[ANN] Easy I18N for Pharo

Torsten Bergmann
Need an easy translation framework for your Pharo application
with no external dependency?

Then check out the I18N project:

  http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/I18N

Docu and examples can be found on the same page, screenshot
is attached.

Bye
T.

i18n.png (45K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Easy I18N for Pharo

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Perfect! Well done & presented (as usual ;-)

The way I see it, that is all there is to it.

I like it that a single image can translate into multiple languages.

I guess some people would also like

String>>#translated
  ^ I18NTranslator defaultTranslator at: self

I assume that the actual storage is open ended to also allow databases and so on ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> Perfect! Well done & presented (as usual ;-)

I18N is nothing fancy, but thanks. Hope it is usefull for others too.

> The way I see it, that is all there is to it.

Yes - at least it solved my basic needs so far and maybe it helps us thinking
about more internationalized applications for Pharo (or I18N the Pharo image
itself)

> I like it that a single image can translate into multiple languages.
>
> I guess some people would also like
>
> String>>#translated
>   ^ I18NTranslator defaultTranslator at: self
>
> I assume that the actual storage is open ended to also allow databases and so on ?

You decide where your translations come from/are loaded from. I use INIFile as it is plain
simple to do.

Internally I18NTranslator  is nothing more than a simple object handling dictionaries. So the
strings usually will be stored with the image (or flushed out and reloaded again at startup).

If necessary the code can be refactored so that multiple storage backends or a
cache can be added. Not on my todo list so far.

Bye
T.

Re: [ANN] Easy I18N for Pharo

HilaireFernandes

Nice for project with a delimited scope.
Problem: you cut yourself from translators aggregated in oneline free
software community. For example https://translations.launchpad.net/drgeo
For DrGeo this is a show stopper.

Hilaire

--