[ANN][EPHESTOS] ChronosManager a time managment tool

[ANN][EPHESTOS] ChronosManager a time managment tool

kilon.alios
Hello people, as you may or may not remember I shared a sneak peak of my latest tool for my project Ephestos , a time managment tool I call ChronosManager.

This tool is important for me for 2 reasons
1) Its my first venture into the island of Custom GUIs with Morphic here is how it looks like

chronosmanager01.png

The goal of this tool is to be a next generation for the Pomodoro tool that was available through Catalog/Configuration Browser.
2) My goal is to expand this tool way more than you see into a more advanced time management tool , with several ideas I will reveal in each release.

So for those not familiar with the Pomodoro technique , its quite simple really, the idea is that its best to work taking regular brakes to help relax the mind but also to keep careful track of time to keep away distractions. So we divide our work into tasks , a number of tasks make a daily goal , each task is divided to the actual work time (time limit) and time to relax (brake limit) .

Bare in mind this is a version 0.1 it may contain bugs and issues, right now I forgot to implement a display for the completed tasks but that will be added in the next few days.

The GUI you see in the image is fully expanded the secondary panel can be hidden and the whole GUI can be minimised into a regular taskbar button like all pharo windows but instead of displaying the name of the app it displays useful info like timer and stopwatch time so you can keep it minimised without taking any space from your GUI.

The concept of timer and stopwatch is just about how you want to display the time passed for each task, it makes no diffirence which one you choose the one displays remaining time (timer) of timelimit period or brakelimit period depending in what period you currently are and stopwatch its just moves time forward with similar workflow.

Installation
---------------------

Installing is dead easy just open configuration browser/ catalog browser and load it from there and it will also add a menu entry at the world menu.

Hope you like it much more to come :)

Re: [ANN][EPHESTOS] ChronosManager a time managment tool

Jose San Leandro
It's awesome, and comes in handy as well. On the one hand, I'm a Pomodoro practitioner myself (using Android's Pomodroido). On the other, I'm interested in learning how to build GUIs inside Pharo.

Congrats and thank you

[...]

philippeback
Cool.

I guess you mean "Break Limit" and not "Brake Limit"

Curious to see how you made the digits, and led progress bars.

Is it possible to have it squeezing to a smaller screen real estate area? It is nice but uses a hell of a lot of space.

Phil

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

jfabry

That looks very cool!  Impressive look, very sci-fi and polished, congrats!

On Nov 17, 2015, at 09:00, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello people, as you may or may not remember I shared a sneak peak of my latest tool for my project Ephestos , a time managment tool I call ChronosManager.

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: [ANN][EPHESTOS] ChronosManager a time managment tool

Ben Coman

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello people, as you may or may not remember I shared a sneak peak of my latest tool for my project Ephestos , a time managment tool I call ChronosManager.

Looking really sweet. I'll try it soon.

btw, I see a few people here misusing "brake" instead of "break". Here is the best explanation I could find...
http://www.really-learn-english.com/break-vs-brake.html
   "a break is a rest, or time off from work or study."

cheers -ben

Re: [ANN][EPHESTOS] ChronosManager a time managment tool

kilon.alios
"It's awesome, and comes in handy as well. On the one hand, I'm a Pomodoro practitioner myself (using Android's Pomodroido). On the other, I'm interested in learning how to build GUIs inside Pharo.

Congrats and thank you"

I am so glad you like and find it useful. Yes I have found pomodor a very simple technique that helps me focus on my work without getting too tired.

I will be documenting how to build Custom guis with Pharo using pillar and generating html and pdf outputs , its very likely I will be making my own GUI API called Morpheas to simplify the process of customisation. You can focus on ChrGlowButtonM (M stands for Morph) which offers a nice overview of how I do what I do , I also use Peter's IconFactory to convert my images to those PNG classes that have the image data as method source. Big thanks to Peter for that :)

"Cool.

I guess you mean "Break Limit" and not "Brake Limit"

Yes this has been fixed , after it was reported to me , I also fixed an issue with the pharo white theme.

"Is it possible to have it squeezing to a smaller screen real estate area? It is nice but uses a hell of a lot of space."

Have you tried it ? My idea is that it will be possible to have it minimized all time and still see the info you want so basically as it is it can take up to zero space ;)

I will be replacing also the thumbnail of the taskbar (displayed when you hover the mouse over the taskbar button ) to display more info which cannot fit in the small size of the taskbar button. Also the secondary panel , that blue square is collapsable and optional only if you want to change your settings.

