[ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

[ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

NorbertHartl
Just a note that I moved the repository

It is better suited there. Access to the old URL will still work and being forwarded. Still everyone using the repo should switch the repository URL some day.

Norbert

Re: [ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

Esteban A. Maringolo
Thank you Norbert.

How do to achieve the forwarding of the old repo to the new one?

Esteban A. Maringolo

El mié., 10 oct. 2018 a las 7:37, Norbert Hartl (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

> Just a note that I moved the repository
>
> https://github.com/zweidenker/Cryptography

> https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography
>
> It is better suited there. Access to the old URL will still work and being forwarded. Still everyone using the repo should switch the repository URL some day.
>
> Norbert

Re: [ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

NorbertHartl
If you go on github under settings there is a item „transfer ownership“. The rest is provided by github as long as you do not create a new repository with the same name.

Norbert

> Am 10.10.2018 um 13:47 schrieb Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]>:
>
> Thank you Norbert.
>
> How do to achieve the forwarding of the old repo to the new one?
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo
>

> El mié., 10 oct. 2018 a las 7:37, Norbert Hartl (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>>
>> Just a note that I moved the repository
>>
>> https://github.com/zweidenker/Cryptography

>> https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography
>>
>> It is better suited there. Access to the old URL will still work and being forwarded. Still everyone using the repo should switch the repository URL some day.
>>
>> Norbert

Re: [ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
NorbertHartl wrote
> The rest is provided by github as long as you do not create a new
> repository with the same name.

Can you still fork the transferred repo in your personal account? I wasn't
sure, which is why I didn't handle Artefact this way.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

NorbertHartl
No, that you cannot

> Am 10.10.2018 um 16:36 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
>
> NorbertHartl wrote
>> The rest is provided by github as long as you do not create a new
>> repository with the same name.
>
> Can you still fork the transferred repo in your personal account? I wasn't
> sure, which is why I didn't handle Artefact this way.
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: [ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

EstebanLM
Why not?

> On 10 Oct 2018, at 17:55, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No, that you cannot
>
>> Am 10.10.2018 um 16:36 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> NorbertHartl wrote
>>> The rest is provided by github as long as you do not create a new
>>> repository with the same name.
>>
>> Can you still fork the transferred repo in your personal account? I wasn't
>> sure, which is why I didn't handle Artefact this way.
>>

>> -----
>> Cheers,
>> Sean
>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: [ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

NorbertHartl
Well, you can but then the access is not forwarded anymore to the repo you‘ve transferred. Transferring and forking makes everyone link something they maybe don‘t want. Transferring and creating a new one with the same name brings all request to the former to your new repo which is unlikely to be wanted.

Norbert

> Am 11.10.2018 um 07:49 schrieb Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
>
> Why not?
>
>> On 10 Oct 2018, at 17:55, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No, that you cannot
>>
>>> Am 10.10.2018 um 16:36 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> NorbertHartl wrote
>>>
>>> Can you still fork the transferred repo in your personal account? I wasn't
>>> sure, which is why I didn't handle Artefact this way.
>>>

>>> -----
>>> Cheers,
>>> Sean
>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: [ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

Ben Coman
So this is more a problem for repos that have lived a long time already on github?
It guess it should impede someone using their account as a staging point for migrating from Smalltalkhub projects to a community github repo.

Although an alternate way to consider this is that the forwarding submerges a problem to be forgotten until it causes a mystery problem later on.
Forking the repo back into your account and deleting the "master" branch might be fail-fast way to expose and fix issues.
(emphasis on the "might" - I'm not sure of all the trade-offs)

cheers -ben

On 11 Oct 2018, at 14:21, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes, but you can :)
And if someone points to you copy, he will still have it (just with the possibility of not fetching an updated version).

But he can always fix that by adding the new remote and pulling from there :)

Esteban

Am 11.10.2018 um 14:24 schrieb Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Dude, you need to write that in channel #nitpick Oh, there is no channel with that name? Never mind!

And if someone points to you copy, he will still have it (just with the possibility of not fetching an updated version).

But he can always fix that by adding the new remote and pulling from there :)

I’m not talking about the ability of us. I’m pretty sure everyone can grasp that. I’m talking about invisible change with side effect. I care about such things :P

Norbert

Esteban

Norbert

> Am 11.10.2018 um 07:49 schrieb Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
>
> Why not?
>
>> On 10 Oct 2018, at 17:55, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No, that you cannot
>>
>>> Am 10.10.2018 um 16:36 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> NorbertHartl wrote
>>>
>>> Can you still fork the transferred repo in your personal account? I wasn't
>>> sure, which is why I didn't handle Artefact this way.
>>>

>>> -----
>>> Cheers,
>>> Sean
>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: [ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Ben Coman wrote
> It guess it should impede someone using their account as a staging point
> for migrating from Smalltalkhub projects to a community github repo.

Two possible options:
1. (maybe the cleanest and what I did for Artefact) - create a repo under
one's own account, which can then be pulled to the canonical and deleted.
2. (not tested) - create a repo with a different name (e.g.
"Artefact-Contribution") to be transferred and renamed (e.g. to just
"Artefact") under the proper organization. The question is whether one can
then create an "Artefect" under their own user.

#2 feels too clever. #1 is only a tiny bit more work. But certainly there
should be a decent sized group of users in Pharo-contributions or wherever
else we will be accepting these or there will be a bottleneck that will
discourage such efforts...

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [ANN] Cryptography moved to pharo-contributions

Ben Coman
Sorry, I missed a   >>NOT<<    there...

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 22:00, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ben Coman wrote
> It guess it should >>NOT<< impede someone using their account as a staging point
> for migrating from Smalltalkhub projects to a community github repo.

Two possible options:
1. (maybe the cleanest and what I did for Artefact) - create a repo under
one's own account, which can then be pulled to the canonical and deleted.

Yes. That is what I meant.  They repo doesn't stay under your account long enough to get caught up in Metacello references.

2. (not tested) - create a repo with a different name (e.g.
"Artefact-Contribution") to be transferred and renamed (e.g. to just
"Artefact") under the proper organization. The question is whether one can
then create an "Artefect" under their own user.

I don't think that gains much more than my suggestion to delete the "master" branch from the repo under your account once its been adopted by its new canonical location.
Its (generally) only the master branch that is referenced with Metacello. So that case and your case (2.) fail Metacello the same way, i.e.  that a good thing

#2 feels too clever. #1 is only a tiny bit more work. But certainly there
should be a decent sized group of users in Pharo-contributions or wherever
else we will be accepting these or there will be a bottleneck that will
discourage such efforts...

Possible option 3.  An idea crossed my mind to soften the transition to a read-only Smalltalkhub.
At the time that is done, perhaps a github organisation "Smalltalkhub" could be created
and some scripts scrape all public Smalltalkhub repos under that organisation.

In case two users have the same named Smalltalkhub repo, these could be combined into one github repo with a branch named for each user.

Of course that itself would take some effort, but cumulatively less effort overall for the community than every individual doing it themselves, and
leaving nothing behind might make it feasible to turn Smalltalkhub off altogether another year later.

btw, thank you to those who provided Smalltalkhub.  It filled an important role for a time.

cheers -ben