[ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
If you don't know EventRecorderMorph and HandMorphForReplay (which I didn't and started to re-implement), they are super cool.

1. DoIt: "EventRecorderMorph new openInWorld"
2. Click "record" in the GUI
3. Perform some UI actions
4. Click "play" in the GUI

Your keyboard and mouse actions will be replayed in the World! I know right?! Amazing. This could be really cool for live documentation and executable screencasts :)

It's just a straight port now, but I'd like to decouple the recorder and replay hand so that any event source can be used.

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~PharoExtras/EventRecorder

Initial commit: port EventRecorderMorph and HandMorphForReplay (originally in MorphicExtras-AdditionalSupport) to Pharo 3.0
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
That could be also cool for testing UI :P
Yes!!!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
    Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'PharoExtras' project: 'EventRecorder';
        package: 'EventRecorder';
        load.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
And here's a short screencast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZIDs0mukpM
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

Torsten Bergmann
I added an icon, menu item for world menu and cleaned up a little bit.
Have no commit rights on PharoExtras - so attached is the new version.

A config for config browser and Pharo like gray buttons would be
cool to have too.

Thanks
T.

EventRecorder-TorstenBergmann.3.mcz (24K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

Goubier Thierry
Cool! This is really interesting to have.

Executable screencasts... I'll do that next time for teaching with Pharo :)

Thierry

Le 13/01/2014 04:14, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :

> If you don't know EventRecorderMorph and HandMorphForReplay (which I didn't
> and started to re-implement), they are super cool.
>
> 1. DoIt: "EventRecorderMorph new openInWorld"
> 2. Click "record" in the GUI
> 3. Perform some UI actions
> 4. Click "play" in the GUI
>
> Your keyboard and mouse actions will be replayed in the World! I know
> right?! Amazing. This could be really cool for live documentation and
> executable screencasts :)
>
> It's just a straight port now, but I'd like to decouple the recorder and
> replay hand so that any event source can be used.
>
> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~PharoExtras/EventRecorder
>
> Initial commit: port EventRecorderMorph and HandMorphForReplay (originally
> in MorphicExtras-AdditionalSupport) to Pharo 3.0
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Thierry Goubier
CEA list
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

roberto.minelli@usi.ch
I am working on a similar thing (without the replaying feature).
I am interested in profiling (i.e., recording) some morphic events.

I will look into this existing recorder, thanks for sharing.

Le 13/01/2014 10:09, [hidden email] a écrit :
> I am working on a similar thing (without the replaying feature).
> I am interested in profiling (i.e., recording) some morphic events.

I use a tracing framework I wrote a long time ago for things like that.
It's called Jejak (http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~ThierryGoubier/Jejak) and
has the ability to trace and record events from running code, even
critical code like Morphic.

I'm updating it for Pharo3 at the moment. And it would be great to use
the new Opal facilities for doing so... at the moment, it's working by
code rewriting (which is a very portable approach).

Thierry

> I will look into this existing recorder, thanks for sharing.

> On Jan 13, 2014, at 9:03 AM, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Cool! This is really interesting to have.
>>
>> Executable screencasts... I'll do that next time for teaching with Pharo :)
>>
>> Thierry
>>
>> Le 13/01/2014 04:14, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :
>>> If you don't know EventRecorderMorph and HandMorphForReplay (which I didn't
>>> and started to re-implement), they are super cool.
>>>
>>> 1. DoIt: "EventRecorderMorph new openInWorld"
>>> 2. Click "record" in the GUI
>>> 3. Perform some UI actions
>>> 4. Click "play" in the GUI
>>>
>>> Your keyboard and mouse actions will be replayed in the World! I know
>>> right?! Amazing. This could be really cool for live documentation and
>>> executable screencasts :)
>>>
>>> It's just a straight port now, but I'd like to decouple the recorder and
>>> replay hand so that any event source can be used.
>>>
>>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~PharoExtras/EventRecorder
>>>
>>> Initial commit: port EventRecorderMorph and HandMorphForReplay (originally
>>> in MorphicExtras-AdditionalSupport) to Pharo 3.0
>>>

