[ANN] ConfigurationOfMagma for Magma 1.1r1

[ANN] ConfigurationOfMagma for Magma 1.1r1

Miguel Cobá
I'm pleased to announce that the ConfigurationOfMagma now includes
support for loading version 1.1r1 of Magma.

In a Pharo or PharoCore 1.0 image evaluate:

Gofer it
  squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfMagma';
  load.

To install the Magma Client evaluate:

ConfigurationOfMagma project latestVersion load: 'Client'

To install the Magma Server evaluate:

ConfigurationOfMagma project latestVersion load: 'Server'

To install the Magma Tester evaluate:

ConfigurationOfMagma project latestVersion load: 'Tester'

Then if you want, run the test suite. Evaluate in a workspace:

MagmaTestCase allowWriteBarrier: false.
MagmaTestCase fullSuite maDebug.

Enjoy
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [ANN] ConfigurationOfMagma for Magma 1.1r1

garduino
Hi;

Thanks by the useful configuration.

I tried today by first time on a Pharo 1.0 image and get a DNU

Scanner class(Object)>>
doesNotUnderstand: #allowUnderscoreAsAssignment:

I need to install some patch before run the installation?

Cheers.
Germán.

El 3 de junio de 2010 21:46, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez <[hidden email]> escribió:
[...]

I checked a bit and saw that such method is on Scanner class on PharoCore 1.2, but not on Pharo 1.0.

What I missed?

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

Re: [ANN] ConfigurationOfMagma for Magma 1.1r1

garduino
I saw that exist a preference, but seems not work.

Also a closed issue talking about this topic (1544) but really don't understand how to use this in Pharo 1.0.

Any clarification will be appreciated.

Cheers.

El sáb, 10-07-2010 a las 12:14 -0300, Germán Arduino escribió:

> I saw that exist a preference, but seems not work.
>
> Also a closed issue talking about this topic (1544) but really don't
> understand how to use this in Pharo 1.0.
>
> Any clarification will be appreciated.

Hola Germán,

just have the time to check this issue. I found the problem.
This configuration was made and tested for PharoCore 1.0 (and maybe
Pharo 1.0 but I always test on Pharo Core images). The version I
published with support for 1.1r1 was

ConfigurationOfMagma-MiguelCoba.31.mcz from 3 June 2010, 7:40:32 pm.

Thas was tested, as I said, in PharoCore 1.0. In pharo core 1.0 the
underscores are allowed.
Also, in PharoCore 1.0 the setting is changed in a preference

Preferences class>>allowUnderScoreAssingment.

Remember that currently only PharoCore 1.0 is released and stable. 1.1
is frozen and 1.2 is unstable.

Now, the configuration was modified in order to work for 1.1 and 1.2.
So the method:

ConfigurationOfMagma>>preLoadForPharo
        "Magma extends EventSensor that was replaced by InputEventSensor in
Pharo and Magma still has underscore code"

        Smalltalk at: #EventSensor put: InputEventSensor.

got this line added:

        Scanner allowUnderscoreAsAssignment: true.

But this is correct only for Pharo 1.1 and 1.2. In those versions of
pharo, is the Scanner class the responsible of allowing or not the
underscore in the code. In Pharo 1.0 that method doesn't exist in
Scanner class. So the error you saw.

So the configuration of magma now loads in 1.1 and 1.2 but is broken on
the stable release.

fortunately this can be reverted and everything will be ok. But...

two things:

- If we modify a stable configuration in order to make it work in a RC
or unstable version of pharo things will probably broke, because of the
many changes of the new version of pharo respect to the old one.
- We must decide about the aproach for handle this.
  One proposal suggested to copy all the configurations tested in a
given pharo version to a new repository for the next release.
  I proposed to use tags in the version methods that specify what
versions of pharo they apply to (but didn't provide any code for this so
the copy of configuration has more viability :)

No matter what option is elected as long as is elected soon. Why,
because people understandably want software to run in the newest version
of pharo, but if there isn't a specific configuration for the new
version, they will modify and possibly broke the stable one.

So people, what should we do?
Dale, can you please give your opinion. We need to decide now.

P.S. I will revert for now the change in ConfigurationOfMagma so it
works for 1.0 and will be broken for 1.1 and 1.2.

Thanks

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx