[ANN] CoViD-19 Charts prototype

Christian Haider

Hi all,

the corona virus is a bummer and it keeps me occupied more than is good for me, I guess.

Since I am unhappy with some infos on the web (some are really nice!), because I want to see different numbers and charts. So, I used the opportunity to try out Amber for real. Here it is:

                https://covidcrt.uber.space

It is still bare and simple, but here I can get a better picture of the development of this crisis.

Especially, I wanted to see how the case increases develops (how fast is the increase increasing).

I look at Italy, Germany and especially, the US. This is scary!

From today until Sunday, there will be a virtual hackaton from the German government [1]. I want to participate and will work on this. Anybody interested? You can apply until 14 o'clock GMT. (And yes, I know that it is stupid that Germany does it on its own, but better than nothing!).

Technicalities (for people who want to play with the source):

Everything is open and under MIT licence.

1. There is a small VisualWorks program loading the data from the John-Hopkins-University, transforming them and saving the data as JSON. The package is [CoViD19] in the public store.

2. The app is in Amber Smalltalk and the html is done with Silk.

Silk is very exciting and makes web programming fun again. I am completely enthusiastic about it :-) !

Unfortunately, setting up the development environment is a bit complicated, because I issued a pull request[2] for an addition to Silk which is not incorporated yet.

Therefore, after you did all the normal setup, you need to replace the Silk source files in ./node_modules\@ambers\silk\src with the files in [3].

Also, I disabled my dev buttons in the app. To open Helios, the browser, you have to enter

                require('amber/helpers').popupHelios()

in the browser console of the dev tools.

Happy hacking and good luck to everybody,

                Christian

[1] https://wirvsvirushackathon.org/

[2] https://lolg.it/herby/silk/pulls/11

[3] https://covidcrt.uber.space/Silk.zip

Re: AW: [amber-lang] [ANN] CoViD-19 Charts prototype

Herby Vojčík
On 20. 3. 2020 13:05, Christian Haider wrote:
> Correction: the pull request was integrated in Amber, so the setup
> should now be straight forward. Just update amber.

Not so fast, Silk is library of its own. Plus it needs release, unless
you update directly from git, but I am going to do it in a few minutes.

Herby

AW: AW: [amber-lang] [ANN] CoViD-19 Charts prototype

Christian Haider
Sorry. Still newbe in this ecosystem...