>>> -----
>>> Cheers,
>>> Sean
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Thierry Goubier
>> CEA list
>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>> France
>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

kilon.alios
Guys you are awesome, thanks for this. I can use this for my documentation project (Prometheas), live documentation that show you how to get things done by replaying commands . This is too good to be true. Though with the rate new libraries have been poping up lately you will actually write the code for me :D

I am thinking in the right side a small area that will work as a tooltip displaying a paragraph of documentation with a Try me button to replay recorded tutorials, preferably with the showing code as example.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Phone/Fax: <a href="tel:%2B33%20%280%29%201%2069%2008%2032%2092" value="+33169083292" target="_blank">+33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Le 13/01/2014 13:53, kilon alios a écrit :
> Guys you are awesome, thanks for this. I can use this for my
> documentation project (Prometheas), live documentation that show you how
> to get things done by replaying commands . This is too good to be true.
> Though with the rate new libraries have been poping up lately you will
> actually write the code for me :D
>
> I am thinking in the right side a small area that will work as a tooltip
> displaying a paragraph of documentation with a Try me button to replay
> recorded tutorials, preferably with the showing code as example.

That would be a very interesting use of it :)

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I am working on the same thing. I have a window that shows all the available shortcuts in the current context. The next step is to use EventRecorderMorph to show screencasts for the different commands. I wrote my own screencast implementation, but I like EventRecorderMorph much better because it uses a real hand morph. Now I will integrate it with the UI script class I have, so that you can programmatically describe the events instead of recording them manually. An outstanding problem is how to scale the pasteupmorph so you can have any size screencast you want whole still working. We should synchronize...

[...]

http://forum.world.st/ANN-EventRecorderMorph-Port-to-3-0-tp4736258p4736364.html
To unsubscribe from [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0, click here.
NAML
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

kilon.alios
I wanted to implement this with Athens , and now I am looking into Roassal. Thats my only requirement since pharo is moving towards Athens anyway. I am also interested into Spec but I have no idea how the love triangle of Roassal - Spec - Athens would work out for visualising documentation. But I am not so sure about Spec because I want this to be portable to Amber too if possible.

Important features to have for the recorder would be to a) set the speed of playback b) skip certain actions on playback like the whole movement of the mouse , etc c) visualise events like pressing a key on the keyboard.

I am also reconsidering the library made by I think Torsten (correct me If I am wrong) for Online Documentation of Pharo so that clicking on the tooltip will open the web browser and send you to the web page containing a full documentation of the thing the tooltip was point to. I wanted to do this inside Pharo but with the rate I am progressing I rather use his approach since web is excellent for documenting stuff.

Afterall we all want more or less similar things, some compromises have to be made and code must be reused as much as possible to take advantage of the overall effort. Something is better than nothing.

On 13 Jan 2014, at 13:57, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am also interested into Spec but I have no idea how the love triangle of Roassal - Spec - Athens would work out for visualising documentation. But I am not so sure about Spec because I want this to be portable to Amber too if possible.

In the Roassal2 repository, there is a Roassal2Spec package.

It brings a Spec morphic taking a script as input, and rendering the result of the script.

About Amber, it’s planned to port Spec to Amber, but you know, it requires some time :)

Ben

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

kilon.alios
Thats ok Ben I am actually moving very slowly with this, because I dont have much free time and I am still spending most of the time learning pharo and its libraries. I am not in any hurry. For me its enough that you say its a goal to port to Amber.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:34 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13 Jan 2014, at 13:57, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am also interested into Spec but I have no idea how the love triangle of Roassal - Spec - Athens would work out for visualising documentation. But I am not so sure about Spec because I want this to be portable to Amber too if possible.

In the Roassal2 repository, there is a Roassal2Spec package.

It brings a Spec morphic taking a script as input, and rendering the result of the script.

About Amber, it’s planned to port Spec to Amber, but you know, it requires some time :)

Ben

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

Tudor Girba-2
Wow, this is beautiful.

Thanks for doing this!

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [ANN]: EventRecorderMorph Port to 3.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tudor Girba-2 wrote
Thanks for doing this!
My pleasure. The real thanks go to Ted Kaehler, John Malone, Leandro Caniglia, Valeria Murgia, Dan Ingalls and others who wrote it. I just changed two methods ;-)
Cheers,
Sean