[ANN] Cruiser: A Pharo app packager

Vincent.Blondeau

Hi Pharoers!

I pleased to announce you the first release of Cruiser: a tool to package your Pharo applications. The idea is to quickly convert an application from a development environment to a production one. A production environment means:

  • No writing on the disk
  • No access to the source code (by the shortcuts, debugger,...)
  • No error displaying on the interface
  • The only thing accessible is the user application

I let you discover it on: https://github.com/VincentBlondeau/Cruiser

Do not hesitate to ask me questions or contribute to improve it!

Cheers,

Vincent Blondeau
Software Engineer, Software and Controls | Global Product Group
Desk +1 510.572.7499

Lam Research Corporation
4650 Cushing Pkwy, Fremont, CA 94538 USA | www.lamresearch.com

Connect with Lam Research: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

NOTICE: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.

Re: [ANN] Cruiser: A Pharo app packager

Tudor Girba-2
Very cool. Thanks!

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
 Tomorrow is a possibility.
 Today is a challenge."

Re: [ANN] Cruiser: A Pharo app packager

Denis Kudriashov
Very nice tool.
Thanks Vincent

Hi Pharoers!

I pleased to announce you the first release of Cruiser: a tool to package your Pharo applications. The idea is to quickly convert an application from a development environment to a production one. A production environment means:

  • No writing on the disk
  • No access to the source code (by the shortcuts, debugger,...)
  • No error displaying on the interface
  • The only thing accessible is the user application

I let you discover it on: https://github.com/VincentBlondeau/Cruiser

Do not hesitate to ask me questions or contribute to improve it!

Cheers,

Vincent Blondeau
Software Engineer, Software and Controls | Global Product Group
Desk <a href="tel:(510)%20572-7499" value="+15105727499" target="_blank">+1 510.572.7499

Lam Research Corporation
4650 Cushing Pkwy, Fremont, CA 94538 USA | www.lamresearch.com

Connect with Lam Research: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

NOTICE: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.

Re: [ANN] Cruiser: A Pharo app packager

Julien Delplanque-2
Really nice.

I’ll definitely try it.

Thanks!

Julien

---
Julien Delplanque
Doctorant à l’Université de Lille 1
Bâtiment B 40, Avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq
Numéro de téléphone: +333 59 35 86 40

4650 Cushing Pkwy, Fremont, CA 94538 USA | <a href="x-msg://44/www.lamresearch.com" style="color: rgb(149, 79, 114); text-decoration: underline;" class="">www.lamresearch.com

Connect with Lam Research: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

NOTICE: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.

Re: [ANN] Cruiser: A Pharo app packager

Hans Baveco

Very nice and useful! I would like to try it on an application I have in a 6.1 image. Should that be possible? How to install the package, without using iceberg?

I tried to install it with

Metacello new

    baseline: 'Cruiser';

    repository: 'github://VincentBlondeau/Cruiser';

    load

but that did not work,

thanks, Hans

NOTICE: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.

Re: [ANN] Cruiser: A Pharo app packager

Vincent.Blondeau

Hi Hans!

I got the same issue. But, I warn you that it is not made to be used under Pharo6.1. Some features for readonly images are not backported, e.g., you will not be able to get rid of the source files because of the UFFI. I advise you to deactivate the Readonly feature group if you want to use it.

It is a filetree format repository, so you can load it with:

Metacello new

  baseline: 'Cruiser';

  repository: 'github://vincentblondeau/cruiser:master/src';

  load.

Then proceed normally, expect that some files will not be deleted in the packaged application and that the readonly image is not available.

But all the other features seems to work fine! Tell me if they do not

Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

NOTICE: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.

Re: [ANN] Cruiser: A Pharo app packager

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi vincent

Cool

can we
- remove the menu
- define new action on error
-- like zip the stack
-- send an email?

- Do you generate a kind of bat?
- rename of the image?
- hide the fact that it is a pharo image/exec?

Stef

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 8:29 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi guys

what do you expect from a deploy app?

@vincent
- can you block resize of the main window

It should be possible, but it is not yet implemented: https://github.com/VincentBlondeau/Cruiser/issues/1

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 9:02 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi vincent

Cool

can we

- remove the menu

Which one? The world one the answer is yes

- define new action on error

-- like zip the stack

- Do you generate a kind of bat?

Not yet, https://github.com/VincentBlondeau/Cruiser/issues/3

- rename of the image?

Yes

- hide the fact that it is a pharo image/exec?

There is a .image file and a .exe but that can be hidden with the .bat file

Vincent

Stef

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 8:29 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Pharoers!

I pleased to announce you the first release of Cruiser: a tool to package your Pharo applications. The idea is to quickly convert an application from a development environment to a production one. A production environment means:

·         No writing on the disk

·         No access to the source code (by the shortcuts, debugger,...)

·         No error displaying on the interface

·         The only thing accessible is the user application

I let you discover it on: https://github.com/VincentBlondeau/Cruiser

Do not hesitate to ask me questions or contribute to improve it!

Cheers,

Vincent Blondeau
Software Engineer, Software and Controls | Global Product Group
Desk <a href="tel:(510)%20572-7499" target="_blank">+1 510.572.7499

Lam Research Corporation
4650 Cushing Pkwy, Fremont, CA 94538 USA | www.lamresearch.com

Connect with Lam Research: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

NOTICE: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.

Re: [ANN] Cruiser: A Pharo app packager

Stephane Ducasse-3
I'm brainstorming:

- The user should be able to specify another icon for the App
- The name of the app

Stef