[ANN] Example MacOS X Development

Andre Schnoor
Hi all,

Mac developers might be interested to have a look and give some feedback.

We recently released a native Aqua application. If anyone is curious how
it looks, feels, performs and sounds: A free demo is available for
download. It runs on Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5) as a universal
binary. The product might be an example of what can be done with VW in
the realms of desktop software on native MacOS X, if one goes through
the effort of extending the current level of platform integration.

I couldn't resist and begun resembling Apple's Aqua design inside the
portable Chimera L&F framework. Especially regarding dialog layout, menu
behavior and fonts. The look is slightly different on Leopard, BTW.
UIPainter can not yet distinguish between action buttons and dialog
buttons, hence I needed to sacrifice the blue Aqua drops in favor of
slick small action buttons for now. Perhaps someone knows of a simple
way to extend the UIPainter palette?

Although the gain of graphics performance (800%) is best noticed when
working with the IDE (lots of text and nested tabs), a graphical
benchmark might still give an impression: Thumb-scrolling 40,000
polygons on a MacBook was not a problem ;-)

The product implements Mac-faithful menus and keyboard behavior. The
native Mac menu bar dynamically mirrors plain Smalltalk menus, for
instance, which is very easy to maintain (i.e. enablement, dynamic
labels, submenus and keyboard shortcuts "just work" as expected on a
Mac). There are more add-ons like native print dialogs, floating tool
panels, double-click to open documents, etc, that add to the overall
user experience.

Overview page:
http://tinyurl.com/2lszck

To get an impression without exploring the demo, there's also a video.
Although it shows a different, more complex application, the general
look and user experience is the same:
http://tinyurl.com/2s3knp

Should anyone try the demo and encounter technical issues, please notify
me off list. Any feedback is appreciated. AFAIK, it does not randomly
quit on Leopard, BTW, but I've changed so many things with the VM, this
is likely not representative.

Andre

Re: [ANN] Example MacOS X Development

Maarten Mostert-2
Wow.. Very impressive !!!

You really are really setting a standard here which will be difficult to
catch up with.

If this is all going to be available and supported we have long years ahead.

Thanks,

Maarten,

Andre Schnoor a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Mac developers might be interested to have a look and give some feedback.
>
> We recently released a native Aqua application. If anyone is curious
> how it looks, feels, performs and sounds: A free demo is available for
> download. It runs on Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5) as a universal
> binary. The product might be an example of what can be done with VW in
> the realms of desktop software on native MacOS X, if one goes through
> the effort of extending the current level of platform integration.
>
> I couldn't resist and begun resembling Apple's Aqua design inside the
> portable Chimera L&F framework. Especially regarding dialog layout,
> menu behavior and fonts. The look is slightly different on Leopard,
> BTW. UIPainter can not yet distinguish between action buttons and
> dialog buttons, hence I needed to sacrifice the blue Aqua drops in
> favor of slick small action buttons for now. Perhaps someone knows of
> a simple way to extend the UIPainter palette?
>
> Although the gain of graphics performance (800%) is best noticed when
> working with the IDE (lots of text and nested tabs), a graphical
> benchmark might still give an impression: Thumb-scrolling 40,000
> polygons on a MacBook was not a problem ;-)
>
> The product implements Mac-faithful menus and keyboard behavior. The
> native Mac menu bar dynamically mirrors plain Smalltalk menus, for
> instance, which is very easy to maintain (i.e. enablement, dynamic
> labels, submenus and keyboard shortcuts "just work" as expected on a
> Mac). There are more add-ons like native print dialogs, floating tool
> panels, double-click to open documents, etc, that add to the overall
> user experience.
>
> Overview page:
> http://tinyurl.com/2lszck
>
> To get an impression without exploring the demo, there's also a video.
> Although it shows a different, more complex application, the general
> look and user experience is the same:
> http://tinyurl.com/2s3knp
>
> Should anyone try the demo and encounter technical issues, please
> notify me off list. Any feedback is appreciated. AFAIK, it does not
> randomly quit on Leopard, BTW, but I've changed so many things with
> the VM, this is likely not representative.
>
> Andre

Re: [ANN] Example MacOS X Development

stéphane ducasse-2
Really amazing work!
Is there any chance that poor mac users can benefit from this work in
the future?
Alan?
James?

Stef

On 26 nov. 07, at 15:11, Andre Schnoor wrote:

> Although the gain of graphics performance (800%) is best noticed
> when working with the IDE (lots of text and nested tabs), a
> graphical benchmark might still give an impression: Thumb-scrolling
> 40,000 polygons on a MacBook was not a problem ;-)

Re: [ANN] Example MacOS X Development

stéphane ducasse-2
sadly there was not even a remark by somebody of cincom. :(
Andre do you think that it would be possible that we (poor mac users)
can get access to your modified VM?

