[ANN]: Cornucopia Scorecards

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I finished the little web app which inspired my recent questions. It was a present for my wife...

In the U.S., most chickens used for egg production are treated in a way, which besides being morally questionable, seems to have a negative effect on their nutrition and taste. Consequently, people (like my wife and I) have become more committed to being informed about where their eggs come from.

Enter cornucopia.org... They score many well-known egg suppliers on a variety of points and then boil them down (pun intended ;)) to a 1-5 rating. The problem is that it's a bit unwieldy to scroll through ~150 suppliers in the giant HTML table on cornucopia.org.

So I scraped their webpage into json, wrote a model in Pharo, and then ported it to Amber with a thin Boootstrap/jquery-ui wrapper on top.

Enjoy!

http://seandenigris.com/eggscores/
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN]: Cornucopia Scorecards

Nicolas Petton-3
"Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I finished the little web app which inspired my recent questions. It was a
> present for my wife...
>
> In the U.S., most chickens used for egg production are treated in a way,
> which besides being morally questionable, seems to have a negative effect on
> their nutrition and taste. Consequently, people (like my wife and I) have
> become more committed to being informed about where their eggs come from.
>
> Enter cornucopia.org... They score many well-known egg suppliers on a
> variety of points and then boil them down (pun intended ;)) to a 1-5 rating.
> The problem is that it's a bit unwieldy to scroll through ~150 suppliers in
> the giant HTML table on cornucopia.org.
>
> So I scraped their webpage into json, wrote a model in Pharo, and then
> ported it to Amber with a thin Boootstrap/jquery-ui wrapper on top.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> http://seandenigris.com/eggscores/
Cool!  And it looks nice as well.  Oh, and it's responsive too!  Good
job :)

Cheers,
Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [ANN]: Cornucopia Scorecards

Hannes Hirzel
Nice example, Sean. Thank you!

Added to the list

https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/pull/83

BTW did you register it in bower.json as a library?

http://bower.io/search/?q=CornucopiaScorecards

does not yield any result.

How can

     bower install CornucopiaScorecards --save

work?

--Hannes

On 6/17/15, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I finished the little web app which inspired my recent questions. It was
>> present for my wife...
>>
>> In the U.S., most chickens used for egg production are treated in a way,
>> which besides being morally questionable, seems to have a negative effect
>> on
>> their nutrition and taste. Consequently, people (like my wife and I) have
>> become more committed to being informed about where their eggs come from.
>>
>> Enter cornucopia.org... They score many well-known egg suppliers on a
>> variety of points and then boil them down (pun intended ;)) to a 1-5
>> rating.
>> The problem is that it's a bit unwieldy to scroll through ~150 suppliers
>> in
>> the giant HTML table on cornucopia.org.
>>
>> So I scraped their webpage into json, wrote a model in Pharo, and then
>> ported it to Amber with a thin Boootstrap/jquery-ui wrapper on top.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> http://seandenigris.com/eggscores/
>
> Cool!  And it looks nice as well.  Oh, and it's responsive too!  Good
> job :)
>
> Cheers,
> Nico
> --
> Nicolas Petton
> http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [ANN]: Cornucopia Scorecards

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Hannes Hirzel wrote
BTW did you register it in bower.json as a library?
No, I didn't know that I could/should and I don't know how! I just manually install by cloning the git repo...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN]: Cornucopia Scorecards

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
I don't know how!
After reading http://bower.io/docs/creating-packages/#register , I tried `bower register cornucopia-scorecards https://github.com/seandenigris/cornucopia-scorecards`, `bower install cornucopia-scorecards` "worked" in that it installed a bunch of stuff without communicating an error, but for one thing it didn't install index.html. I guess that's because it's in "library mode" and bower.json includes `ignore: [...'/*.html']`. So how does one use an Amber project as a library? Is there a doc somewhere?
Cheers,
Sean