[ANN] Develop in Pharo 9, run on Javascript

[ANN] Develop in Pharo 9, run on Javascript

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Hi everyone,

We have been working on porting PharoJS to Pharo 9 for a while now.
And we managed to reach the end of the tunnel this week.
All PharoJS tests are now green on Pharo 9.

Dave & Noury

Re: [ANN] Develop in Pharo 9, run on Javascript

Stéphane Ducasse
super cool!

On 12 Mar 2021, at 16:16, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone,

We have been working on porting PharoJS to Pharo 9 for a while now.
And we managed to reach the end of the tunnel this week.
All PharoJS tests are now green on Pharo 9.

Dave & Noury
<pharoJsPharo9TestsGreen2021-02-10.jpg>

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: [ANN] Develop in Pharo 9, run on Javascript

Esteban Lorenzano
Thanks Noury and Dave!
I was eager to have it !

(now I need to find the time to do what I wanted to do with it, but that's another story ;) )

Esteban

On Mar 12 2021, at 4:16 pm, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have been working on porting PharoJS to Pharo 9 for a while now.
And we managed to reach the end of the tunnel this week.
All PharoJS tests are now green on Pharo 9.

Dave & Noury

Re: [ANN] Develop in Pharo 9, run on Javascript

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Noury Bouraqadi-2 wrote
> All PharoJS tests are now green on Pharo 9.

Awesome!!!

-----
Cheers,
Sean
Sean

Dave & Noury

France

Re: [ANN] Develop in Pharo 9, run on Javascript

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Moose visualization rely on Pharo graphic libraries, and the underlying primitives. We don't have support for them.  We need a some mapping at least from these primitives to JS ones (canvas).

Noury

Re: [ANN] Develop in Pharo 9, run on Javascript

Guillermo Polito
This is cool :)

Noury, would you mind sharing what were the main “issues” in the migration?
If you have interesting tips we could see how to make them rewrite rules or add them into a guide in the wiki.

Thanks,

> El 15 mar 2021, a las 14:40, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> Moose visualization rely on Pharo graphic libraries, and the underlying primitives. We don't have support for them.  We need a some mapping at least from these primitives to JS ones (canvas).
>
> Noury

Re: [ANN] Develop in Pharo 9, run on Javascript

Noury Bouraqadi-2
In PharoJS, we are able to provide a placeholder for a class upon transpilation. So, if we know which class/method to replace, we have a tool.

But, we don't have a list of stuff requiring specific support/transpilation in PharoJS. And I didn't dig deep enough to list all missing stuff.
Yes, I'm lazy, I use TDD :-)

There's however few things we know are not support (yet)  such thisContext is one of them (No idea how to handle it).

Process and related classes is another another bucket, though we have a plan for it.

Networking faces the same issues as graphics. We need to replace libraries. Note that, as for graphics we can use JS libraries, but we loose the benefit of pharo compatibility.

Noury