[ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

EstebanLM
Hi,

Today I was bored and not wanting to think too much... but I wanted to do something for Pharo... and I never liked the current Pharo icons, so I took one icon library I really like and changed all needed icons (well... all that I saw).
Here a couple of screen shots:

Of course, I don't think they are perfect (also maybe I didn't pick the best icons), but I think they look a lot better than the older.

If you want to see how they look, this are the packages:

for Pharo 1.3:

for Pharo 1.4:

Then you execute:

ThemeIcons initializeIcons.
World resetWorldMenu.

... and enjoy your new icons :)

btw... this icons are in an open-source license, the EPL: http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
so, maybe –if all agree–, we can add this icons to regular distribution :)

best,
Esteban

Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.05.55.png (59K) Download Attachment
Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.06.20.png (53K) Download Attachment
Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.2.mcz (38K) Download Attachment
Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.4.mcz (37K) Download Attachment

Esteban

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 11 Dec 2011, at 03:15, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Today I was bored and not wanting to think too much... but I wanted to do something for Pharo...

Great initiative!

I personnaly don't like each of them, but these icons form a big, consistent set and make a good modernization of the UI. We should take this as a start and go over all missing ones, and maybe add a few unique once.

Thanks.

Sven

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

Esteban
I know that feeling :)

:)
Now I'm not sure that I would like to carry the Eclipse License around in Pharo :)
What are the other icons sets we could use with a nice license and we do it :).
famfam?

We should clean also the old icons because some are really old.
Thanks for pushing that. I would love to have new icons for Pharo.
Stef

On Dec 11, 2011, at 3:15 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I was bored and not wanting to think too much... but I wanted to do something for Pharo... and I never liked the current Pharo icons, so I took one icon library I really like and changed all needed icons (well... all that I saw).
> Here a couple of screen shots:
>
> <Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.05.55.png>
> <Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.06.20.png>
>
> Of course, I don't think they are perfect (also maybe I didn't pick the best icons), but I think they look a lot better than the older.
>
> If you want to see how they look, this are the packages:
>
> for Pharo 1.3:
>
> <Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.2.mcz>
>
> for Pharo 1.4:
>
> <Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.4.mcz>
>

> Then you execute:
>
> ThemeIcons initializeIcons.
> World resetWorldMenu.
>
> ... and enjoy your new icons :)
>
> btw... this icons are in an open-source license, the EPL: http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
> so, maybe –if all agree–, we can add this icons to regular distribution :)
>
> best,
> Esteban

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

Fernando olivero-2
Hi Esteban, nice work!
For importing the icons you can use the toolset i've developed: it
automates completely the process of importing a complete set of icons
of a given family.

ExternalIconFamily @ squeaksource.
I've used it for importing the Oxygen icon set, and others (you can
google the list for previous related emails).

Fernando

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Esteban
> I know that feeling :)
>
> :)
> Now I'm not sure that I would like to carry the Eclipse License around in Pharo :)
> What are the other icons sets we could use with a nice license and we do it :).
> famfam?
>
> We should clean also the old icons because some are really old.
> Thanks for pushing that. I would love to have new icons for Pharo.
> Stef
>

> On Dec 11, 2011, at 3:15 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today I was bored and not wanting to think too much... but I wanted to do something for Pharo... and I never liked the current Pharo icons, so I took one icon library I really like and changed all needed icons (well... all that I saw).
>> Here a couple of screen shots:
>>
>> <Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.05.55.png>
>> <Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.06.20.png>
>>
>> Of course, I don't think they are perfect (also maybe I didn't pick the best icons), but I think they look a lot better than the older.
>>
>> If you want to see how they look, this are the packages:
>>
>> for Pharo 1.3:
>>
>> <Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.2.mcz>
>>
>> for Pharo 1.4:
>>
>> <Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.4.mcz>
>>

>> Then you execute:
>>
>> ThemeIcons initializeIcons.
>> World resetWorldMenu.
>>
>> ... and enjoy your new icons :)
>>
>> btw... this icons are in an open-source license, the EPL: http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
>> so, maybe –if all agree–, we can add this icons to regular distribution :)
>>
>> best,
>> Esteban

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

EstebanLM
Hi Sven,

yes... first consecuence of this is that I will be able to produce a list of needed icons for pharo...

