Have the server support for rendering .wasm files ?

No. Aida supports a thick stateful server-centered SPA model (see
Wikipedia [1]) which happens to be more than fast enough to achieve
interaction responses bellow 100ms and therefore unnoticeable to human eye.

Once I flirted with idea to transpile to JS as Amber, SqueakJS and
similar do, but I found no reason for such an effort, well, maybe for
writing web games in the future :)

But I someone is interested, he can make such an add-on to Aida ...

> And suppose https://www.aidaweb.si
>
> Best is build with Aida ..

:) Thanks for the nice words Edgar.

Janko

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-page_application

> Edgar
>

> On 5/24/20, 3:54 PM, "Janko Mivšek" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Squeakers,
>
> Aida got recently a development push and together with
>> improvements over
> several years it is now a time for a new release.
>
> Main
>> effort was put on realtime and Single-Page Applications (SPA) to be
> prepared
>> for a forthcoming decade of web development. A dependency
> mechanism was
>> introduced for domain objects to announce its changes
> easily. Web apps can
>> subscribe to changes and update elements of a web
> page accordingly.
>
> Multitab
>> support is another improvement to mention, also many minor ones
> and patches,
>> more in https://www.aidaweb.si/release-notes-6.8
>
> To install on Squeak (tested
>> on latest 5.3 64bit):
>
> i := Installer monticello http:
>> 'http://squeaksource.com'.
> i  project: 'SPort';
>      install: 'Sport-2.031'.
>> project: 'Swazoo';
>      install: 'Swazoo-2.4final.2'.
> i  project: 'Aida';
>
>> install: 'Aida-6.8final.2'.
>
> .. then open http://localhost:8888 .
>
> Aida/Web is
>> a Smalltalk web framework for building dynamic web
> applications the Smalltalk
>> way. From classical to single-page web apps,
> on high-level so that building
>> web apps becomes a joy, not a hassle!
> https://www.aidaweb.si
>
> Best
>> regards
> Janko

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web v6.8 released

Edgar De Cleene
Bad news.
The AllinOne you have for download do not work on Mac Os Catalina,
Seems is a 32bit app.
I try to build from fresh 6.0 as I think we move soon to it.
Also in your site found the  link for Scribo CMS repository is broken.
Could you send a valid link for try it too ?

Thanks in advance.

Edgar

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web v6.8 released

Janko Mivšek
Edgar J. De Cleene je 25. 05. 20 ob 10:49 napisal:
> Bad news.
> The AllinOne you have for download do not work on Mac Os Catalina,
> Seems is a 32bit app.

Don't download that all-in-one yet, it is for older Aida.

Just load in a fresh image, being 32 or 64bit, with a script provided.

> I try to build from fresh 6.0 as I think we move soon to it.
> Also in your site found the  link for Scribo CMS repository is broken.
> Could you send a valid link for try it too ?

Scribo port is unmaintained, sorry. Let me edit that page or remove
alltogether.

JAnko

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Edgar

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web v6.8 released

Edgar De Cleene

On 25 May 2020, at 06:06, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

Don't download that all-in-one yet, it is for older Aida.

Works well on older Mac running El Capitan

Just load in a fresh image, being 32 or 64bit, with a script provided.

Just downloading today 6.0 build, I try it

And thanks for doing Aida

Edgar

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web v6.8 released

David T. Lewis
On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 07:12:57AM -0300, Edgar De Cleene wrote:

> > On 25 May 2020, at 06:06, Janko Miv??ek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Don't download that all-in-one yet, it is for older Aida.
>
> Works well on older Mac running El Capitan
>
> > Just load in a fresh image, being 32 or 64bit, with a script provided.
>
> Just downloading today 6.0 build, I try it
>
> And thanks for doing Aida
>
> Edgar

I loaded the new version in a fully updated Squeak 5.3 64-bit image. I
used the script that Janko provided in his email, and it loaded easily
with no problems at all. The server was immediately accessible on
http://localhost:8888. There are plenty of links to examples and documentation
from that page, so you can explore quite a bit directly from your browser.

I am not an expert on Aida-Web, but the new version is easy to install
on the latest Squeak, so I would encourage people to give it a try.

Thanks Janko!

Dave

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web v6.8 released

Chris Muller-3
The list of apps safely availabe in 5.3 is still a short list of diamonds which, it appears, Aida's alphabetical position could justly top the list!  Would you mind documenting that install script as an new entry for 5.3?

temp.png

I myself will be quite interested in your client-side implementation of the new event subscription mechanism.  As an API server, the GraphQL spec defines a subscription service, too, which I've just implemented in the engine.  When a smalltalk object signals #changed, updates are pushed to subscribed clients, asyncronously, as it should be.  :)

Congratulations.

  - Chris

[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Janko,

Sorry for being a bit offtopic, but I am so glad to see you back in the Smalltalk community. It's long time I didn't hear from you. Hope are doing well.

Best,

--
Mariano Martinez Peck

Re: [ANN] Aida/Web v6.8 released

Janko Mivšek
Hi Mariano,

Mariano Martinez Peck je 29. 05. 20 ob 21:23 napisal:

> Sorry for being a bit offtopic, but I am so glad to see you back in the
> Smalltalk community. It's long time I didn't hear from you. Hope are
> doing well.

Thanks a lot Mariano, and to continue offtopic a bit more: I'm glad to
see you refreshing VA Smalltalk at Instantiations :) As I see, successfully!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko