[ANN] Automatically building Application Images / CLI

[ANN] Automatically building Application Images / CLI

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Greetings all,

You probably saw that in January, David Gregory posted an awesome summary [1] of how they were automatically building VAST application images via Jenkins/CLI. Not only he sent the detailed steps but also kindly shared the code with the community with an open-source license with the only hope to benefit all of us.

What I did now is:

* Put his scripts/code into a new Github repository [2]
* Adapt his explanation as the "documentation" in the README.md of the project
* Provide a self-contained (in the repo itself) out-of-the-box working example: the webapp Seaside Traffic Light which is even shipped with 9.2.1.

While there are still many things that could be done, this could be a very good first start. Feedback is appreciated as always and if you want to collaborate, please let me know and I add you as a contributor in the project.

Best regards,

[ANN] Automatically building Application Images / CLI

gcotelli
Hi, good work.

Marian did you know if there are some future plans to provide some level of CI integration for open source projects regarding existing ci cloud solutions (GitHub actions, Travis CI, Gitlab CI , etc)?

Right now there's no easy way to leverage that infrastructure. It could be really cool for open source projects to get the ability to test on several Vast versions and get back feedback on the code changes.

Re: [ANN] Automatically building Application Images / CLI

Mariano Martinez Peck-2

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 4:48 PM Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, good work.

Gracias Gabi :)

Marian did you know if there are some future plans to provide some level of CI integration for open source projects regarding existing ci cloud solutions (GitHub actions, Travis CI, Gitlab CI , etc)?

Yes. There are plans, and that's what I tried to cover under the point "Analyze how this related with Tonel and Smalltalk CI" of the "Future Work" section [1]

However, that's one of the ultimate blocks of the chain. We are still building the necessary blocks. For example, recently have been doing huge progress on Tonel support [2] (reading, writing and now even support for configuration maps).

Right now there's no easy way to leverage that infrastructure. It could be really cool for open source projects to get the ability to test on several Vast versions and get back feedback on the code changes.

Yes, that would be great and it is one of the reasons why we are pushing for Tonel.

Best,

--
Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: [ANN] Automatically building Application Images / CLI

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Hi all,

With the huge progress of Esteban Maringolo with Tonel support for VAST [1], I updated the CI example to use Git to store the Smalltalk code (the Seaside Traffic Light demo) with Tonel format [2] instead of ENVY. Everything is pushed on the latest commit.

Note that now Tonel does not only support apps but also config maps :) as you can see here [3].

Best regards,

Mariano