[ANN][Dev-Images] May 2009 versions

Damien Cassou
Hi,

I've just uploaded new dev and web images based on
Squeak3.9.1-7075, Squeak3.10.2-7179 and Pharo0.1-10303.

More information and download:
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st/Smalltalk/squeak-dev
Pharo-based images can be downloaded at:
http://pharo-project.org/download

Download statistics at
http://damiencassou.dabbledb.com/publish/dev-imagesdownloads

Changes in this version:
---------------------------

- Pharo images are based on version 10303
- OmniBrowser changes (by David Röthlisberger)
  - Heavily improved performance for browser updates after
recompilations (Alex, David)
  - Reorganized menus for packages, classes, methods
  - New history button providing list of forward/backard history items (Simon)
  - Fixed protocol browser (Michal)
  - Minor layout improvings
  - Minor bug corrections

Contained packages:
------------------------

This image contains the following packages (some packages are only in
the squeak-web image):

Aida version 5.6
Algernon version 1.2
AST version 164
AutomaticMethodCategorizer version 0.25
AutomaticMethodCategorizerOB version 0.2
DynamicBindings version 2.7
eCompletion version 0.102
eCompletion-Traits version 0.1
eCompletionOmniBrowser version 0.5
Installer version 4.3
Installer-Core version 4.3.313
Installer-Formats version 4.3.3
Installer-Scripts version 4.3.8
KomHttpServer version 7.0.45
KomServices version 1.19
Magritte-Model version 1.1.1.340
Magritte-Seaside version 1.1.1.284
Magritte-Tests version 1.1.1.149
OB-Enhancements version 0.327
OmniBrowser version 0.447
OmniBrowser-Algernon version 0.5
OmniBrowser-Full version 0.27
OmniBrowser-Morphic version 0.88
OmniBrowser-Refactory version 145
OmniBrowser-Regex version 0.18
OmniBrowser-Standard version 0.406
Pier version current
Pier-Blog version 1.1.1.108
Pier-Documents version 1.1.1.8
Pier-EditorEnh version 1.1.1.17
Pier-Model version 1.1.1.271
Pier-Seaside version 1.1.1.340
Pier-Security version 1.1.1.121
Pier-Tests version 1.1.1.117
Polymorph EventEnhancements version 1.1
Polymorph Geometry version 1.1
Polymorph TaskbarIcons version 1.0
Polymorph ToolBuilder version 1.3
Polymorph Tools Diff version 1.3
Polymorph Widgets version 1.4
Refactoring Core version 48
Refactoring Spelling version 5
RoelTyper version 0.60
RSRSS2 version 2.8.3.11
Scriptaculous version 2.8.3.242
ScriptManager version 0.6
Seaside version 2.8.3.572
Seaside-Adapters-Core version pmm.2.mcz
Seaside-Adapters-Swazoo version 9
Seaside-Squeak-Adapters version pmm.3.mcz
SeasideAdaptersCompatibility version pmm.1.mcz
Shout version 3.15-tween.72
ShoutWorkspace version 1-tween.4
SmaCC runtime version 13
Sport version 2.31
Squeak dev packages version 0.28
Squeak web packages version 0.2
SUnit-improved version 4.0.118
SUnitGUI-improved version 4.0.50
Swazoo version 2.1
Universes version 52
Universes OmniBrowser version 0.38
VBRegex version 1.9
YAXO version 14

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN][Dev-Images] May 2009 versions

Janko Mivšek
Hi Damien, Pharo guys,

Here are my observations on my Linux (openSuse 11.1, KDE):

1. pharo opens in a window smaller than usual, half of Preference
browser is out of borders.

2. swapMouse buttons works again, thanks for that guys! Now just the
automatic platform dependent swap is missing ...

3.copy&paste:

-copy multiple lines from Thunderbird email client and to pharo doesn't
handle line end well. In Pharo the [] is added at the end

-copy multiple lines from Pharo to Thuderbird works correctly

-copy&paste between two Pharo image doesn't work well: paste multiple
images to another Pharo eats line ends!

