[ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

[ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Moose was again nominated for the CH Open Source Awards:

http://www.ossawards.ch/nominierte/

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Some battles are better lost than fought."

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

Alexandre Bergel
Excellent!

Alexandre

On 9 Aug 2010, at 15:05, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Moose was again nominated for the CH Open Source Awards:
>
> http://www.ossawards.ch/nominierte/
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Some battles are better lost than fought."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

askoh
Administrator
It is not obvious what MOOSE is. Even the website doesn't explain it quickly and easily. So, what is MOOSE?

Aik-Siong Koh

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

Tudor Girba
:)

Really, it does not communicate even the tiniest of clues?

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 Aug 2010, at 01:07, askoh wrote:

> It is not obvious what MOOSE is. Even the website doesn't explain it
> quickly
> and easily. So, what is MOOSE?
>
> Aik-Siong Koh

www.tudorgirba.com

"We are all great at making mistakes."

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

askoh
Administrator
Doru:

If you are a genius, understand that 95% of people are not. If your web
site does not have a paragraph answering the question "What is MOOSE?",
then you are missing those 95%. I am giving you time because I love
Smalltalk. Few others would.

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

Tudor Girba
:) I am not a genius and I was not pulling your leg either. I am
actually pretty interested in such opinions, but, you have to admin
that it is pretty funny that the webpage could not even provide the
tiniest of hint to this basic question.

So, coming back to the point. Did you find the sentence "Moose is a
platform for software and data analysis" ambiguous? What about the
text from the About section?

Just to make sure, the webpage of Moose is: http://moosetechnology.org

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 Aug 2010, at 16:42, askoh wrote:

> Doru:
>
> If you are a genius, understand that 95% of people are not. If your
> web
> site does not have a paragraph answering the question "What is
> MOOSE?",
> then you are missing those 95%. I am giving you time because I love
> Smalltalk. Few others would.
>
> All the best,
> Aik-Siong Koh

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every now and then stop and ask yourself if the war you're fighting
is the right one."

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

askoh
Administrator
"software and data analysis" is so generic that it is meaningless. Give concrete examples of analysis or use cases. The video is so disappointing. I still don't know how I can use MOOSE for my work.

Aik-Siong Koh

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

Alexandre Bergel
Dear Aik-Siong Koh,

> "software and data analysis" is so generic that it is meaningless. Give
> concrete examples of analysis or use cases. The video is so disappointing.

Please, consider that Moose is solution for analysis software that is free. Nobody in the moose community receives bonus by writing documentation and making videos.

> I still don't know how I can use MOOSE for my work.

The moose book provides many examples on how to use moose to spot relevant situations in a software development setting.
http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/system-complexity
http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/blueprint
http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/side-by-side-duplication
http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/dependencies
http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/edsm

Maybe you can state what you wish to use Moose for.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

I think that the videos for the logos is indeed not the best first introduction to moose but it will come.

Stef

On Aug 10, 2010, at 6:48 PM, askoh wrote:

> "software and data analysis" is so generic that it is meaningless. Give
> concrete examples of analysis or use cases. The video is so disappointing. I
> still don't know how I can use MOOSE for my work.
>
> Aik-Siong Koh

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

askoh
Administrator
I hear people hiring to do MOOSE. It is being nominated for awards. So I am trying to find out what is so great about MOOSE. But I cannot seem to find the answer without going through all this discussions.

Hopefully the links of examples will help. I will read them.

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

Tudor Girba
Thanks for the input.

First, what is your work? :)

Second, please let me know if anything you read gives you a better
impression. We know that documentation and presentation is something
that needs to get better, and outside points of view are useful.

Third, even though you find "software and data analysis" meaningless,
I am happy that it has made it as a message :).

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 Aug 2010, at 21:19, askoh wrote:

> I hear people hiring to do MOOSE. It is being nominated for awards.
> So I am
> trying to find out what is so great about MOOSE. But I cannot seem
> to find
> the answer without going through all this discussions.
>
> Hopefully the links of examples will help. I will read them.
>
> All the best,
> Aik-Siong Koh

www.tudorgirba.com

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Re: [ANN] CH Open Source Awards - nomination

askoh
Administrator
My work is on
freeCAD: 3D CAD with Motion Simulation
http://askoh.com
http://ar-cad.com
I am also porting freeCAD to Open Cobalt.

I will be glad if MOOSE can help in my work.

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh