[ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

123

[ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

We are going to change the current version number of the Trunk to "5.2alpha" to denote our plans for the upcoming Squeak release. After several discussions within the board and with our release manager Edgar, we came to conclusion that it makes sense to postpone the "6.0" a little bit to finish some bigger concerns such as the use of ephemerons and Etoys clean-up.

Best,
Marcel

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

Edgar De Cleene
+1
This 5.2 should be a freeze and polish what we have now.
I propose
No red test if possible
Open mantis show I do not could  create a new category named 5.2 , who could do this ?
Also shows 94 reported crashed , some very old.

On 24 May 2018, at 05:44, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, there.

We are going to change the current version number of the Trunk to "5.2alpha" to denote our plans for the upcoming Squeak release. After several discussions within the board and with our release manager Edgar, we came to conclusion that it makes sense to postpone the "6.0" a little bit to finish some bigger concerns such as the use of ephemerons and Etoys clean-up.

Best,
Marcel

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

marcel.taeumel
I propose to leave "60Deprecated" as the package where we would put deprecations. No nned for 52Deprecated, I suppose...

A "feature freeze" would be "5.2beta". Do we want to go there directly, Edgar?

Best,
Marcel

Am 24.05.2018 12:34:14 schrieb Edgar De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha
Maybe not.
A separate Directory in ftp and a new category in Mantis should be better for now.

bpi

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

bpi

I wanted to get a current trunk image to help testing the new release. Normally, I go to http://squeak.org/downloads/ and click the trunk link http://files.squeak.org/trunk/. This leads to an empty directory. I guess this might be an unintended consquence of the rename.

Are you going to rename the folder and files in http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/ as well?

Best,
Bernhard

> Am 24.05.2018 um 10:44 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi, there.
>
> We are going to change the current version number of the Trunk to "5.2alpha" to denote our plans for the upcoming Squeak release. After several discussions within the board and with our release manager Edgar, we came to conclusion that it makes sense to postpone the "6.0" a little bit to finish some bigger concerns such as the use of ephemerons and Etoys clean-up.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Bernard

A solution which works well for the meantime is to take early May download from

http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/

And update from within the image.

One of the updates is the rename to 5.2alpha. The result is attached.

Regards
--Hannes

On 5/26/18, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to get a current trunk image to help testing the new release.
> Normally, I go to http://squeak.org/downloads/ and click the trunk link
> http://files.squeak.org/trunk/. This leads to an empty directory. I guess
> this might be an unintended consquence of the rename.
>
> Are you going to rename the folder and files in
> http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/ as well?
>
> Best,
> Bernhard
>
>> Am 24.05.2018 um 10:44 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi, there.
>>
>> We are going to change the current version number of the Trunk to
>> "5.2alpha" to denote our plans for the upcoming Squeak release. After
>> several discussions within the board and with our release manager Edgar,
>> we came to conclusion that it makes sense to postpone the "6.0" a little
>> bit to finish some bigger concerns such as the use of ephemerons and Etoys
>> clean-up.
>>
>> Best,
>> Marcel

Result_of_updating_Trunk_Screenshot2018-05-26.png (78K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

fniephaus
Dear all,

TravisCI just generated the first set of 5.2alpha artifacts including updated VMs which are now available at [1]. This URL actually links to the same folder you can find at [2].
Although recent TravisCI builds have passed, this folder was empty because of an issue with the updater which Marcel and I just resolved.
Therefore, all new artifacts are now uploaded to the 5.2alpha directory and should show up at [1]/[2].

Happy testing!

Fabio

bpi

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

bpi
Hi,

So it was just race condition. :-)

Thank you for fixing the upload!

I saw that the 5.2alpha build contains the VM with the version 201804030952, which is not the latest version on Bintray (and interestingly is not even in the versions list on https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog).

Should testing happen with this VM or with the latest from Bintray?

Cheers,
Bernhard

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 6:40 PM Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

So it was just race condition. :-)

Thank you for fixing the upload!

I saw that the 5.2alpha build contains the VM with the version 201804030952, which is not the latest version on Bintray (and interestingly is not even in the versions list on https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog).

The VMs on Bintray are removed after a few weeks to save storage costs. More importantly, these VMs are considered bleeding edge and I don't think it's a good idea to test a bleeding edge Squeak image with a bleeding edge VM. If something is broken, it can be really hard to tell if the problem is in the VM or in the image.
The VMs that ship with the current 5.2alpha builds are from the latest VM pre-release which you can find at [1]. Unfortunately, the latest stable VM release [2] is from 2016.

Fabio

Should testing happen with this VM or with the latest from Bintray?

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 26.05.2018 um 16:58 schrieb Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]>:
>
> Dear all,
>
> TravisCI just generated the first set of 5.2alpha artifacts including updated VMs which are now available at [1]. This URL actually links to the same folder you can find at [2].
> Although recent TravisCI builds have passed, this folder was empty because of an issue with the updater which Marcel and I just resolved.
> Therefore, all new artifacts are now uploaded to the 5.2alpha directory and should show up at [1]/[2].
>
> Happy testing!
>
> Fabio
>
> [1] http://files.squeak.org/trunk/
> [2] http://files.squeak.org/5.2alpha/
>

> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 1:20 PM H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Bernard
>
> A solution which works well for the meantime is to take early May download from
>
> http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/
>
> And update from within the image.
>
> One of the updates is the rename to 5.2alpha. The result is attached.
>
> Regards
> --Hannes
>

> On 5/26/18, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to get a current trunk image to help testing the new release.
> > Normally, I go to http://squeak.org/downloads/ and click the trunk link
> > http://files.squeak.org/trunk/. This leads to an empty directory. I guess
> > this might be an unintended consquence of the rename.
> >
> > Are you going to rename the folder and files in
> > http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/ as well?
> >
> > Best,
> > Bernhard
> >
> >> Am 24.05.2018 um 10:44 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Hi, there.
> >>
> >> We are going to change the current version number of the Trunk to
> >> "5.2alpha" to denote our plans for the upcoming Squeak release. After
> >> several discussions within the board and with our release manager Edgar,
> >> we came to conclusion that it makes sense to postpone the "6.0" a little
> >> bit to finish some bigger concerns such as the use of ephemerons and Etoys
> >> clean-up.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Marcel

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

Edgar De Cleene

To Fabio,Bernhard,Marcel and surely many other Great Job.
No odds on Linux this time.
Moving a link to my Mac create  .image works

> On 26 May 2018, at 13:40, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> So it was just race condition. :-)
>
> Thank you for fixing the upload!
>
> I saw that the 5.2alpha build contains the VM with the version 201804030952, which is not the latest version on Bintray (and interestingly is not even in the versions list on https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog).
>
> Should testing happen with this VM or with the latest from Bintray?
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard
>
>> Am 26.05.2018 um 16:58 schrieb Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> TravisCI just generated the first set of 5.2alpha artifacts including updated VMs which are now available at [1]. This URL actually links to the same folder you can find at [2].
>> Although recent TravisCI builds have passed, this folder was empty because of an issue with the updater which Marcel and I just resolved.
>> Therefore, all new artifacts are now uploaded to the 5.2alpha directory and should show up at [1]/[2].
>>
>> Happy testing!
>>
>> Fabio
>>
>> [1] http://files.squeak.org/trunk/
>> [2] http://files.squeak.org/5.2alpha/
>>

>> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 1:20 PM H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Bernard
>>
>> A solution which works well for the meantime is to take early May download from
>>
>> http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/
>>
>> And update from within the image.
>>
>> One of the updates is the rename to 5.2alpha. The result is attached.
>>
>> Regards
>> --Hannes
>>

>>> On 5/26/18, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to get a current trunk image to help testing the new release.
>>> Normally, I go to http://squeak.org/downloads/ and click the trunk link
>>> http://files.squeak.org/trunk/. This leads to an empty directory. I guess
>>> this might be an unintended consquence of the rename.
>>>
>>> Are you going to rename the folder and files in
>>> http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/ as well?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bernhard

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

Eliot Miranda-2

On May 26, 2018, at 2:02 PM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

This is so depressing.  What's the process by which a stable VM release is made?  That process is broken.  We have to fix it.  2016?!?!

Fabio

Should testing happen with this VM or with the latest from Bintray?

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 26.05.2018 um 16:58 schrieb Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]>:
>
> Dear all,
>
> TravisCI just generated the first set of 5.2alpha artifacts including updated VMs which are now available at [1]. This URL actually links to the same folder you can find at [2].
> Although recent TravisCI builds have passed, this folder was empty because of an issue with the updater which Marcel and I just resolved.
> Therefore, all new artifacts are now uploaded to the 5.2alpha directory and should show up at [1]/[2].
>
> Happy testing!
>
> Fabio
>
> [1] http://files.squeak.org/trunk/
> [2] http://files.squeak.org/5.2alpha/
>

> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 1:20 PM H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Bernard
>
> A solution which works well for the meantime is to take early May download from
>
> http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/
>
> And update from within the image.
>
> One of the updates is the rename to 5.2alpha. The result is attached.
>
> Regards
> --Hannes
>