4. OB Package Browser

- I really like the back/forth button and history, like on web browsers!
- still a bit slow on my 3.2MHz machine
- for search field, it is not quite clear when it starts searching
- inplace help in search field is lost after you search something
- ballon help could help explaining how to search?
- autocomplete search field would be just perfect ...
- or filter like search: you type some letters, after a second of delay
it automatically filter out classes starting with that character.
Something like that... We the web guys are spoiled with such fields,  I
know ... ;)

5.default look&feel, close/min/max buttons

- it would be really nice to us non-Mac users to put those buttons just
the opposite and make their meaning more clear (X for close, etc) I know
 somewhere the skin can be changed, but in so many preferences this is
hard to find even for me, who once already switched it. This both is a
usability problem, you should seriously address it.

In overall the improvements are visible and they looks usable, but to
judge that (like new organization of menus) I need to start working on
Pharo a bit.

Best regards
Janko

Damien Cassou pravi:

> Hi,
>
> I've just uploaded new dev and web images based on
> Squeak3.9.1-7075, Squeak3.10.2-7179 and Pharo0.1-10303.
>
> More information and download:
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st/Smalltalk/squeak-dev
> Pharo-based images can be downloaded at:
> http://pharo-project.org/download
>
> Download statistics at
> http://damiencassou.dabbledb.com/publish/dev-imagesdownloads

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

2009/5/14 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Damien, Pharo guys,

Hi Janko,

> Here are my observations on my Linux (openSuse 11.1, KDE):
>
> 1. pharo opens in a window smaller than usual, half of Preference
> browser is out of borders.

That's my fault. You get the window size I used when building the
image. This has nothing to do with Pharo or the VM and I do not
consider it as a bug but as a feature. I will try to take care of the
size next time. Sorry.

> -copy multiple lines from Thunderbird email client and to pharo doesn't
> handle line end well. In Pharo the [] is added at the end

I confirm that and this is really annoying. I guess that bug came with
the unicode fixes some months ago. Could you please open a bug report?
In fact, in Pharo, when text is pasted, all the new lines caracters
appear as a box instead of as a new line (i.e., the text appears in
just one line with boxes in the middle).

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN][Dev-Images] May 2009 versions

Cameron Sanders-3

See World Menu -> System ... -> Preferences then select Preferences
Browser.
Then either select "windows" in the left-hand pane, and scroll down in
the right hand one until you see "UI Theme".

-cam

On May 14, 2009, at 5:28 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> .default look&feel, close/min/max buttons
>
> - it would be really nice to us non-Mac users to put those buttons
> just
> the opposite and make their meaning more clear (X for close, etc) I
> know
> somewhere the skin can be changed, but in so many preferences this is
> hard to find even for me, who once already switched it. This both is a
> usability problem, you should seriously address it.

Re: [ANN][Dev-Images] May 2009 versions

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Damien,

I fired it up, added a workspace and started to drage same - complete hang.  That's on linux.

Any other takers?

Bill

Re: [ANN][Dev-Images] May 2009 versions

Henrik Sperre Johansen
If you're talking about dragging a window, this is fixed in 304, so
either update (dev image is 303), or switch off
fastDragWindowsForMorphic preference.

Cheers,
Henry

On 14.05.2009 18:18, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Damien,
>
> I fired it up, added a workspace and started to drage same - complete hang.  That's on linux.
>
> Any other takers?
>
> Bill

Re: [ANN][Dev-Images] May 2009 versions

Schwab,Wilhelm K
That was indeed the problem - I am playing catchup and ran across that thread which suddenly sounded familiar.

One thing I do not like is that debugger background color is again pretty much flat white (visary).  The buttons really should float over a different background color, ohterwise, they appear to be suspended in the text and the scrolling state is non-obvious.

Thanks!

Bill