[ANN] Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

[ANN] Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

Andy Bower-3
Folks,

Hopefully, you'll be pleased to hear that we have now released the free
version of our Dolphin X6 development tool. This is a complete
integrated development environment for building Microsoft Windows™
applications in Smalltalk. We've chosen to call this the Community
Edition as it is free for personal/educational use.

This is the first time for some years that we have had a free version
of Dolphin available (the last was Dolphin 2.1). We are hoping that, by
placing an up-to-date version of a Windows Smalltalk into the hands of
the community, more people will be able to experience the beauty and
richness that comes with programming in this unique language.

Go here to read more about Dolphin Community Edition and to download
the installer.

http://www.object-arts.com/content/navigation/products/dce.html

Existing Dolphin Professional users should also note that this release
also includes an update to version 6.02 of the Pro software too. This
cannot be installed using Live Update so you will need to download the
full installer and unlock it with your existing serial number. The
changes in this update are relatively minor and can be reviewed here:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/Update/Dolphin/6.0/Professional/PL2.htm

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Object Arts Ltd

Re: [ANN] Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

Esteban A. Maringolo-3
Andy Bower escribió:
> Folks,
> Hopefully, you'll be pleased to hear that we have now released the free
> version of our Dolphin X6 development tool. This is a complete
> integrated development environment for building Microsoft Windows™
> applications in Smalltalk. We've chosen to call this the Community
> Edition as it is free for personal/educational use.

"Soon soon"!! ;-)
Thank you Object-Arts.

> This is the first time for some years that we have had a free version
> of Dolphin available (the last was Dolphin 2.1). We are hoping that, by
> placing an up-to-date version of a Windows Smalltalk into the hands of
> the community, more people will be able to experience the beauty and
> richness that comes with programming in this unique language.

I hope the benefits of this generous act give a reward to Object-Arts.

Definitively this will be good for the Smalltalk community.

Best regards,

--
Esteban.

Re: [ANN] Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

John Keenan-4
I have two questions regarding the installation:

 1) After installation a reboot is required. Why exactly is this?

 2) What was used to create the installation itself?

John

Re: [ANN] Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

Sean M-4
> Hopefully, you'll be pleased to hear that we have now released the free
> version of our Dolphin X6 development tool. This is a complete
> integrated development environment for building Microsoft WindowsT
> applications in Smalltalk. We've chosen to call this the Community
> Edition as it is free for personal/educational use.

F*** YEAH!

Great work. Congratulations!

Re: Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

hboon@motionobj.com
It would be good if there is a page comparing the differences in
features between the DCE and Pro versions.

--
HweeBoon

Re: Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

bendict101
This may be what you were looking for:
http://www.object-arts.com/content/navigation/products/dpro.html

[hidden email] wrote:
> It would be good if there is a page comparing the differences in
> features between the DCE and Pro versions.
>
> --
> HweeBoon

Re: [ANN] Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Andy,

> Hopefully, you'll be pleased to hear that we have now released the free
> version of our Dolphin X6 development tool. This is a complete
> integrated development environment for building Microsoft Windows™
> applications in Smalltalk. We've chosen to call this the Community
> Edition as it is free for personal/educational use.

Congratulations and thanks!  This lowers a barrier to exposing graduate
students to Dolphin.  Currently I am working with a student who is more
of a spreadsheet and matlab guy, but it's nice to have a free option
just in case.  To date, he has done some workspace scripting and took to
it fairly well, but was not so absorbed that I would ask my chairman or
the student to buy a license for him to work independently.  I won't try
to impose my interests on him, but the occaisional "It's your
dissertation, do x with a free Smalltalk" is legal.

Dumb question: I noticed a separate documentation download, which is
great.  Will the installer wipe out any such unzip/overwrite updates?

Thanks!!

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: [ANN] Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

Blair McGlashan-3
"John Keenan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:THtCf.38$[hidden email]...
>I have two questions regarding the installation:
>
> 1) After installation a reboot is required. Why exactly is this?

Because the installation has determined that one of the files it wanted to
install was in use. This requires a reboot so that the file can be
overwritten on reboot. Standard for windows installs, and one of the reasons
they tend to recommend closing all applications when installing (which I
must say never do).

> 2) What was used to create the installation itself?

QSetup. We've stopped using InstallSh*&# because it is very expensive, very
complicated, and very bug ridden.

Regards

Blair

Re: [ANN] Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

Steve Taylor-2
Andy Bower wrote:

> Hopefully, you'll be pleased to hear that we have now released the free
> version of our Dolphin X6 development tool.

Excellent move - Smalltalk, sadly, is a minority language these days,
and anything that helps get people exposed to it is good news.

Is it possible to have both D6 Pro and D6 Community installed together?
I want Pro for my own work, and Community to write a game in, with the
intention of distributing the game code as a Smalltalk tutorial.

                      Steve

Re: [ANN] Dolphin Smalltalk Community Edition

Andy Bower-3
Steve,

> Andy Bower wrote:
>
> > Hopefully, you'll be pleased to hear that we have now released the
> > free version of our Dolphin X6 development tool.
>
> Excellent move - Smalltalk, sadly, is a minority language these days,
> and anything that helps get people exposed to it is good news.
>
> Is it possible to have both D6 Pro and D6 Community installed
> together? I want Pro for my own work, and Community to write a game
> in, with the intention of distributing the game code as a Smalltalk
> tutorial.

Yes. Simply install Dolphin once (the installer for DPRO and DCE is the
same) and then run Fresh Install twice; once with a DPRO serial number
and once with one for DCE. You should end up with two separate images
in your work directory which you can double-click to start the
appropriate edition.

Best regards

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support