Stef

On 26 nov. 07, at 15:11, Andre Schnoor wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Mac developers might be interested to have a look and give some
> feedback.
>
> We recently released a native Aqua application. If anyone is
> curious how it looks, feels, performs and sounds: A free demo is
> available for download. It runs on Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5)
> as a universal binary. The product might be an example of what can
> be done with VW in the realms of desktop software on native MacOS
> X, if one goes through the effort of extending the current level of
> platform integration.
>
> I couldn't resist and begun resembling Apple's Aqua design inside
> the portable Chimera L&F framework. Especially regarding dialog
> layout, menu behavior and fonts. The look is slightly different on
> Leopard, BTW. UIPainter can not yet distinguish between action
> buttons and dialog buttons, hence I needed to sacrifice the blue
> Aqua drops in favor of slick small action buttons for now. Perhaps
> someone knows of a simple way to extend the UIPainter palette?
>
> Although the gain of graphics performance (800%) is best noticed
> when working with the IDE (lots of text and nested tabs), a
> graphical benchmark might still give an impression: Thumb-scrolling
> 40,000 polygons on a MacBook was not a problem ;-)
>
> The product implements Mac-faithful menus and keyboard behavior.
> The native Mac menu bar dynamically mirrors plain Smalltalk menus,
> for instance, which is very easy to maintain (i.e. enablement,
> dynamic labels, submenus and keyboard shortcuts "just work" as
> expected on a Mac). There are more add-ons like native print
> dialogs, floating tool panels, double-click to open documents, etc,
> that add to the overall user experience.
>
> Overview page:
> http://tinyurl.com/2lszck
>
> To get an impression without exploring the demo, there's also a
> video. Although it shows a different, more complex application, the
> general look and user experience is the same:
> http://tinyurl.com/2s3knp
>
> Should anyone try the demo and encounter technical issues, please
> notify me off list. Any feedback is appreciated. AFAIK, it does not
> randomly quit on Leopard, BTW, but I've changed so many things with
> the VM, this is likely not representative.
>
> Andre

Re: [ANN] Example MacOS X Development

giorgiof
Hi,
After  all of the talks done regarding the two hot topics: Pollock being killed, and the problems on the Mac VM (and now there is also a living demonstration that a nice mac could be possible (!)),I think  it would be absolutely nice to have someone at Cincom  clearly say what are the things going on on the Mac VM and on Wrapper.
If I'm not wrong, there was a bunch of people quite skeptical about the general announcement (non in the Vassili meaning..) of a general review of the framework. I don't want to trust them:-(.
I think silence in this case is not the best thing (or will you surprise us next January?).

BTW, as a personal feeling, I'm really well impressed by the work going on on VW as a DLL, and the work for having a faster /easier integration with C and Assembler (work done both by Cincomers and by supporters...) thanks for that!
To be more honest: thanks for all of the work you are doing, I can see the result, but, as you know, we want more...

Ciao

On Dec 4, 2007 8:09 AM, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
sadly there was not even a remark by somebody of cincom. :(
Andre do you think that it would be possible that we (poor mac users)
can get access to your modified VM?

Stef

On 26 nov. 07, at 15:11, Andre Schnoor wrote:

> Hi all,

> Mac developers might be interested to have a look and give some
> feedback.
>
> We recently released a native Aqua application. If anyone is
> curious how it looks, feels, performs and sounds: A free demo is
> available for download. It runs on Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5)
> as a universal binary. The product might be an example of what can
> be done with VW in the realms of desktop software on native MacOS
> X, if one goes through the effort of extending the current level of
> platform integration.
>
> I couldn't resist and begun resembling Apple's Aqua design inside
> the portable Chimera L&F framework. Especially regarding dialog
> layout, menu behavior and fonts. The look is slightly different on
> Leopard, BTW. UIPainter can not yet distinguish between action
> buttons and dialog buttons, hence I needed to sacrifice the blue
> Aqua drops in favor of slick small action buttons for now. Perhaps

> someone knows of a simple way to extend the UIPainter palette?
>
> Although the gain of graphics performance (800%) is best noticed
> when working with the IDE (lots of text and nested tabs), a
> graphical benchmark might still give an impression: Thumb-scrolling
> 40,000 polygons on a MacBook was not a problem ;-)
>
> The product implements Mac-faithful menus and keyboard behavior.
> The native Mac menu bar dynamically mirrors plain Smalltalk menus,
> for instance, which is very easy to maintain (i.e. enablement,
> dynamic labels, submenus and keyboard shortcuts "just work" as
> expected on a Mac). There are more add-ons like native print
> dialogs, floating tool panels, double-click to open documents, etc,
> that add to the overall user experience.
>
> Overview page:
> http://tinyurl.com/2lszck
>
> To get an impression without exploring the demo, there's also a
> video. Although it shows a different, more complex application, the
> general look and user experience is the same:
> http://tinyurl.com/2s3knp
>
> Should anyone try the demo and encounter technical issues, please
> notify me off list. Any feedback is appreciated. AFAIK, it does not
> randomly quit on Leopard, BTW, but I've changed so many things with
> the VM, this is likely not representative.
>
> Andre

Re: [ANN] Example MacOS X Development

James Robertson-7
We are making progress on the Mac VM, but at present we still have one hard problem to solve.  On the GUI, there are some widget improvements (updated Grid) coming in the January release, but in preview.  The reason for preview is that the main developer working on that has been pulled in multiple directions over the last couple of months.  We intend to take a major look at at UI tools and widgets in the next release.

> [...]

> for instance, which is very easy to maintain (i.e. enablement,
> dynamic labels, submenus and keyboard shortcuts "just work" as
> expected on a Mac). There are more add-ons like native print
> dialogs, floating tool panels, double-click to open documents, etc,
> that add to the overall user experience.
>
> Overview page:
> http://tinyurl.com/2lszck
>
> To get an impression without exploring the demo, there's also a
> video. Although it shows a different, more complex application, the
> general look and user experience is the same:
> http://tinyurl.com/2s3knp
>
> Should anyone try the demo and encounter technical issues, please
> notify me off list. Any feedback is appreciated. AFAIK, it does not
> randomly quit on Leopard, BTW, but I've changed so many things with
> the VM, this is likely not representative.

Thanks.

Having a good and sexy ui is definitively important.

stef
On 4 déc. 07, at 12:27, James Robertson wrote:

> We are making progress on the Mac VM, but at present we still have
> one hard problem to solve.  On the GUI, there are some widget
> improvements (updated Grid) coming in the January release, but in
> preview.  The reason for preview is that the main developer working
> on that has been pulled in multiple directions over the last couple
> of months.  We intend to take a major look at at UI tools and
> widgets in the next release.

Thanks, James,

and please don't forget the Announcements (this time in the Vassili meanings...).

ciao

Giorgio

On Dec 4, 2007 12:27 PM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:
We are making progress on the Mac VM, but at present we still have one hard problem to solve.  On the GUI, there are some widget improvements (updated Grid) coming in the January release, but in preview.  The reason for preview is that the main developer working on that has been pulled in multiple directions over the last couple of months.  We intend to take a major look at at UI tools and widgets in the next release.

After  all of the talks done regarding the two hot topics: Pollock being killed, and the problems on the Mac VM (and now there is also a living demonstration that a nice mac could be possible (!)),I think  it would be absolutely nice to have someone at

Re: [ANN] Example MacOS X Development

Mark Pirogovsky-3
James,

James Robertson wrote:

> We are making progress on the Mac VM, but at present we still have one
> hard problem to solve.  On the GUI, there are some widget improvements
> (updated Grid) coming in the January release, but in preview.  The
> reason for preview is that the main developer working on that has been
> pulled in multiple directions over the last couple of months.  We intend
> to take a major look at at UI tools and widgets in the next release.

Can you define "the next release" please, is it 7.6 or it is 7.7 which
is more than a year away ?

Re: [ANN] Example MacOS X Development

James Robertson-7
The next release of Cincom Smalltalk - VW 7.6 and ObjectStudio 8.1 - is
scheduled for January of 2008

>> We are making progress on the Mac VM, but at present we still have one
>> hard problem to solve.  On the GUI, there are some widget improvements
>> (updated Grid) coming in the January release, but in preview.  The reason
>> for preview is that the main developer working on that has been pulled in
>> multiple directions over the last couple of months.  We intend to take a
>> major look at at UI tools and widgets in the next release.
>>

> Can you define "the next release" please, is it 7.6 or it is 7.7 which is
> more than a year away ?

Re: [ANN] Example MacOS X Development

James Robertson-7
Ok, to make sure that I'm being clear, while the upcoming release is slated
for January, that's not really answering the question.  The GUI improvements
I alluded to will be one of the focuses of the follow on release - which
should be about a year after this coming one.

Having said that, the RB has been given a facelift in the upcoming release,
and an improved Grid widget will be in the "preview" directory.  We should
have some additional news about our Seaside support in the near term future
as well.

stéphane ducasse wrote:
> Andre do you think that it would be possible that we (poor mac users)
> can get access to your modified VM?

Stephane, IIRC, the license with Cincom doesn't permit one to distribute
derivative works that can be used as a Smalltalk IDE. Besides that, it's
not just the VM. It's a more complete project including proprietary
system packages that I can not publish at the moment. At least not in
their current state. Hopefully anytime soon, I'll find the time to sort
this out and check the options more thoroughly.

Andre

BTW: The VM that comes with the download is stripped and strictly
runtime. It won't work with development images.

BTW2: Thanks to everyone who downloaded the demo and provided private
feedback so far. I was quite happy with the overall response ;-)