Other think is that I really don't like the way they are organized... they are all on ThemeIcons class side, and maybe we should have a strategy, to allow us to switch between different iconsets...

anyway... this is a first step, I think a goo one :)

cheers,
Esteban

El 11/12/2011, a las 6:04a.m., Sven Van Caekenberghe escribió:

> On 11 Dec 2011, at 03:15, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
>> Today I was bored and not wanting to think too much... but I wanted to do something for Pharo...
>
> Great initiative!
>
> I personnaly don't like each of them, but these icons form a big, consistent set and make a good modernization of the UI. We should take this as a start and go over all missing ones, and maybe add a few unique once.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sven

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

EstebanLM
Hi Stef,

yeah... I know the license issue. Real problem is that eclipse-icons is the unique icon set I know developed for a programming environment (even if it is a ugly one like java, eclipse is a really interesting platform to take ideas from –see glamour, if nothing else :) Because of this, we can find in eclipse-icons almost everything we need (maybe doing some extrapolations, but well... nothing is perfect ;)

Other icon sets (of those I know, like oxygen, tango, etc) are thought for windows desktops (ubuntu, kde), and they don't fit well in Pharo (at least I can't think in a way of doing they fit in).

Anyway... I know the license issue is important, I just would love to see our Pharo with a modern icon set (current icons are just not good at all: too old, too childish –which was a good thing at a time, but not anymore).

best,
Esteban

El 11/12/2011, a las 6:38a.m., Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> Esteban
> I know that feeling :)
>
> :)
> Now I'm not sure that I would like to carry the Eclipse License around in Pharo :)
> What are the other icons sets we could use with a nice license and we do it :).
> famfam?
>
> We should clean also the old icons because some are really old.
> Thanks for pushing that. I would love to have new icons for Pharo.
> Stef
>

> On Dec 11, 2011, at 3:15 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today I was bored and not wanting to think too much... but I wanted to do something for Pharo... and I never liked the current Pharo icons, so I took one icon library I really like and changed all needed icons (well... all that I saw).
>> Here a couple of screen shots:
>>
>> <Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.05.55.png>
>> <Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.06.20.png>
>>
>> Of course, I don't think they are perfect (also maybe I didn't pick the best icons), but I think they look a lot better than the older.
>>
>> If you want to see how they look, this are the packages:
>>
>> for Pharo 1.3:
>>
>> <Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.2.mcz>
>>
>> for Pharo 1.4:
>>
>> <Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.4.mcz>
>>

>> Then you execute:
>>
>> ThemeIcons initializeIcons.
>> World resetWorldMenu.
>>
>> ... and enjoy your new icons :)
>>
>> btw... this icons are in an open-source license, the EPL: http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
>> so, maybe –if all agree–, we can add this icons to regular distribution :)
>>
>> best,
>> Esteban

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

EstebanLM
Hi Fernando,

oops... I forgot your icon importer, sorry :P

I would like –for a future– to integrate it to pharo and replace current ThemeIcons with an icon strategy based on your package... maybe that is the best "future scenario" for icons.

best,
Esteban

El 11/12/2011, a las 8:49a.m., Fernando Olivero escribió:

> Hi Esteban, nice work!
> For importing the icons you can use the toolset i've developed: it
> automates completely the process of importing a complete set of icons
> of a given family.
>
> ExternalIconFamily @ squeaksource.
> I've used it for importing the Oxygen icon set, and others (you can
> google the list for previous related emails).
>
> Fernando
>
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Esteban
>> I know that feeling :)
>>
>> :)
>> Now I'm not sure that I would like to carry the Eclipse License around in Pharo :)
>> What are the other icons sets we could use with a nice license and we do it :).
>> famfam?
>>
>> We should clean also the old icons because some are really old.
>> Thanks for pushing that. I would love to have new icons for Pharo.
>> Stef
>>

>> On Dec 11, 2011, at 3:15 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Today I was bored and not wanting to think too much... but I wanted to do something for Pharo... and I never liked the current Pharo icons, so I took one icon library I really like and changed all needed icons (well... all that I saw).
>>> Here a couple of screen shots:
>>>
>>> <Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.05.55.png>
>>> <Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.06.20.png>
>>>
>>> Of course, I don't think they are perfect (also maybe I didn't pick the best icons), but I think they look a lot better than the older.
>>>
>>> If you want to see how they look, this are the packages:
>>>
>>> for Pharo 1.3:
>>>
>>> <Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.2.mcz>
>>>
>>> for Pharo 1.4:
>>>
>>> <Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.4.mcz>
>>>

>>> Then you execute:
>>>
>>> ThemeIcons initializeIcons.
>>> World resetWorldMenu.
>>>
>>> ... and enjoy your new icons :)
>>>
>>> btw... this icons are in an open-source license, the EPL: http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
>>> so, maybe –if all agree–, we can add this icons to regular distribution :)
>>>
>>> best,
>>> Esteban

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse

On Dec 11, 2011, at 1:59 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi Fernando,
>
> oops... I forgot your icon importer, sorry :P
>
> I would like –for a future– to integrate it to pharo and replace current ThemeIcons with an icon strategy based on your package... maybe that is the best "future scenario" for icons.

Yes esteban could you evaluate the work of fernando and provide an analysis to see if it makes sense for us to integrate it.
Then we build a plan and integrate it.

Stef

> best,
> Esteban
>
> El 11/12/2011, a las 8:49a.m., Fernando Olivero escribió:
>
>> Hi Esteban, nice work!
>> For importing the icons you can use the toolset i've developed: it
>> automates completely the process of importing a complete set of icons
>> of a given family.
>>
>> ExternalIconFamily @ squeaksource.
>> I've used it for importing the Oxygen icon set, and others (you can
>> google the list for previous related emails).
>>
>> Fernando
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Esteban
>>> I know that feeling :)
>>>
>>> :)
>>> Now I'm not sure that I would like to carry the Eclipse License around in Pharo :)
>>> What are the other icons sets we could use with a nice license and we do it :).
>>> famfam?
>>>
>>> We should clean also the old icons because some are really old.
>>> Thanks for pushing that. I would love to have new icons for Pharo.
>>> Stef

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

Ben Coman

The EPL does not seem the same show stopper as the GPL since the Eclipse License and FAQ indicate it is not viral like the GPL.  There is no requirement that an EPL licensed program combined with a non-EPL licensed program requires the combination to be licensed under the EPL as a whole.  In fact it is designed to allow distribution of closed source commercial applications based on it while keeping the common base open source.

FAQ#17 actually says: "When incorporating a portion of a Program licensed under the EPL into my own proprietary product distributed in object code form, can I use a single license for the full product, in other words, covering the portion of the Program plus my own code? Answer: Yes. The object code for the product may be distributed under a single license as long as it references the EPL portion and complies, for that portion, with the terms of the EPL."

Complying with the terms effectively be satisfied by:
1. "sources" be available "just for the icons"
2. Disclaiming warranty and liability - which the MIT already does
3. Assumedly no patent issues arising from inclusion of icons.

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention this list of eclipse icons
http://eclipse-icons.i24.cc/

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
[...]

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Some specific constructive feedback: the ones that "don't work" (IMHO) are the debug and profile icons.  Overall,  great job!

Sven

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Options are good.

oops... I forgot your icon importer, sorry :P

I would like –for a future– to integrate it to pharo and replace current ThemeIcons with an icon strategy based on your package... maybe that is the best "future scenario" for icons.

best,
Esteban

El 11/12/2011, a las 8:49a.m., Fernando Olivero escribió:

> Hi Esteban, nice work!
> For importing the icons you can use the toolset i've developed: it
> automates completely the process of importing a complete set of icons
> of a given family.
>
> ExternalIconFamily @ squeaksource.
> I've used it for importing the Oxygen icon set, and others (you can
> google the list for previous related emails).
>
> Fernando
>
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Esteban
>> I know that feeling :)
>>
>> :)
>> Now I'm not sure that I would like to carry the Eclipse License around in Pharo :)
>> What are the other icons sets we could use with a nice license and we do it :).
>> famfam?
>>
>> We should clean also the old icons because some are really old.
>> Thanks for pushing that. I would love to have new icons for Pharo.
>> Stef
>>

