[ANN] BobsBrowser again

hernanmd
Dear all,
  As result of a strange exercise in software resurrection, you have
the chance of using the BobsBrowser [1] again , which is an
exploration of different ways of browsing code. To install please
evaluate:

Installer ss
  project: 'BobsBrowser';
  install: 'BobsBrowser'.

You can start a new browser using the World menu or by evaluating:

BobsBrowser browseAllClasses

The creator of this goodie was Bob Arning, enjoy it.
Best regards,

Hernán

[1] http://www.squeaksource.com/BobsBrowser.html

Re: [ANN] BobsBrowser again

Stéphane Ducasse
When I see all the self flag: #bob
it encourages me to go as far as I can from bob' code

So what is that cool with this browser?

Stef

On May 4, 2009, at 1:38 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Dear all,
>  As result of a strange exercise in software resurrection, you have
> the chance of using the BobsBrowser [1] again , which is an
> exploration of different ways of browsing code. To install please
> evaluate:
>
> Installer ss
>  project: 'BobsBrowser';
>  install: 'BobsBrowser'.
>
> You can start a new browser using the World menu or by evaluating:
>
> BobsBrowser browseAllClasses
>
> The creator of this goodie was Bob Arning, enjoy it.
> Best regards,
>
> Hernán
>
> [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/BobsBrowser.html

Re: [ANN] BobsBrowser again

Mariano Martinez Peck
I couldn't install it in 10299. I get a sintax error: "BobsBrowser other windows openLinkedInstanceMethodList "

Cheers,

Mariano

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:00 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I see all the self flag: #bob
it encourages me to go as far as I can from bob' code

So what is that cool with this browser?

Stef

On May 4, 2009, at 1:38 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Dear all,
>  As result of a strange exercise in software resurrection, you have
> the chance of using the BobsBrowser [1] again , which is an
> exploration of different ways of browsing code. To install please
> evaluate:
>
> Installer ss
>  project: 'BobsBrowser';
>  install: 'BobsBrowser'.
>
> You can start a new browser using the World menu or by evaluating:
>
> BobsBrowser browseAllClasses
>
> The creator of this goodie was Bob Arning, enjoy it.
> Best regards,
>
> Hernán
>
> [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/BobsBrowser.html

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] BobsBrowser again

hernanmd
Hi Mariano,
  I have the same syntax errors with Pharo 10300, but trying to
install other packages too. What I did is enabled the preference
#allowBlockArgumentAssignment and then the packages installed ok doing
first:

HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'installer.pbwiki.com/f/Installer.st'.
(Smalltalk at: #Installer)
  upgrade;
  install: 'Packages'.

and then

Installer ss
 project: 'BobsBrowser';
 install: 'BobsBrowser'.

Cheers,

Hernán

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,
 I have the same syntax errors with Pharo 10300, but trying to
install other packages too. What I did is enabled the preference
#allowBlockArgumentAssignment and then the packages installed ok doing
first:

Yes, now it works with enabling #allowBlockArgumentAssignment

HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'installer.pbwiki.com/f/Installer.st'.
(Smalltalk at: #Installer)
 upgrade;
 install: 'Packages'.

you can olso do:  ScriptLoader new installingInstaller

;)

and then

Installer ss
 project: 'BobsBrowser';
 install: 'BobsBrowser'.

Cheers,

Hernán

2009/5/4 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> I couldn't install it in 10299. I get a sintax error: "BobsBrowser other
> windows openLinkedInstanceMethodList "
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:00 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> When I see all the self flag: #bob
>> it encourages me to go as far as I can from bob' code
>>
>> So what is that cool with this browser?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On May 4, 2009, at 1:38 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>>
>> > Dear all,
>> >  As result of a strange exercise in software resurrection, you have
>> > the chance of using the BobsBrowser [1] again , which is an
>> > exploration of different ways of browsing code. To install please
>> > evaluate:
>> >
>> > Installer ss
>> >  project: 'BobsBrowser';
>> >  install: 'BobsBrowser'.
>> >
>> > You can start a new browser using the World menu or by evaluating:
>> >
>> > BobsBrowser browseAllClasses
>> >
>> > The creator of this goodie was Bob Arning, enjoy it.
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > Hernán
>> >
>> > [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/BobsBrowser.html

Re: [ANN] BobsBrowser again

hernanmd
Stéphane,
  BobsBrowser is an alternative browser, so isn't going to replace
ever the traditional browser tools, but there are a couple of cool
things about it:

-You can use it to quickly survey class hierarchies
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/1999-April/001103.html
-IIRC the Whisker browser used his hierarchical list, but in Whiskler
they are attached to a window while in BobsBrowser the lists are
detached (although you do not have the multiple views in one window
feature)
-As an alternative way to navigate the entire system, and I
particularly value the Driller (click in the "special items" (*) to
open it).
-If you are not super fan of classifications, you may find it more comfortable.