> On 5/26/18, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to get a current trunk image to help testing the new release.
> > Normally, I go to http://squeak.org/downloads/ and click the trunk link
> > http://files.squeak.org/trunk/. This leads to an empty directory. I guess
> > this might be an unintended consquence of the rename.
> >
> > Are you going to rename the folder and files in
> > http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/ as well?
> >
> > Best,
> > Bernhard
> >
> >> Am 24.05.2018 um 10:44 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Hi, there.
> >>
> >> We are going to change the current version number of the Trunk to
> >> "5.2alpha" to denote our plans for the upcoming Squeak release. After
> >> several discussions within the board and with our release manager Edgar,
> >> we came to conclusion that it makes sense to postpone the "6.0" a little
> >> bit to finish some bigger concerns such as the use of ephemerons and Etoys
> >> clean-up.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Marcel

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

marcel.taeumel
Hi Eliot,

the latest pre-release seems okay. I have been using it for several weeks now. I suppose that the "last stable" from 2016 is not any different from our recent pre-release in terms of stability. Nothing changed with regard to some stability metrics in the last years. If it builds and lasts a few weeks, it should be fine. :-) Yet, the frequent seg-faults in the CI during test runs are kind of unsettling. :-/

Best,
Marcel

Hi,

bpi

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

bpi
Hi Eliot,

I feel your pain. My I ask, what was your process for deciding that a VM is a stable one on http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/ before the switch to GitHub? Could this old process be used on GitHub as well and if not, why not?

Thanks for your terrific work on the VMs!

Best,
Bernhard

bpi

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

bpi
Hi Fabio!

Thanks for the information. I will test using the pre-release version.

What is strange then is that far older versions than 201804030952 are still available on Bintray.

It would be good to have this descriptions on Bintray maybe with a link to the GitHub releases page. On the main GitHub page there are links to the stable release and to the bleeding edge versions. Maybe a link to the latest pre-release should be added?

Bernhard

bpi

On Sun, 27 May 2018 at 12:57 pm, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Fabio!

Thanks for the information. I will test using the pre-release version.

What is strange then is that far older versions than 201804030952 are still available on Bintray.

It would be good to have this descriptions on Bintray maybe with a link to the GitHub releases page. On the main GitHub page there are links to the stable release and to the bleeding edge versions. Maybe a link to the latest pre-release should be added?

Yes, we should extend the docs. Up until recently, I've always seen the Bintray artifacts as something vm-dev people need, but it turns out that there are some users downloading these artifacts as well.

We could promote the pre-release to be a proper release, then the link would automatically point to it. Instead of manually adding a link to pre-releases, I'd much rather like us to fix the release process.

Fabio

Bernhard

> Am 26.05.2018 um 23:02 schrieb Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 6:40 PM Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I saw that the 5.2alpha build contains the VM with the version 201804030952, which is not the latest version on Bintray (and interestingly is not even in the versions list on https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog).
>>
> The VMs on Bintray are removed after a few weeks to save storage costs. More importantly, these VMs are considered bleeding edge and I don't think it's a good idea to test a bleeding edge Squeak image with a bleeding edge VM. If something is broken, it can be really hard to tell if the problem is in the VM or in the image.
> The VMs that ship with the current 5.2alpha builds are from the latest VM pre-release which you can find at [1]. Unfortunately, the latest stable VM release [2] is from 2016.
>
> Fabio
>
> [1] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/201804030952
> [2] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/latest
>

>> Should testing happen with this VM or with the latest from Bintray?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bernhard

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

fniephaus
Hi Eliot,

On Sun, 27 May 2018 at 10:06 am, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

I recently tried to do a release because of this, but got some pushback. Instead, I did a pre-release, so there's at least a checkpoint we can use for Squeak. We can easily promote that pre-release to be a proper release, we can even do a new full release today or in a few days. But I don't want to make that decision on my own, especially because I'm not update to date on everything that's been worked on.

Fabio

Fabio

Should testing happen with this VM or with the latest from Bintray?