>> On Dec 11, 2011, at 3:15 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Today I was bored and not wanting to think too much... but I wanted to do something for Pharo... and I never liked the current Pharo icons, so I took one icon library I really like and changed all needed icons (well... all that I saw).
>>> Here a couple of screen shots:
>>>
>>> <Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.05.55.png>
>>> <Captura de pantalla 2011-12-10 a la(s) 23.06.20.png>
>>>
>>> Of course, I don't think they are perfect (also maybe I didn't pick the best icons), but I think they look a lot better than the older.
>>>
>>> If you want to see how they look, this are the packages:
>>>
>>> for Pharo 1.3:
>>>
>>> <Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.2.mcz>
>>>
>>> for Pharo 1.4:
>>>
>>> <Eclipse-Icons-EstebanLorenzano.4.mcz>
>>>

>>> Then you execute:
>>>
>>> ThemeIcons initializeIcons.
>>> World resetWorldMenu.
>>>
>>> ... and enjoy your new icons :)
>>>
>>> btw... this icons are in an open-source license, the EPL: http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
>>> so, maybe –if all agree–, we can add this icons to regular distribution :)
>>>
>>> best,
>>> Esteban

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

Sure but we would like to avoid to have more license. I would prefer a CreativeCommons license because it is simple to understand
and is not related to code.

Stef

http://www.famfamfam.com/
?

> Hi Fernando,
>
> oops... I forgot your icon importer, sorry :P
>
> I would like –for a future– to integrate it to pharo and replace current ThemeIcons with an icon strategy based on your package... maybe that is the best "future scenario" for icons.
>
> best,
> Esteban
>
> El 11/12/2011, a las 8:49a.m., Fernando Olivero escribió:
>
>> Hi Esteban, nice work!
>> For importing the icons you can use the toolset i've developed: it
>> automates completely the process of importing a complete set of icons
>> of a given family.
>>
>> ExternalIconFamily @ squeaksource.
>> I've used it for importing the Oxygen icon set, and others (you can
>> google the list for previous related emails).
>>
>> Fernando
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Esteban
>>> I know that feeling :)
>>>
>>> :)
>>> Now I'm not sure that I would like to carry the Eclipse License around in Pharo :)
>>> What are the other icons sets we could use with a nice license and we do it :).
>>> famfam?
>>>
>>> We should clean also the old icons because some are really old.
>>> Thanks for pushing that. I would love to have new icons for Pharo.
>>> Stef

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

Fernando olivero-2
Nice!
As soon as squeaksource is up, i will import them using the icon
importer, so we can give them a try.
Fernando

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.famfamfam.com/
> ?
>

>> Hi Fernando,
>>
>> oops... I forgot your icon importer, sorry :P
>>
>> I would like –for a future– to integrate it to pharo and replace current ThemeIcons with an icon strategy based on your package... maybe that is the best "future scenario" for icons.
>>
>> best,
>> Esteban
>>
>> El 11/12/2011, a las 8:49a.m., Fernando Olivero escribió:
>>
>>> Hi Esteban, nice work!
>>> For importing the icons you can use the toolset i've developed: it
>>> automates completely the process of importing a complete set of icons
>>> of a given family.
>>>
>>> ExternalIconFamily @ squeaksource.
>>> I've used it for importing the Oxygen icon set, and others (you can
>>> google the list for previous related emails).
>>>
>>> Fernando

Re: [ANN] Eclipse Icons for Pharo

EstebanLM
cool, then you can send to me?
I will play with the idea of decouple ThemeIcons from UITheme (to have a separated strategy like UIThemeIcons, who can be replaced without replacing UITheme).

btw... I looked at those icons, and while their are nice, I still don't found correct matching icons for a couple of important tools we use. Most important ones I remember now:
1) System Browser
2) Debugger (or "Hot Coder", as Doru prefer to say :)

any ideas we'll be welcome

Cheers,
Esteban