[ANN] Algernon now available in Pharo

EstebanLM
Hi,
I uploaded a new version of Algernon, now working with Pharo.
The changes I introduced were:
-changed the updating system: now it is automatic, but just when
Algernon is shown (this will make a little bit slower the showing of
Algernon, but preserves you from need to press cmd+r to refresh the
system -who after all, everybody I know does every time-).
-using #beginsWith: instead deprecated #startsWith:
-using #fileOutCategory: instead non-existing #fileOutCategory:asHtml:

You will need latest changes of Pharo (Stef fix to TextMorph), and
execute this script to have Algernon on your system:

ScriptLoader new installingUniverse. "In case you don't have already
Universes installed"
Installer universe
        addPackage: 'Algernon';
        answer: '*' with: false;
        install.
Installer ss project: 'Algernon'; install: 'Algernon'.
Installer wiresong project: 'ob'; install: 'OB-Algernon'.
Algernon open.

Cheers,
Esteban

Re: [ANN] Algernon now available in Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more excuses to use Squeak hahaha

I love Algernon. My vote:

9999 x 10^ 9999 to be in Pharo

Please, give a try. AND read the README. We are not use to do that, but it is very useful!!!

Best,

Mariano

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Damien Cassou
2009/7/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> 9999 x 10^ 9999 to be in Pharo

Could other people give their opinion too?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/7/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> 9999 x 10^ 9999 to be in Pharo

Could other people give their opinion too?

Yes please. Give it a try. It very simple to install and very very very useful.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] Algernon now available in Pharo

Adrian Lienhard
Algernon looks promising.

Here some feedback
- Category actions are only fileOut and printOut, which I never use,
so all those category entries are useless to me
- "Press right arrow to drill into a class or category" does not work
(right arrow makes the list go away but nothing else is shown)
- how do I search for a method? Entering a selector does not show any
result.
- is there a way to search for senders, implementors, and class
references?
- I would show the result of expressions evaluated with = not in the
transcript but in the Algernon panel (often I don't have a transcript
open and then I can just as easily open a workspace doing the same
there). A history of previous expressions could be helpful too.

HTH,
Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 20:59 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
>> 2009/7/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>> 9999 x 10^ 9999 to be in Pharo
>>
>> Could other people give their opinion too?
>

> Yes please. Give it a try. It very simple to install and very very
> very
> useful.
>

>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] Algernon now available in Pharo

Igor Stasenko
My main source of dissatisfaction with Algernon is the memory footprint.
But one i had tried, was maybe a half-year ago .. does that changed somehow?

2009/7/22 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:

> Algernon looks promising.
>
> Here some feedback
> - Category actions are only fileOut and printOut, which I never use,
> so all those category entries are useless to me
> - "Press right arrow to drill into a class or category" does not work
> (right arrow makes the list go away but nothing else is shown)
> - how do I search for a method? Entering a selector does not show any
> result.
> - is there a way to search for senders, implementors, and class
> references?
> - I would show the result of expressions evaluated with = not in the
> transcript but in the Algernon panel (often I don't have a transcript
> open and then I can just as easily open a workspace doing the same
> there). A history of previous expressions could be helpful too.
>
> HTH,
> Adrian
>
> On Jul 18, 2009, at 20:59 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]
>> >wrote:

>>> Could other people give their opinion too?
>>

>> Yes please. Give it a try. It very simple to install and very very
>> very
>> useful.
>>

>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>>> popular by not having them." James Iry

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On 2009-07-22 03:58:17 -0300, Adrian Lienhard
<[hidden email]> said:

> Algernon looks promising.
>
> Here some feedback
> - Category actions are only fileOut and printOut, which I never use,
> so all those category entries are useless to me
> - "Press right arrow to drill into a class or category" does not work
> (right arrow makes the list go away but nothing else is shown)

Yes, that's useless for me too, but that's the "original design", it is
usefull for look at the classes inside a category: the right arrow goes
inside the category but you need to start typing to show something.
That can be changed, but right now I just ported actual Algernon to
pharo, not change it's behavior :)

> - how do I search for a method? Entering a selector does not show any
> result.

Same as with categories, you can search a method inside a class, not globally.

> - is there a way to search for senders, implementors, and class
> references?

not that I know

> - I would show the result of expressions evaluated with = not in the
> transcript but in the Algernon panel (often I don't have a transcript
> open and then I can just as easily open a workspace doing the same
> there). A history of previous expressions could be helpful too.

If there is interest, I can work on improve Algernon with some of this
features... but I need to spare the time :)

> HTH,
> Adrian
>
> On Jul 18, 2009, at 20:59 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Damien Cassou
>> <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:

>>> Could other people give their opinion too?
>>

>> Yes please. Give it a try. It very simple to install and very very
>> very
>> useful.
>>

>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>>> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] Algernon now available in Pharo

EstebanLM
It stills eats about 4-5M while running... I don't think it can be
changed easily but I can investigate a little.

On 2009-07-22 04:18:31 -0300, Igor Stasenko
<[hidden email]> said:

> My main source of dissatisfaction with Algernon is the memory footprint.
> But one i had tried, was maybe a half-year ago .. does that changed somehow?
>

> 2009/7/22 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:
>> Algernon looks promising.
>>
>> Here some feedback
>> - Category actions are only fileOut and printOut, which I never use,
>> so all those category entries are useless to me
>> - "Press right arrow to drill into a class or category" does not work
>> (right arrow makes the list go away but nothing else is shown)
>> - how do I search for a method? Entering a selector does not show any
>> result.
>> - is there a way to search for senders, implementors, and class
>> references?
>> - I would show the result of expressions evaluated with = not in the
>> transcript but in the Algernon panel (often I don't have a transcript
>> open and then I can just as easily open a workspace doing the same
>> there). A history of previous expressions could be helpful too.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Jul 18, 2009, at 20:59 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Damien Cassou
>>> <[hidden email]

>>> Yes please. Give it a try. It very simple to install and very very
>>> very
>>> useful.

Re: [ANN] Algernon now available in Pharo

Adrian Lienhard
Thanks for the clarifications.

I think it just needs some usability improvements and then it can beæ
really helpful.

Adrian