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 26.05.2018 um 16:58 schrieb Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]>:
>
> Dear all,
>
> TravisCI just generated the first set of 5.2alpha artifacts including updated VMs which are now available at [1]. This URL actually links to the same folder you can find at [2].
> Although recent TravisCI builds have passed, this folder was empty because of an issue with the updater which Marcel and I just resolved.
> Therefore, all new artifacts are now uploaded to the 5.2alpha directory and should show up at [1]/[2].
>
> Happy testing!
>
> Fabio
>
> [1] http://files.squeak.org/trunk/
> [2] http://files.squeak.org/5.2alpha/
>

> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 1:20 PM H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Bernard
>
> A solution which works well for the meantime is to take early May download from
>
> http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/
>
> And update from within the image.
>
> One of the updates is the rename to 5.2alpha. The result is attached.
>
> Regards
> --Hannes
>

> On 5/26/18, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to get a current trunk image to help testing the new release.
> > Normally, I go to http://squeak.org/downloads/ and click the trunk link
> > http://files.squeak.org/trunk/. This leads to an empty directory. I guess
> > this might be an unintended consquence of the rename.
> >
> > Are you going to rename the folder and files in
> > http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/ as well?
> >
> > Best,
> > Bernhard
> >
> >> Am 24.05.2018 um 10:44 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Hi, there.
> >>
> >> We are going to change the current version number of the Trunk to
> >> "5.2alpha" to denote our plans for the upcoming Squeak release. After
> >> several discussions within the board and with our release manager Edgar,
> >> we came to conclusion that it makes sense to postpone the "6.0" a little
> >> bit to finish some bigger concerns such as the use of ephemerons and Etoys
> >> clean-up.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Marcel

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

Levente Uzonyi
Unfortunately, the pre-release VM has the bug described in issue #260:
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/260 .

Levente

On Sat, 26 May 2018, Fabio Niephaus wrote:

> [...]
>       > > Bernhard
>       > >
>       > >> Am 24.05.2018 um 10:44 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:
>       > >>
>       > >> Hi, there.
>       > >>
>       > >> We are going to change the current version number of the Trunk to
>       > >> "5.2alpha" to denote our plans for the upcoming Squeak release. After
>       > >> several discussions within the board and with our release manager Edgar,
>       > >> we came to conclusion that it makes sense to postpone the "6.0" a little
>       > >> bit to finish some bigger concerns such as the use of ephemerons and Etoys
>       > >> clean-up.
>       > >>
>       > >> Best,
>       > >> Marcel

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

Tobias Pape

> On 27.05.2018, at 20:16, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, the pre-release VM has the bug described in issue #260: https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/260 .

Yea, i haven't had the time to fix that one.
It's actually a plugin not the vm per se…

        -t

> [...]
>>      > > Bernhard
>>      > >
>>      > >> Am 24.05.2018 um 10:44 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:
>>      > >>
>>      > >> Hi, there.
>>      > >>
>>      > >> We are going to change the current version number of the Trunk to
>>      > >> "5.2alpha" to denote our plans for the upcoming Squeak release. After
>>      > >> several discussions within the board and with our release manager Edgar,
>>      > >> we came to conclusion that it makes sense to postpone the "6.0" a little
>>      > >> bit to finish some bigger concerns such as the use of ephemerons and Etoys
>>      > >> clean-up.
>>      > >>
>>      > >> Best,
>>      > >> Marcel

Re: [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

Chris Muller-3
Wow, I'm so glad we're having this discussion!

For clarification, the current stable VM is 5.0-201608171728.  And,
it IS stable.  It's one of the last VM's before Eliot made the new
garbage collector, so while it can encounter very long GC pauses, I
have rarely encountered any crashes whatsoever.

I've tried upgrading my VM several times over the last 18 months since
then but it would always frequent-enough crashes that it would become
too disruptive to project work.  With a new VM coming out every day,
at first I would wonder, "did that crash get fixed?" and I would try
again every other week or so.  But, it's time consuming to switch
VM's, bear the instability, and then swtich back, so after too many
failures I eventually stopped and just stayed with 5.0-201608171728.

Then, with the announcement of the 5.2 release a few weeks ago, I
decided to try again, so ventured back out to bintray try the "latest"
VM.  In this case, it was, 201804162229.  (See, we should not refer to
"latest" in any context of searching for a stable release, but only
specific version #'s please)...

Unfortunately, it didn't last very long before crashing with a
WebClient SSL access, so I was once again forced to revert back to
5.0-201608171728.

It would be so nice if we could include a newer VM one that is just as
stable for the release!  But...

>> Unfortunately, the pre-release VM has the bug described in issue #260: https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/260 .>
>
> Yea, i haven't had the time to fix that one.
> It's actually a plugin not the vm per se…

... IMO, it's a non-starter to include a newer VM in 5.2 release if it
means this plugin will be broken.

Thanks, Eliot, for Cog and Spur, they are masterpieces of mechanation!

Best Regards,
  Chris

123