Cheers,

Hernán

2009/5/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> When I see all the self flag: #bob
> it encourages me to go as far as I can from bob' code
>
> So what is that cool with this browser?
>
> Stef
>
> On May 4, 2009, at 1:38 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>  As result of a strange exercise in software resurrection, you have
>> the chance of using the BobsBrowser [1] again , which is an
>> exploration of different ways of browsing code. To install please
>> evaluate:
>>
>> Installer ss
>>  project: 'BobsBrowser';
>>  install: 'BobsBrowser'.
>>
>> You can start a new browser using the World menu or by evaluating:
>>
>> BobsBrowser browseAllClasses
>>
>> The creator of this goodie was Bob Arning, enjoy it.
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/BobsBrowser.html

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] BobsBrowser again

hernanmd
2009/5/4 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Hernán Morales Durand
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mariano,
>>  I have the same syntax errors with Pharo 10300, but trying to
>> install other packages too. What I did is enabled the preference
>> #allowBlockArgumentAssignment and then the packages installed ok doing
>> first:
>
> Yes, now it works with enabling #allowBlockArgumentAssignment
>

>> HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'installer.pbwiki.com/f/Installer.st'.
>> (Smalltalk at: #Installer)
>>  upgrade;
>>  install: 'Packages'.
>
> you can olso do:  ScriptLoader new installingInstaller

I didn't knew that one, thanks.

Hernán

Re: [ANN] BobsBrowser again

On May 4, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Stéphane,
>  BobsBrowser is an alternative browser, so isn't going to replace
> ever the traditional browser tools, but there are a couple of cool
> things about it:
>
> -You can use it to quickly survey class hierarchies
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/1999-April/001103.html

how is different from the package browser inheritance list?

> -IIRC the Whisker browser used his hierarchical list, but in Whiskler
> they are attached to a window while in BobsBrowser the lists are
> detached (although you do not have the multiple views in one window
> feature)
> -As an alternative way to navigate the entire system, and I
> particularly value the Driller (click in the "special items" (*) to
> open it).

What is a driller

> -If you are not super fan of classifications, you may find it more
> comfortable.

How different from smart group in the browser of david?

I would love to be able to script a browser (soon I hope that I will
be able to do that with glamour).
I would love to have a bit the whisker behavior to see multiple
methods at once.

> Hernán
>
> 2009/5/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> When I see all the self flag: #bob
>> it encourages me to go as far as I can from bob' code
>>
>> So what is that cool with this browser?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On May 4, 2009, at 1:38 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>  As result of a strange exercise in software resurrection, you have
>>> the chance of using the BobsBrowser [1] again , which is an
>>> exploration of different ways of browsing code. To install please
>>> evaluate:
>>>
>>> Installer ss
>>>  project: 'BobsBrowser';
>>>  install: 'BobsBrowser'.
>>>
>>> You can start a new browser using the World menu or by evaluating:
>>>
>>> BobsBrowser browseAllClasses
>>>
>>> The creator of this goodie was Bob Arning, enjoy it.
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Hernán
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/BobsBrowser.html

Re: [ANN] BobsBrowser again

hernanmd
2009/5/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> On May 4, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> Stéphane,
>>  BobsBrowser is an alternative browser, so isn't going to replace
>> ever the traditional browser tools, but there are a couple of cool
>> things about it:
>>
>> -You can use it to quickly survey class hierarchies
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/1999-April/001103.html
>
> how is different from the package browser inheritance list?
It is collapsable at any level of the hierarchy you're viewing and
dettached from the browser window.

>> -IIRC the Whisker browser used his hierarchical list, but in Whiskler
>> they are attached to a window while in BobsBrowser the lists are
>> detached (although you do not have the multiple views in one window
>> feature)
>> -As an alternative way to navigate the entire system, and I
>> particularly value the Driller (click in the "special items" (*) to
>> open it).
>
> What is a driller
Please see the attachement.

>> -If you are not super fan of classifications, you may find it more
>> comfortable.
>
> How different from smart group in the browser of david?

  I think they have different purposes. With the Smart groups you
group of custom classes, categories or methods, you can assign
different groups to different things according to a particular
classification you have in mind or simply as shortcuts to save time.
However I found some issues: (sorry if they are corrected in latest
version, I just did a #loadSuperOB) The items in the tree are not
indented, for example, if I add Object, then MessageSend and
#isMessageSend, all of them appears at the same level in the tree
(cannot find an option to indent items manually, although it would be
nice an auto-indentation feature). After that, If I add the other
#isMessageSend implementor from Object, it doesn't appear in the tree.
So if I work some time with a smart group, and see the #isMessageSend,
I have to remember what implementor I have added or click the item to
know who belongs to, and I would have to create another group to add
another implementor.
  Another thing I see is menus over items are not contextual, may be
there are particular operations you want to be able to do with
messages but no with classes. A nice thing of the OB is the hierarchy
implementors, which BB doesn't have, but I didn't found a way to add
them to a smart group.
 The hierarchical lists of BB are not intended for knowledge
organization or custom navigation of Smalltalk things, the hierarchies
you can see are the organizations from the Smalltalk reflective
meta-architecture at any level (classes, senders, implementors), and
they are expandable/collapsable (in the OB you can only expand the
system categories and subcategories), but you cannot build groups.
That would be the main differences as far I as know.

> I would love to be able to script a browser (soon I hope that I will
> be able to do that with glamour).

Any link or documentation about glamour?

Hernán

> I would love to have a bit the whisker behavior to see multiple
> methods at once.
>
> Stef
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> 2009/5/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> When I see all the self flag: #bob
>>> it encourages me to go as far as I can from bob' code
>>>
>>> So what is that cool with this browser?
>>>
>>> Stef

Object driller.png (26K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] BobsBrowser again

Stéphane Ducasse

On May 4, 2009, at 5:18 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> 2009/5/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On May 4, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>>
>>> Stéphane,
>>>  BobsBrowser is an alternative browser, so isn't going to replace
>>> ever the traditional browser tools, but there are a couple of cool
>>> things about it:
>>>
>>> -You can use it to quickly survey class hierarchies
>>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/1999-April/001103.html
>>
>> how is different from the package browser inheritance list?
>
> It is collapsable at any level of the hierarchy you're viewing and
> dettached from the browser window.

I loaded the code to check :)

>>>  I think they have different purposes. With the Smart groups you
> group of custom classes, categories or methods, you can assign
> different groups to different things according to a particular
> classification you have in mind or simply as shortcuts to save time.
> However I found some issues: (sorry if they are corrected in latest
> version, I just did a #loadSuperOB) The items in the tree are not
> indented, for example, if I add Object, then MessageSend and
> #isMessageSend, all of them appears at the same level in the tree
> (cannot find an option to indent items manually, although it would be
> nice an auto-indentation feature). After that, If I add the other
> #isMessageSend implementor from Object, it doesn't appear in the tree.
> So if I work some time with a smart group, and see the #isMessageSend,
> I have to remember what implementor I have added or click the item to
> know who belongs to, and I would have to create another group to add
> another implementor.

pass the info to david :)

>  Another thing I see is menus over items are not contextual, may be
> there are particular operations you want to be able to do with
> messages but no with classes. A nice thing of the OB is the hierarchy
> implementors, which BB doesn't have, but I didn't found a way to add
> them to a smart group.
> The hierarchical lists of BB are not intended for knowledge
> organization or custom navigation of Smalltalk things, the hierarchies
> you can see are the organizations from the Smalltalk reflective
> meta-architecture at any level (classes, senders, implementors), and
> they are expandable/collapsable (in the OB you can only expand the
> system categories and subcategories), but you cannot build groups.
> That would be the main differences as far I as know.

OK I see.

>> I would love to be able to script a browser (soon I hope that I will
>> be able to do that with glamour).
>
> Any link or documentation about glamour?

Soon once doru will release it I'm sure we will see a boum of new
browsers :)