"That looks very cool!  Impressive look, very sci-fi and polished, congrats!" thanks that was my goal to make it look sci fi and  it feels great if it feels like that for you :)

"Looking really sweet. I'll try it soon.

btw, I see a few people here misusing "brake" instead of "break". Here is the best explanation I could find...
http://www.really-learn-english.com/break-vs-brake.html
   "a break is a rest, or time off from work or study.""

thanks , I learned something new today on spelling with your help :)

"
Curious to see how you made the digits, and led progress bars.
"

sorry forgot to answer this

the digits are just a stringMorph with a custom true type font which i distribute together with ChronosManager. If you go to github-cache and in the folder of the project you will find it in the fonts subfolder. Github integration of pharo is very cool and allows me to distribute any binary asset including fonts. I may use it also for distributing images and pdfs so that by getting ChronosManager you get everything without any need for additional downloads.

You can see how I do this viewing ChronosManager class >> defaultFontPointSize:

The seconds indicator, led progress bars, is just a series of png images with transparency that the central gui switch between them while stepping.

I forgot to say that I made the graphics with Blender and I can customise everything very easily via Blender . I will be using Roassal in the future for more dynamic customisable graphics but overall I am very happy with how Morphic handles transparent PNGs. Every element you see of the GUI is a PNG image with transparent background.  The process is super simple.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 3:23 PM Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stephan Eggermont-3
That's one fancy looking UI. Well done.

The glow effect is really nice, as are the seconds LEDs and the embossing.

I was somewhat confused by the enabling/disabling of the stopwatch

In the pomodoro timer I use you can enter a description of where you are
working on. Do you plan to add something like that?

I noticed you're performing actions on mouse down not up.

Stephan

Re: [ANN][EPHESTOS] ChronosManager a time managment tool

kilon.alios
and here is a video tutorial of how to use ChronosManager

https://youtu.be/up9cW79S-jA

"That's one fancy looking UI. Well done.

The glow effect is really nice, as are the seconds LEDs and the embossing."

Thanks this was my very first custom GUI graphics so I was learning how to make those things (I had no idea how to make glow with blender when I started or how to animate those leds circularly without creating them one by one) as I was learning Morphic.

"I was somewhat confused by the enabling/disabling of the stopwatch"

Yeah you are not the only one, but these are the challanges of GUI , to create something that makes sense not only to me , but to other users too. Again an area I have a lot to learn.

"
In the pomodoro timer I use you can enter a description of where you are
working on. Do you plan to add something like that?"

I am planning a lot of things for this tool, its not a v 0.1 out of coincidence afterall ;) Descriptions of tasks are one of the things others are

1) Calendar where you can view completed tasks, weekly , monthly and yearly. That also means the addition not only of daily goals, but also monthly and yearly goals.
2) the ability to rate your performance for each task
3) Roassal graphs that show your progress in your work of completing the tasks and the quality of your work compared to your ratings
4) A reward sytem working like an RPG level up system which tracks your progress
5) export your stats to a JSON format that can easily be imported in other images so you dont lose your progress
6) share your progress with others and collaborate on same tasks via google calendar
7) Improving the GUI and offering alternative skins and GUIs to fit the preferences of users
8) the ability to fire up multiple timers at the same time and control them from a single GUI
9) Sharing your tasks with others without leaving the image
10) Alert sounds for breaks
11) Better re-sizing ability that does not rely on halos
12) much more

"I noticed you're performing actions on mouse down not up."

for me its feels more natural for the button to act when pressed than when its released, does that create any issues with pharo ?

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:30 PM Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's one fancy looking UI. Well done.

The glow effect is really nice, as are the seconds LEDs and the embossing.

I was somewhat confused by the enabling/disabling of the stopwatch

In the pomodoro timer I use you can enter a description of where you are
working on. Do you plan to add something like that?

I noticed you're performing actions on mouse down not up.

Stephan

Re: [ANN][EPHESTOS] ChronosManager a time managment tool

stepharo
This is quite cool.
I will have to have a look how you did the led :)
In my game I rescued the LEDMorph but there are a lot uglier :)

May be you should call it v1.0

Stef

Le 18/11/15 02:29, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
[...]

Thanks stef , as I said previously, the leds are just a set of images creating an animation, one for each second.

I add stuff to it all the time, its far from v1.0 and I have a lot more to add before its version 1.0 , I think in a year probably will reach version 1.0.

Today I added alarm sound that fires each time the work time or break time ends. Unfortunately I have not yet found a way to play sound in Ubuntu but it works on both MacOS and Windows :)