[ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Luc Fabresse
Hi all,

I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on 1.2
I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:

(ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load

(ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load

(ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'All'. 'MacOSX'}

(ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load: {'All'. 'MacOSX'}

#Luc

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Tudor Girba
That sounds really nice.

Just a question: Is Alien only working on Mac?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Luc Fabresse

2011/1/30 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
That sounds really nice.

Just a question: Is Alien only working on Mac?

It just requires the I32ABI  VM plugin which is included in the Cog VM as Eliot told me.
So it should work on linux+cog but I didn't test it recently.
Not sure this plugin is included in the regular unix VM.

#Luc

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Fernando olivero-2
Hi Luc,  which is the latest ConfigurationOfAlien we should use?
The one in MetacelloRepo or the one in Alien?

In the case its the Alien repo, should we save in the MetacelloRepo
also? To avoid confusion.

Fernando

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/1/30 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
>>
>> That sounds really nice.
>>
>> Just a question: Is Alien only working on Mac?
>
> It just requires the I32ABI  VM plugin which is included in the Cog VM as
> Eliot told me.
> So it should work on linux+cog but I didn't test it recently.
> Not sure this plugin is included in the regular unix VM.
> #Luc
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 30 Jan 2011, at 13:05, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on
>> > 1.2
>> > I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'All'.
>> > 'MacOSX'}
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load: {'All'.
>> > 'MacOSX'}
>> >
>> > #Luc
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Luc Fabresse
Hi Fernando and others,

 Just a point, I am not the Alien maintener but since I use it a lot, I patched it this week and commit ted all in the Alien repo.

  So you are right, it could be useful to copy the latest ConfigurationOfAlien in the Metacello repo.

#Luc

2011/1/31 Fernando Olivero <[hidden email]>
Hi Luc,  which is the latest ConfigurationOfAlien we should use?
The one in MetacelloRepo or the one in Alien?

In the case its the Alien repo, should we save in the MetacelloRepo
also? To avoid confusion.

Fernando

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/1/30 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
>>
>> That sounds really nice.
>>
>> Just a question: Is Alien only working on Mac?
>
> It just requires the I32ABI  VM plugin which is included in the Cog VM as
> Eliot told me.
> So it should work on linux+cog but I didn't test it recently.
> Not sure this plugin is included in the regular unix VM.
> #Luc
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 30 Jan 2011, at 13:05, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on
>> > 1.2
>> > I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'All'.
>> > 'MacOSX'}
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load: {'All'.
>> > 'MacOSX'}
>> >
>> > #Luc
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Luc Fabresse

I just did it.
Now ConfigurationOfAlien.32 is in the "Metacello Repository" on squeaksource.
Thanks Fernando for reminding me this step.

#Luc

2011/1/31 Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]>
Hi Fernando and others,

 Just a point, I am not the Alien maintener but since I use it a lot, I patched it this week and commit ted all in the Alien repo.

  So you are right, it could be useful to copy the latest ConfigurationOfAlien in the Metacello repo.

#Luc

2011/1/31 Fernando Olivero <[hidden email]>

Hi Luc,  which is the latest ConfigurationOfAlien we should use?
The one in MetacelloRepo or the one in Alien?

In the case its the Alien repo, should we save in the MetacelloRepo
also? To avoid confusion.

Fernando

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/1/30 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
>>
>> That sounds really nice.
>>
>> Just a question: Is Alien only working on Mac?
>
> It just requires the I32ABI  VM plugin which is included in the Cog VM as
> Eliot told me.
> So it should work on linux+cog but I didn't test it recently.
> Not sure this plugin is included in the regular unix VM.
> #Luc
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 30 Jan 2011, at 13:05, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on
>> > 1.2
>> > I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'All'.
>> > 'MacOSX'}
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load: {'All'.
>> > 'MacOSX'}
>> >
>> > #Luc
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 31, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Luc Fabresse wrote:

I just did it.
Now ConfigurationOfAlien.32 is in the "Metacello Repository" on squeaksource.
Thanks Fernando for reminding me this step.

Do we set up a build server for it?

#Luc

2011/1/31 Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]>
Hi Fernando and others,

 Just a point, I am not the Alien maintener but since I use it a lot, I patched it this week and commit ted all in the Alien repo.

  So you are right, it could be useful to copy the latest ConfigurationOfAlien in the Metacello repo.

#Luc

2011/1/31 Fernando Olivero <[hidden email]>

Hi Luc,  which is the latest ConfigurationOfAlien we should use?
The one in MetacelloRepo or the one in Alien?

In the case its the Alien repo, should we save in the MetacelloRepo
also? To avoid confusion.

Fernando

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/1/30 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
>>
>> That sounds really nice.
>>
>> Just a question: Is Alien only working on Mac?
>
> It just requires the I32ABI  VM plugin which is included in the Cog VM as
> Eliot told me.
> So it should work on linux+cog but I didn't test it recently.
> Not sure this plugin is included in the regular unix VM.
> #Luc
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 30 Jan 2011, at 13:05, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on
>> > 1.2
>> > I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'All'.
>> > 'MacOSX'}
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load: {'All'.
>> > 'MacOSX'}
>> >
>> > #Luc
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Luc Fabresse

2011/1/31 Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>
Do we set up a build server for it?

 My feeling is that nobody really maintain or improve it. Am I wrong? anybody there?
 or there is very low activity.
 So, I would say no.

 And I still hope for a better (threading, callbacks, ...) and more portable FFI library.
 Eliot spoke about that a while ago.

#Luc

#Luc

2011/1/31 Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]>

Hi Fernando and others,

 Just a point, I am not the Alien maintener but since I use it a lot, I patched it this week and commit ted all in the Alien repo.

  So you are right, it could be useful to copy the latest ConfigurationOfAlien in the Metacello repo.

#Luc

2011/1/31 Fernando Olivero <[hidden email]>

Hi Luc,  which is the latest ConfigurationOfAlien we should use?
The one in MetacelloRepo or the one in Alien?

In the case its the Alien repo, should we save in the MetacelloRepo
also? To avoid confusion.

Fernando

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/1/30 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
>>
>> That sounds really nice.
>>
>> Just a question: Is Alien only working on Mac?
>
> It just requires the I32ABI  VM plugin which is included in the Cog VM as
> Eliot told me.
> So it should work on linux+cog but I didn't test it recently.
> Not sure this plugin is included in the regular unix VM.
> #Luc
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 30 Jan 2011, at 13:05, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on
>> > 1.2
>> > I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'All'.
>> > 'MacOSX'}
>> >
>> > (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load: {'All'.
>> > 'MacOSX'}
>> >
>> > #Luc
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jan 31, 2011, at 1:50 PM, Luc Fabresse wrote:

> 2011/1/31 Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>
> Do we set up a build server for it?
>

>  My feeling is that nobody really maintain or improve it. Am I wrong? anybody there?
>  or there is very low activity.
>  So, I would say no.

So I would say yes!

>  And I still hope for a better (threading, callbacks, ...) and more portable FFI library.
>  Eliot spoke about that a while ago.

yes but first we have alien.

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

SergeStinckwich
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on 1.2
> I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'All'. 'MacOSX'}
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load: {'All'. 'MacOSX'}
> #Luc

Great work !
Any news from the Alien chapter for the Pharo book ? ;-)

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Luc Fabresse
Hi Serge,

 Sorry but I didn't write much in this chapter.
 I should continue on this ;-)

#Luc

2011/2/4 Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on 1.2
> I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'All'. 'MacOSX'}
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load: {'All'. 'MacOSX'}
> #Luc

Great work !
Any news from the Alien chapter for the Pharo book ? ;-)

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Luc Fabresse
Hi Esteban,

 I just understand your point now.
 I was using the VM 4.2.5 so Alien works pretty well on a 1.2.

 But on the 5.7.4 VM, Alien is totally broken.
 Even if I am not an expert in plugin code, I can give a try and look at it.
 Can you just give me the right way to compile/generate the plugin source?
 how to get the right WMMaker image? is it a pharo one now?
 which repository for the sources? gitorious?

Thanks for all your work and effort Esteban!

#Luc

2011/2/4 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
Hi,
yes... I will commit a fixed version this week or the next one, or the other (ah, time, that awful all-eater monster) :P

Cheers,
Esteban

El 04/02/2011, a las 9:57a.m., Luc Fabresse escribió:

Hi Esteban,

 No, I do not use Alien-MacOS (and I never played with it) even if I am on Mac.
 This is because I only need to call a standard POSIX library and Alien-Core is enough for me.
 If you have a patch or something better for Alien-MacOS, I can test it if you want.  please commit ;-)

 Cheers,

#Luc

2011/2/4 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
Hi Luc,
Did you make the package Alien-MacOS work? right now I'm dealing with it (I even needed to bugfix the plugin sources), and I'm fighting (hard) to make the proxy logic work... also I refactored a lot to make it compatible with latest versions of Alien.

Cheers,
Esteban

El 30/01/2011, a las 9:05a.m., Luc Fabresse escribió:

> Hi all,
>
> I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on 1.2
> I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:
>
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load
>
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load
>
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'All'. 'MacOSX'}
>
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.2') load: {'All'. 'MacOSX'}
>
> #Luc

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Joachim Geidel
Luc Fabresse wrote
I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on 1.2
I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:
Unfortunately, your new version of Alien-LibC is broken. It only works in Pharo, not in Squeak. Squeak does not include the methods isMacOS/isUnix/isWindows which are now used in LibCLibrary>>libraryName. You should use "Smalltalk os platformName = ..." instead, which is portable between Pharo and Squeak.

Does ConfigurationOfAlien work in Squeak 4.1 and 4.2?

Regards,
Joachim Geidel

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Luc Fabresse

2011/2/5 Joachim Geidel <[hidden email]>

Luc Fabresse wrote:

> I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on
> 1.2
> I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:

Unfortunately, your new version of Alien-LibC is broken. It only works in
Pharo, not in Squeak. Squeak does not include the methods
isMacOS/isUnix/isWindows which are now used in LibCLibrary>>libraryName. You
should use "Smalltalk os platformName = ..." instead, which is portable
between Pharo and Squeak.

Does ConfigurationOfAlien work in Squeak 4.1 and 4.2?

Arg you are probably right!
To make it work fast, you can modify the ConfigurationOfAlien to introduce squeak versions and fix it to load the previous version of LibC?
spec for: #squeak do: [ ... ]

Soon, I will try to provide an updated cross-plateform version of LibC.

#Luc

Regards,
Joachim Geidel

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

SergeStinckwich
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just committed new versions of Alien on squeaksource to make it run on 1.2
> I also modified the ConfigurationOfAlien to easily load it:
> (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load

I try to load Alien in a new Pharo 1.1.1 one click image on my MBP and
i've got the following message:

"This version of ALIEN assumes a size of 55 in the array of special
objects, if loaded would cause the image to crash!. Please contact the
Alien package developers"

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] Alien on Pharo 1.2

Luc Fabresse
Hi Serge,

 I guess that you use an old version of 1.1.1.
 It requires the updated version of SmalltalkImage>>recreateSpecialObjectsArray (array size of 55).

 For older version (array size of 50 such as Pharo 1.0 or Squeak 4.1 also I guess) you should load Alien-Core-LucFabresse.66 and not the latest core Alien-Core-IgorStasenko.68.

Steps for a running Alien in 1.1.1 (resp 1.2) with MacVM 4.2.5b1:

 1) download a fresh 1.1.1 (Latest update: #11418)
 2) Load:  ConfigurationOfAlien-LucFabresse.34
 3) (ConfigurationOfAlien project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'All'. 'MacOSX'}
 4) 40 run, 40 passes, 0 expected failures, 0 failures, 0 errors, 0 unexpected passes

 be happy ;-)

#Luc